Glock Talk banner

Identify this Cartridge

1521 Views 21 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  BamaGrunt63
Can someone identify the cartridge on the far right? I have .45 auto, and .223 rem next to it for scale.

Was a range pick up.
Ammunition Wood Bullet Gun accessory Gas

Wood Thumb Button Toy Circle
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like an M80 ball round (7.62x51 NATO). It has the NATO cross-circle stamp, and WMA, which I believe makes it Winchester Military Ammunition.
That's what I was leaning towards, but I don't own a .308 or 7.62x51, so I was only going by the limited amount of time I've held the cartridge in the past. Interesting that it doesn't give a clearer caliber marking on the back of the casing.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
That's what I was leaning towards, but I don't own a .308 or 7.62x51, so I was only going by the limited amount of time I've held the cartridge in the past. Interesting that it doesn't give a clearer caliber marking on the back of the casing.
It's the norm for military ammo headstamps.

· Registered
5,591 Posts
I don't want to take up too much of your time, but why is that exactly?
My Internet Guess...
The military uses brief designations probably more for quick identification.
If your M240 needs ammo, you reach for the can that says M80.
If you M4 needs ammo you grab the can that says M855A1.

· Registered
9,601 Posts
AR 10 or SFAR's firing pin bumped the cap a little too.
Military cartridge. The "17" likely means "2017," and probably came in a white box from the ammo cabinet at Walmart.
Probably loaded at East Alton. I have some Winchester M1152 (9x19mm) "MHS" cartridges that have WMA 20 stamped in the head.

· Registered
7,063 Posts
Years ago I bought a few boxes at a gun show. Ammo shoots nice tight groups. Still have maybe 20-40 rounds left. Black Hills made some highly rated Military 7.62 ammo, not sure what it was designed as.
Some of the best surplus 762x51 I ever shot was Australian F1. It's really good ammo and I shot up about 500 or more rounds just plinking before I knew what I had. Hard to find now but I do have a couple hundred rounds left. I have lots of so so ammo I could have used for plinking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts