Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The whole "Cops Aren't Going to Do Anything to Me!" thread ("The ‘cops aren’t going to do anything to me!" - Wrong again | Page 3 | Glock Forum - GlockTalk ) got me wondering if others here have witnessed/had to intervene in incidents aboard a flight.

I had two occasions, both occurred prior to take-off.

The first was around 1990. I was headed cross-country to SF to meet my gf. An accident and heavy traffic en route to the airport meant (a) making the flight was going to be a close-call, and (b) if I did make it, I certainly was losing my First Class upgrade. Sprinting down an endless concourse in a suit, carrying bags, dodging people everywhere, I arrive at an empty gate. Getting to the end of the open Jetway, the gate agent says it'll be a minute before I can board as they have to first get an intoxicated passenger off the plane. Engines are running, two flight attendants are trying to coax a visibly sloshed woman off the plane, assuring her it isn't going anywhere with her on it. Too drunk to see straight, she can barely stand. When she stumbles a step forward, two other flight attendants move up behind her to keep her from heading back into the plane.

I'm hot, I'm sweaty, I'm going to be crammed into a center seat for a five-hour flight. My gf and I have a dinner reservation I don't want to miss. And the engines are wasting fuel. Of course, the flight attendants can't lay a hand on her. After standing around for four or five minutes during which time the drunk made it a total of about 20 inches closer to the doorway, I just bellow into the plane, "Lady, you've got to the count of three to get off this plane or I'm taking you off!" She tries to focus a drunken evil eye on me as I count down, "Three, two, one . . ."

I drop my bags on the Jetway, the gate agent and flight attendants obligingly step aside, I pick the woman up by her shoulders and carry her out deep into the Jetway, where the gate agent blocks her path back to the plane. The flight attendants rush forward to close the door while I head to the only open seat (middle, last row, doesn't recline) and try to find a place to stow my gear.

Flight attendants couldn't have been nicer. I felt badly for them; they can't do much without risking the airline getting sued when the drunk sobers up.

The second incident was post 9/11 at Washington Reagan. People were boarding a westbound flight. I had just gotten settled in. A Japanese businessman stood in the aisle next to me with a suitcase obviously too big for the overhead compartment or anywhere else (he really shouldn't have been allowed to bring it aboard). He's holding up a long line of passengers while he tries wrestling the case into a space where the laws of physics will not allow it to go.

A flight attendant very politely approaches him and says she'll need to check the bag for him. He insists it will fit and keeps struggling. She repeats she'll need to check it for him and reaches for the handle, in response to which he forcefully grabs her her forearm and tells her not to ever touch his bag again. That, of course, is a federal crime and flips my go switch. I jump straight up from my seat and shout in a voice the entire plane must have heard, "DO NOT TOUCH HER! SIT DOWN NOW!" "MISS! TAKE THAT BAG!" I then lean over the completely shocked bully who all but melted into his seat, "DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH A FLIGHT CREW MEMBER AGAIN! DO YOU UNDERSTAND? NEVER!"

To his credit, the guy didn't move from his seat until we landed three hours later. Hope he learned something.

Anyone else here ever have to intervene?

·
It ain't over
8,275 Posts
I guess I just don't get it... Rioters, arsonists, cop assault, etc..., flight morons should be charged with a felony and the prosecution should follow through. "I'm not afraid of the cops/COURTS" should never be on the mind of anyone breaking a law. Jail time and felony records would go a long way to solving some of our problems.

I know, liberal judges will have their skirt fly up in their face and will pee down their leg. But consequences are what gets things done.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've never had to intervene but I guess you could say I was an idiot on a plane once. It was a brisk October morning in 2008 and my wife and I were going on our honeymoon. This was my first time flying commercial airlines. Prior to our wedding I was booking our trip online and I must have had 15-20 different browser tabs open, I'll come back to this point later on. We have our wedding, clean up after the reception, go to our apartment to grab our bags, change clothes and get dropped off at the airport hotel. Our flight was set to leave at 07:30 with a layover in Charlotte. We get to the gate and show our ID to which we are informed my wife can't board the plane. I booked the trip using my last name but her documents still had her maiden name. I begged them that we just got married and needed to board and the response I got was "get us a copy of a marriage license and you can get on the plane". I called our pastor and had him fax a copy to a machine at the airport and then we got on the plane.

Honeymoon was nice and it was time to go home. Our condo was a 7 night stay and our flight home was going to be a Sunday afternoon. I was checking pricing in those tabs and comparing Sunday-Sunday vs. Sunday-Saturday to see if I could save us any money since we were newly weds and just starting out. We were packing up Saturday night and I was checking out our boarding passes to verify the flight time and wouldn't you know I booked our flights to fly out on Saturday instead of Sunday. My wife knew I was in panic mode as I turned pale white and looked like I was going to pass out. Our flight home had already departed so I called the airline and was sold 2 tickets home the following day for a sweet last minute price lol. Live and learn.

I just remembered that my wife hates flying and took dramamine the morning of our departing flight from Columbus. We were delayed 30 minutes so they could de-ice the plane or something along those lines which made us almost miss our connecting flight. As we were making our approach I was physically shaking my wife to wake her up and get her ready to run. I was literally running through the terminal dragging her along and we got to the gate as they were making the final boarding call. Good times. We both would rather drive for vacation now and enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
Things like that don’t seem to ever happen when I’m around. Not that I have anything to do with it, but I am lucky that way. When I hear about things like that I try to imagine myself helping out, but not sure what the outcome might be..

·
Registered
432 Posts
On the way to Mexico twenty plus years ago a drunk got his liquor cut off and became belligerent. Yelling, kicking the seat in front of him, throwing wadded up trash, the flight attendants did nothing above asking him to calm down.
After we landed there were big lines going through customs. The same guy started pushing and cutting his way through the line. All of a sudden he made a a run for it and jumped over one of the turnstiles.
A bunch of Federales gave chase and tackled him to the cheers and applause of the passengers waiting in line after riding with him for hours on that plane.
That episode kicked off a great vacation!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
On my last flight, I got into a spirited discussion with the pilot. I told him to stop doing stupid stuff and if he didn't I would kick him out of his seat and solve the problem myself....

Then again, I am the unit instructor pilot so there is that.

·
USN Retired
7,946 Posts
On my last flight, I got into a spirited discussion with the pilot. I told him to stop doing stupid stuff and if he didn't I would kick him out of his seat and solve the problem myself....

Then again, I am the unit instructor pilot so there is that.
I'm confused...
Do you treat sick and injured dogs or instruct pilots?

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
There was that time when I put that beligerant centenarian from Okinawa in her place. I won't go into details, but she got the point, and was silent the rest of the flight. If I recall correctly, I think she died at some point during the flight.

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
4,211 Posts
Back in 1977 a crew of us (16) were heading to Tokyo via JAL (747) for a mainframe installation and we put on quite the harmless show for the rest of the passengers and stewardesses. I can't remember if the flight was from MPLS or Seattle to Tokyo but it was a very long and we ended up drinking them out of beer. Or maybe they cut us off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts