Ideas Wanted: Compact Scope for .22.

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Sniff, May 3, 2018.

1. Sniff

Sniff

I'm looking for ideas for a compact scope for a .22.

I've got a Leupold 4x28 Rimfire scope on one of my CZ rifles and am thinking about getting another for my new (to me) Browning SA-22.

Any ideas on a similar size 4x scope? I'm not really after a red dot.

2. barryinpa

barryinpa

I put a leupold 2-7 rimfire on one of my sa/22s and am pretty happy with it. I don't think it is much bigger, if at all to the 4x.
    Barry

Sniff likes this.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

What are the specs on your particular 4x Leupold? That would let us know what size range you are trying to stay in.
    Maybe one of the low power variables would be a good choice. A 1-6x or 1-8x could be a nice upgrade.

4. fflincher

fflincher

Leapers Bug Buster 3-9X is pretty compact, looks good on small rifles, has very little eye relief. Might want to look at it to be sure it could be mounted close enough to your shooting eye. I have one on a small Anschutz I got for my seven year old.

capnjim01 likes this.
  5. Out West

Out West

Primary Arms has a very nice fixed 6X rimfire scope. Range finding reticle, good glass and reasonably priced. I own two of them.

JLJ likes this.
  6. IAhunter

IAhunter

I bought an older used Ruger 77/22 at a gun show a few years back. It had a Leupold M8 4X scope on it when I bought it. That scope works very well on that rifle, even though it is a scope meant for a centerfire rifle. That rifle so equipped is an absolute tack driver.

7. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

I have loved the Bushnell Banner Dawn to Dusk 1.5x4.5-32 which has great eye relief and a decent reticle for less than a hundred bucks,

8. Sniff

Sniff

Picked up the rifle today. It has a full sized Leupold 3x9 on it (in Leupold quick release rings too) and a stainless steel MAE suppressor.

The rifle itself looks pretty good. It's one of the older FN made ones with the loading port on top of the wrist of the stock, rather than on the side.

I will try to find another Leupold 4x28 rimfire scope to go on it. The 3x9 is WAY too big and out of proportion for such a small rifle.

I'll keep the MAE suppressor on it at the moment, but might get the barrel cut back a bit so it's not too long with the suppressor attached.

MAE Suppressor website:
    https://mae.co.nz/collections/muzzle-cans/products/lr-22-st-muzzle-cans

This is a photo of it. It's from the auction site, so not very good quality.

[​IMG]

9. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

The Weaver Rimfire 4X is a great little scope as is it's 2.5x7 power brother and they are priced right.

10. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

The problem I see is actually finding a "compact" scope for a .22. They all seem to be full size. Of course back in the day they used to use those skinny rimfire scopes on 22s. They were typically fixed 4x and very cheap. But they were light weight and pretty small. I think Tasco may still make one.

From what I've seen from looking at them in the past the short, compact scopes tend to be cheap and heavy. I know UTG makes the Bugbuster that was mentioned, AIM makes a compact scope as does Barska. The AIM scope is 7.5" long, weighs 18 ozs and is a fixed 4x. The UTG Bugbuster is a 3-9x, 8.1" long and weight 13.9 oz. The smallest 1" tube Barska I've found is a 4x, 7.5" and they say weighs only 8.5ozs. It actually comes with rings and an SKS mount. They do make those skinny 20mm & 15mm rimfire scopes however.

11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Maybe a small shotgun scope, there are some smaller rimfire scopes but like any optic, good glass costs.

12. Sniff

Sniff

Going to pick up another Leupold 4x28 Rimfire. The same as on my CZ Scout. Although it's going to have to wait a bit because I've found a rifle on an auction site that I really want.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1

Never was very concerned with how a firearm looks so proportions don't matter but Your stretching looks when comparing that that little browning break down 22 in the photo . If that little rifle was next to a CZ full size the little browning would look like a toy .

Compact scopes reduced field of view and a 4 power has to many restrictions today specially when a cz .22lr can shoot sub moa at 100 yards but not with a 4power scope !!

BUt its your choice and your stuck on wanting a 4x scope why ask ?

But since you did I put at least something like a Nikon Rimfire 2-7 , 3-9 or 4-12 . There still a small scopes but well work better at short range with a 2-7x32 power or larger with a parallax set at 50 yards for a 22 lr .

14. fgutie35

fgutie35

Check on Ebay for UTG, SNIPER or CVLIFE. They are cheap Chinese descent compact scopes that you can use on a .22LR rifle. They are so cheap that if the famous crosshair buster recoil of the 22 breaks them in time, you can just get another one and still be cheaper than getting any of the mainstream brands.