IDPA big improvement for me today!

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Glocktrekker, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Glocktrekker

Glocktrekker

I have been really working hard on accuracy and was rewarded at today's match with a total of 18 pts. down! HUGE improvement for me...score was a personal best and as a SSP Novice, I scored above quite a few SSP Marksmen!

I picked up a gun for the first time in June '09 and have been at the IDPA thing since September (69 pts. down and dead last at my first event)

Forums like this and the advice that is available and the great people who are willing to comment and help were a big part of my improvement. Thanks to all who have helped both directly and indirectly...sometimes you don't realize what an impact you make when you take the time to post a comment!

Really enjoying the shooting sport- (started shooting steel as well...) and looking forward to many years of enjoyment! (Now if I can just convince my wife that a gun safe is furniture....) :whistling:

2. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Excellent job! That sounds like me from my shoot in January. Even though the weather kept many shooters away, I was able to post my best ever scores. I know it's hard to compare since the courses change from match to match, but after shooting IDPA for a year I can see myself getting better.

Nothing adds to your skill building like shooting under pressure. By yourself at the range with nothing but a piece of paper is still good, but shooting on the clock, in front of your peers with results the whole world will see; it shines a light on areas that need work and showcases the areas you excel in.

My next shoot is this Saturday and it's not getting here soon enough. I hope I can have a repeat performance but I'm glad to just be out shooting.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Good job! Keep working on the accuracy. Remember speed will come naturally once you get comfortable with accuracy.

4. Glocktrekker

Glocktrekker

Excellent point! Actually, I can't imagine ANYONE even CONSIDERING presenting their weapon in a "real" situation if they have never done IDPA, USPSA or something like that-

When that buzzer goes off your adrenaline soars and your fine motor skills go out the window. If it is that bad in a situation with cardboard targets, imagine what it would be with a live BG!!!!

I don't care how many thousands of rounds you put downrange in a range/silhouettes- just not the same, and IMHO does little to prepare you for when you might need it!

5. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Yeah, I'm not in any hurry to find out just how bad facing down a BG would be!

The thing I'm finding out now is that I'm able to think about 2 or 3 moves ahead instead of being just 'in the moment.' It's what I imagine being good at chess is like where you are able to see something coming up, a potentially difficult target or mag change, and be ready for it instead of just realizing that my guns empty with the slide back, now what the hell do I do?

6. Glocktrekker

Glocktrekker

:rofl: I know exactly what you mean! I kinda wish I could have had a video of the first match- it would be a youtube sensation....

7. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

you are now used to the odd things IDPA requires you to do.
    i hope to get there someday. lol

8. LadyDoc

LadyDoc

Another new shooter and new IDPA-er here.
    Bought my first firearm in March (G19), and joined IDPA in October in time for the Last local match of the season.

I enjoyed myself SO much. My time stank, but I "cleaned" three of the five stages at my first match, so I was tickled. (The scorers said "I thought you said you were a new shooter?") But now I've got the heebie jeebies, because the next match isn't 'til April.

I too have been working on accuracy and hope to post a big improvement as you have. Congrats!

9. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I learned a lot my first couple of matched and I'd pay good money to see videos of them, too! Between trying to put a mag in backwards to engaging the bad guys with an empty gun, I have had better days!

10. HK Dan

HK Dan

Outstanding! Your first year, you will see meteoric improvement. It slows down after that, so be ready; you see improvement come in stalls and bumps. Keep working on the fundamentals! Every session starts with group shooting for us, because if ya can't make a hard shot on demand, you won't make an easy shot fast, either. Do dryfire draws, reloads, and target transitions. Ben Stoeger's program is good, and so is Steve Anderson's "Refinement and Repetition".

Finally, when you have the fundamentals down to a subconscious level, and you no longer have to think about the shooting--read Brian Enos' "Beyond Fundamentals". Right now, it's going to be like watching a bad episode of "Kung Fu". At the point where you've achieved unconscious competence, it's going to open your eyes!

Have fun, keep it up!
    Dan

11. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I like that "unconscious competence." I'm not a Zen master just yet, but I can see a huge difference in the way I'm able to approach a course both before during the description and again while I'm running it.

I classified as Sharpshooter in both CDP (Springfield 1911) and ESP (Glock 35) my first time out. I was on the lower end of the SS scale so I have a bit of improvement to make before I can even say I'm knocking on the door of Expert. I am shooting different guns and will also qualify my G17 for SSP, my CDP is now a Glock 21. I think I've gotten better; I still find myself watching the target instead of the front sight, but those times are getting fewer and fewer.