Idiotic Gun Store Antics Amdist The Great Panic

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DaBurna, Jan 29, 2013.

1. DaBurna

DaBurna

Anybody seen any craaaaazy stuff or heard obnoxious stories during this MASS HYSTERIA?:upeyes:

Here's a few from my local region:

-LGS here is- buying 100 round packs of .223 and breaking them down in ziplock baggies of 20 and selling them for $20/ bag

-Glock Happy Stix are going for $150.00 and you can only purchase one if u're buying a Glock at the time of purchase

-AR's & AK's are of course OUTTA SIGHT I saw my Colt M-4 model (barely fired) going for $1900 on consignment. Glad I got mine earlier last fall.

- 50 round boxes of .22lr are $7.99!!! :faint:

Most other stuff is priced about right that's NIB.... But I've seen used prices Soar Thru The Roof!!! It's most definitely NOT the time to be trying to "trade up" or trade in b/c you'll be doing so for pennies on the dollar... It's gonna be one HELLUVA marketplace once this thing settles down!

2. bac1023

bac1023

There's certainly a great deal of crazy stuff going on. Fortunately, my favorite local shops operate honestly. Prices are high though.

3. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

I don't know about gun stores, but my brother went to a gun show last weekend. An AR that my brother paid a grand for at Walmart just months ago was going for $1400 more and 5.56 ammo was going for a dollar a round. The seller told my brother that the AR price was so high "because they aren't being made anymore".

4. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

It's a great time to be on the hunt for all things not "tactical" or EBR-ish.

Locally, some really nice revolvers and wood stocked rifles are getting in the cases and on the used racks because panic stricken buyers are using them as trade ins to acquire the stuff under threat of a ban.

I picked up a S&W 586-2 for a relative song from a friend raising cash to finish two FAL builds. I told him he could give me a good price or pay a slice to the dealer for commission. Between my gun being "off paper" and him getting cash we both saved some hassle and money. Best part is I am the fourth private purchaser of the gun.

Got another guy who wants to trade me a Ruger Speed Six and a third gen Colt DS for my frankly stupid AK-74 and a spam can of ammo for it. I am thinking that one over. Before the panic, I might have traded him the rifle and ammo for the DS alone because it is minty. Now I can hold out for an even better offer.

Find someone in way more of a panic than you are and you can make bank on all sorts of transactions, from purchases to trades. It's not even "gouging" because I am not even proposing these silly trades or fire sale prices of non tactical firearms.

Who knows? My paperless revolver might become more valuable than my papered EBRs someday.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

gun show prices have been stupid for the past 10 or 15 years anyway. I paid $1283 total for my colt LE6920 middle of last year and have seen them sell for upwards of $2500!!! Pmags are selling for $100 each....its crazy indeed!!!

TGG

6. CajunBass

CajunBass

Ain't that the truth? I've picked up a couple of nice 22 handguns for less than $200.00 out the door, a S&W, M&P 38, and a Colt Official Police 38 since the panic buying started. I suppose people could be trading them in for something tactical, or maybe just someone passed away and the family sold a collection, I don't know. The shop has been willing to deal on all of them.

Not bad for me.

7. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

Dealers selling guns without magazines and claiming they don't come with them then charging $50+ each... Everything from pistols to rifles.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Glad my LGS is not like that.

9. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

This. Ryan is being very fair.

10. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

An LGS in Fremont Ne is selling Glock and XD mags for $100.00 a pop! I'm all about the free market so if they're getting it, good for them. That said, I doubt I'll ever set foot through their doors again after seeing that.

11. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

i would love to go into a shop and buy any semi auto hand gun and the shop tell me i have to buy the mags seperately!!
    :whistling:

12. ChallengerSRT

ChallengerSRT

I stopped into Sig-Sauer's store which is only 15 minutes away from my house. There was a wall full of various assault rifles and a guy asked the salesman if they had any in stock. The salesman pointed to only 2 models and the customer asked the price of one of them. Sales guy responded $2,216 at which point the customer said, "I'll take it." I mean, the buyer was so casual about it you'd think he just bought an ice cream cone.
    I wish I had a video of my expression because I was stunned. It was obvious the buyer knew little about the rifle, but he wasn't going to walk out of the store empty handed. I bet by now both models are sold out now too. Sig makes some damned nice weapons so maybe that price was reasonable after all?:dunno:

13. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

bet i can guess which ones.

one refuses to gouge. out and out. that includes consignment.

course, he's starting to restrict ammo sales....he's gotta have something to sell between shipments.

14. Seven High

Seven High

I went to a gun show last weekend. A dealer was selling 5.56 ammo for $1500.00 plus tax for 1000 rounds of 55 gr fmj. I saw one person buy some at that price!

15. HexHead

HexHead

I was at a LGS on Sat., saw a WASR 10/63 for $899.

16. pointnopoint

pointnopoint

Range 9mm ammo going for $26-30 a box (50 rounds, and the cheap stuff too), .223 PMC $20 for 20 rounds, no .22's at all. Pretty crazy stuff...:faint:

17. silentpoet

silentpoet

I have thought about selling since the market is crazy, but it would have to be a really great deal. Thought about selling some stuff off to guns I no longer have. Got some g3 mags, one sig 229 40 mag, and a pmag. Those I might be more inclined to sell in this craziness. Don't want to sell of any guns, but do want to add a HK usp45 if possible. Would really like to end up with usp 9 also. But hard to do that without selling off a couple of guns.

18. ChiTownPicaro

ChiTownPicaro

In these times I am not to surprised that these things are happening. Everyone is going crazy with hysteria. I don't think that there will be a ban myself as the GOP controls the House and as long as they don't go Mitt Romney (Flip-Flop on their positions for political gain) then we will be OK. I am more worried about a high-capacity magazine ban than an Assault Weapons Ban as the High-Capacity magazine ban is more easily accepted by many who are not into guns.

19. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Not in Kansas City - every thing is gone or going.
    I hve been trying to get my wife a .38, and there are none of those either.

It seems some folks fearing a ban, want to have at least one 'ban proof' gun, so the revolvers are going away.

There are a few TC contenders out there, though. And a few bolt guns.