IDPA Match Costs

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Spartan24, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Spartan24

Spartan24

At the gun range I belong to I’ve volunteered and been tasked with setting up club tactical shoots. It’s just like IDPA but not affiliated. I’ve attended many IDPA matches in multiple places. I’ve never run one. The club needs to know how much to budget for this seasons shoots and I’m not quite sure what a match needs as far as resources and quantity. I’ve done an inventory and we are good for a match or two with the amount of targets and pasters, but then we’ll be out. I know spray paint, barriers, and props add extra. So, if anyone here is familiar with running a similar shoot and willing to give some advice on logistics and costs I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

2. jdw174

jdw174

You'll need target stands, a few plastic barrels, barricades and spray paint. As for targets and pasters, it depends on how many stages you'll run and how many targets/shots per stage. If you're going to adhere to IDPA standards, you'll use less targets than, say, a USPSA shoot and round count will be less. My club used to be IDPA affiliated and our matches probably averaged about 60 rounds. We switched to USPSA and our last match was almost 150 rounds....that is if you didn't miss anything.

If you want to get really fancy, there are all kinds of specialty targets available. My club has floppers, swingers, Texas Stars in 2 variations, and the good old poppers, but the cost of these does add up if you buy them. You'll also need a supply of lathing strips for the uprights to attach the targets to. It all depends on how far you want to go. The sky is the limit.

Spartan24 likes this.

3. KeithC

KeithC

I’ve MD’d at two startup IDPA clubs.

Usual price at clubs in my area is $15, with a $5 discount if you’re an IDPA or club member, or if you help set up. So minimum price is $10. Most matches here have two squads of 12, so the revenue from each match is nominally $200 (MDs shoot free). We usually have a quick warmup stage, and then 4 18-round stages. We’ll use about 40 targets per match, and save non-threats, as there usually aren’t many holes in them. I figure about $1 per target (tape and paint cost included), so you’ll realize roughly $150/match profit. Over time, you can use this to buy props.

The round and square steel targets that sit on a rod that you drive into the ground are a cheap way to have a few non-cardboard shots until you have enough saved to buy swingers, pop-ups, etc.

Use Practiscore for sign-up and scores. The software is free, and it will make your life much easier.

I’ve MD’d Tier 1 matches for some time now. I’d be happy share my experience with you. If you want to discuss, PM me, and I’ll send you my phone no.

Spartan24 likes this.
  4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I ran the Apply Valley IDPA from March 98 to June 2005, put on 2 State matches and a Regional match. The club already had a good supply of props from the previous USPSA days. Other than sticks and stands and targets and tape, you'll also need timers. Practiscore has made things super easy these days. But the biggest thing is getting a dedicated crew to setup and tear down stages, training up your RO's. And don't forget event liability insurance to protect the RO's, club officers and land owners.

SARDG likes this.
  5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

double

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

double tap

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Spartan, how many bays do you have available and how many stages do you intend to run?

8. Spartan24

Spartan24

I have 4 bays available, technically 5. The first shoot I was going to do a qualifier with a side match.

9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I would not do a qualifier "classifier" if it's not an IDPA match. Since it's club level, it's your rules. Setup 4 fast and fun stages, not to tricky, and see how the local crowd likes it.

10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Small local matches should be high on entertainment and not so technical.

Snoopy47 and jdw174 like this.
  11. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

My first suggestion would be to affiliate with one of the major orgs (USPSA or IDPA)

Nothing worse than going to "Bob's Tactical Shoot" and dealing with the rules he made up

Webologist likes this.
  12. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Most of the time, Bob thinks IDPA RoE is too choreographed and USPSA scoring is too complicated, so you get freestyle shooting with time plus scoring. That is manageable.
    It is when Bob gets delusions of tacticality and starts making up RoE that it throws shooters accustomed to standard procedures off their game.

I have one coming up this weekend that I will probably attend even though I have no idea whose shooting rules will apply; not to mention some strange gun divisions.

13. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

I suppose it depends on your market. Here I can shoot USPSA or IDPA multiple times each weekend, so Bob's match has no interest to me, because I want a well defined ruleset when I show up somewhere. If there was nothing else going on for weeks at a time maybe I'd venture out to an "outlaw" match but in most cases, no thanks.

14. xls177

xls177

Tablets for using Pratiscore scoring unless your gonna do paper and tabulate it after.
    A WI FI router to sync the tablets.

15. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Practiscore on a tablet is great, you only have to handle the numbers once and results are usually up the same day; often by the time I get home.
    But the tablet can be hard to read in the sun and an error is tedious to correct... if you notice it at all.

16. Spartan24

Spartan24

That's good advice and we have decided to follow it. We are trying to build a club so getting people to attend and keep coming is important.

17. Spartan24

Spartan24

Unfortunately we are a very small and rural club. I'm the only IDPA member and I travel 2 1/2 hours to get to an affiliated club once a month. We are using the IDPA rulebook as our rules. I want the club to become affiliated, but right now we are in such an infancy that I don't see it this year.

SARDG likes this.
  18. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

My small club shoots regulation USPSA but is not affiliated. I think the guy running it does not want the extra administrative work.

When we started IDPA I took a survey and most of the members said they would not attend an event they had to pay dues to another outfit for. So we shot IDPA "style" for a good while until the present MD is smarter than Bill Wilson so now we have Tom's Tactical.

19. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Don't knock off USPSA or IDPA or Steel Challenge club rules. Regulation is an affiliated club with a number listed at USPSA.org or IDPA.com or SCSA.com. Either join or call it Jim's Practical Pistol match.

fredj338 likes this.
  20. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

While you don't ever have to join either the USPSA or SCSA to compete (course you will never shoot a Level 2 match or be classified), IDPA relies completely on membership dues.