close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IDPA I need new shooter tips

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by rbnfl, Feb 21, 2010.

1. rbnfl

rbnfl

I'll be shooting in my first IDPA match in about 2 weeks. I am looking for a few tips so I can learn the sport a little quicker. Any input is appreciated. The club where it takes place has a group for first time IDPA competitors, which should help.

2. ducati

ducati

Go slow, listen to other shooters. Be safe and have fun..

3. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Go slow, take a deep breath, don't go for speed but accuracy (speed will come), watch what others are doing, ask questions, be honestly curious / courteous, and overall.........have fun.

4. 1stSSPZ

1stSSPZ

5. rbnfl

rbnfl

Great info. Thanks to everyone.

6. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I posted this on another forum but it could hold the same anywhere.

Without sounding like one of those preachy internet commando know-it-alls, practice being safe, first.

At the beginning of each match, while you are reloading, while you are moving, and at the end of each match watch where your trigger finger is at. Keeping your finger out of the trigger guard while doing those; that's #1

After that, like others have said, practice drawing and dry-firing one shot. practice with the same concealment garment you plan on using in the match.

Also, good to do while dry-fire practicing, is your mag changes. Find the way you are most comfortable holding the magazine. For me, my index finger rides down the front of the mag, with the base plate in my palm and thumb and middle finger on either side of the mag. Bring the mag up to the gun, not the gun to the mag. You shouldn't ever dip your head down to watch the reload, you should be looking straight ahead, and have the gun up in the air with it tilted slightly where you can look right where the magazine is going. That way you never take your eyes off the target completely. Also, practice drawing your mags from their pouch so you know which way to have them oriented; I learned that the hard! I grabbed a mag I had stuck in there backwards and, no matter how much you cuss at it, it doesn't fit in the mag hole backwards!

The 3 types of reloads to practice. First, is the easiest, which is a slide-lock or emergency reload. It's easy; you are ejecting a spent mag and letting it fall free while retrieving a loaded mag. As a note, you can only let the mag fall free to the ground IF the slide is back. Even if you KNOW there is not a round left the in the mag, if the slide is forward when the reload is started you have to retain the mag. Remember, keep your head up and your eyes on the target while reloading. While this is very basic, it's worth training because you need to find the best way for YOU to release the slide. You can hit the slide release lever, do a sling-shot style or over-hand style slide grab. The easiest would be reaching your weak hand over the top, grabbing the slide near the rear sites and pulling back and releasing, charging the gun that way. Hitting the slide release can take a bit of practice and in the heat of competition, that little lever can be a hard thing to find.

The other 2 types can easily be mistaken for the other since all the movements, timing, and descriptions are the same. It just matters what you do first. A Tactical Reload is where you retrieve a loaded magazine FIRST, THEN you eject the mag currently in your gun, retain it, and then insert your fresh mag in the gun. Then you store the newly ejected mag somewhere on your person.

A Reload with Retention is nearly the same thing. The difference is WHEN you eject the magazine. With the RWR, you would eject the mag first, stow it somewhere in a pocket or pouch, THEN retrieve a fresh mag and recharge the weapon. All of this with your head up, gun in front of your face, facing downrange at your target.

Good luck, have fun and let us know how you do!

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Great advice. Slow and safe is the best way to start. And don't worry about being competitive right away just enjoy yourself.

8. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Expect to be slow. Know that everyone behind you KNOWS you'll be slow, and no one is laughing. We were all there when we started.

Since your fastest speed would simply result in penalties, possibly sweeping the gun muzzle across something it shouldn't have crossed, and you'll STILL be slower than everyone else?

Relax, take a long time to shoot the stage, and hit the targets as cleanly as you can. You will beat all the other new guys if you just get two good hits in everything. Remember, what feels like superfreakingfast to you is actually glacier-slow to everyone watching, who isn't experiencing a first-match adrenaline rush. So don't try to be fast - be accurate.

TAKE A LONG TIME. BE ACCURATE. BE SAFE.

9. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

If you haven't already, download the rules from the IDPA website. There's some rather technical stuff in there, I'd focus on the things that are YOUR responsibility, and have mostly been already mentioned.

Read over that two or three times and you'll know what's expected of you, then pay close attention to what others are doing as they shoot. Don't try to shoot as FAST as they do, just try to get the hang of things of first.

11. HK Dan

HK Dan

1) Don't try to "make an impression". Impress them by being completely, utterly safe. You don't need great gear or a fancy gun; if you just conduct yourself in a safe manner, they will be looking at you and saying "This is a good guy to have in our group".

2) Great advice on accuracy v. speed. You must shoot at your own pace. Don't get caught up in other people rythm (pace of shots), just do what you can do as quickly as you can get hits. Disregard the other performances--they aren't yours.

3) IDPA is very scripted. Everyone will shoot the stages pretty much the same way. Know that 'way'. Be familiar with the stage instructions and special rules that may be in there.

4) If you can, help with set up. Our club sets up the day prior and places targets an hour before sign in begins. Plan to stick around after the match and help tear down. Clubs are always short on help and they will be grateful for anything you can offer.

5) HAVE FUN. It's a game. Talk, socialize, and work with them on stage resets (pasting targets, picking up brass, reseting steel, etc). Again, just be yourself, don't try to make an impression. They're just regular guys (who shoot really, really well). LOL

G'luck buddy!
    Dan

12. ck1

ck1 Some Dude

Like the others have said: take it slow and be safe and remember just by showing up you've improved your shooting a bit, so there's no rush.

As far as a solid tip on the shooting part: if you don't already, force yourself to learn to shoot with both eyes open! - once the you start to get it you'll be amazed what it does for you! Here's a good vid on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCsktp0pO10

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  13. WatchmanUSA

WatchmanUSA Member & IDPA

Most clubs don't put new members up front in the order. Watch the shooters in front of you and see what they are doing and how they approach the stage. My club teams a new shooter with a Safety Officer (SO). That way you can ask questions plus the SO will introduce you to members.

Just take your time and enjoy shooting.

14. Unicron

Unicron Millennium Member

rbnfl,

i am in the same boat as you, going to my first idpa meet today after work. i will let you know how it goes.

15. Unicron

hmm...should i shoot with the 23C or the 35?

16. Jon_R

Jon_R

If it is IDPA you can't shoot the 23C unless it is not C. :)

17. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Unicron, like Jon_R said, you'll have to do it with the 35 but I'd be willing to make a bet that if it is your first time they'll let you shoot and then explain that if you want to continue you'll have to look into either swapping barrels or going for a non-compensated pistol.

Most clubs should be willing to let a new shooter try it out as long as their rig is safe, even if it is a non-IDPA approved pistol. We had a guy show up with a light on his and everybody, to a man, didn't mind as long as once he decided to join, he knew he'd have to take it off or switch guns.

Let us know how it goes for you; my next match is next Saturday and I'm ready to go!

18. Jon_R

Jon_R

My next match was going to be on Sun but it got canceled because of the state match and we where missing to many SOs. I plan to shoot the state match next year. I need to settle on a pistol. I shoot 12 IDPAs a year and probably use 8 different pistols. :) I might start shooting two clubs a month vs. one.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  19. Unicron

Jon_R & DustyDawg48,

whoh...thanks for the heads up on the C. good thing i threw my 35 in the range bag this morning.

With my current holsters, the tip of the 35 sticks out a bit at the end of the holster. i didn't see any issues glancing through the rulebook. shouldn't have any issues if i am not out there to compete correct?

20. Jon_R

Jon_R

You will be fine. As long as the holster is safe no cross draw or shoulder holster we let new shooters go ahead and shoot but will let them know if their holster is not within the rules. There is no rule about the slide sticking out the bottom of the holster but there are other holster rules.

If your match has any fire from retention you be glad you are not shooting the 23C. That usually ends up with the compensated gasses coming up under your glasses. Not really dangerous but will get your attention the first time.