IDPA Match Costs

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Spartan24, Jun 8, 2020.

1. fredj338

fredj338

I am an idpa CSO, SOI, shot & worked Nats, Worlds, a bunch of state matches. I AMD & CSO at my local club but decided to start my own to control match quality.
    Props needed are walls & barrels. You can put on a good match with little else to start. Do paper scoring to start, cheaper than buying pads. You need targets, tape, target stands.
    The key to a good match are good stages, I can't emphasise that enough. Nothing worse than showing up to shoot a match with crap stages, unless you just want to pull the trigger. Imo it requires quite a bit of creative thinking or attending good sanctioned matches to design good stages. You can of course go on line & find 100s to adapt to your range.
    If the 4 bays are wide enough or deep enough, you can set up 2 stages in one bay. If not, 4 main stages with a single target drill in each bay as a starter, gives you 5. Add a 1-2 target stage at the end in each bay for 6 stages. Lots of ways to fit more shooting into,a small range.
    If you want to be a legal idpa club, you need yo go online & reg & pay a fee. Try it out first, then decide if you want affiliation. You'll need certified SO at some point. You should download the rules & be familiar. Nothing irritates good shooters like stages that dont follow the basic rules. Good SO staff make any match run better. Have fun, be safe.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    SARDG likes this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

What xtra work? Other than registering with idpa as a club, you dont have to do much. Run a classifier annually, thats it. I think most people dont want to follow rules so they have idpa style shooting. Which is fine btw, but its not like being an idpa member is like being a peta member. I know the rules say you must be a member to shoot at club matches but most clubs dont enforce it strongly for local tier 1. I have two prices for my match, idpa & non. $5-$10 diff is incentive to join idpa. Shoot 4-8 matches a year & you paid your dues.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    SARDG likes this.

3. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

If only I could get my chapter of The Well Armed Woman to read the rules before competing. Some began with GSSF nearly a year ago, then IDPA about 4 months ago, now SCSA within the last month. No one seems interested in reading and understanding the nitty-gritty of any of the rules prior to shooting, so guessing Bob or Jim's Wild West Tacticool Shoot would be fine for them. Most are happy with mistakes and OJT. I need structure to get better... but I'm a former IDPA SO.

fredj338 likes this.
  4. fredj338

fredj338

I thought not reading instruction was a guy thing?:cheers:
    As a SO you know this but we say you learn idpa one P at a time. We do like a 10min brief for new shooters going over range commands & basic penalty no-no. They still get a lot of Ps, timer goes buzz & their brain shuts off, but if they dont DQ, its a win.

SARDG likes this.
  5. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I thought so, too. Who knew?

I went to this club's IDPA match once at this range with the ladies to see if I could offer any inside help to get them started down the right path. I don't shoot IDPA any more since I injured my foot - SCSA and GSSF is more my speed now. Out of 6 or so ladies, shooting for 4 months, there has been one DQ about 3 months ago. They are improving... but I tend to be more competitive and they like having fun. I tell them that fun is for losers... I'm out for blood! :D Good cheap entertainment for $15, though - fun or blood!

They are doing okay at avoiding pros and pens, but their raw times and especially PDs are killing them. 60-75 PD tonight. One of the gals has been fairly consistent with 4-stage finals over 300 each week. (I don't go any longer, I just pick up the after-action on PractiScore.)

fredj338 likes this.