ideas on keeping dog off couch/loveseat

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by plasticgunz, Aug 20, 2007.

1. plasticgunz

plasticgunz Swollen Member CLM

I have new furniture coming and my current means of keeping the dog off the furniture won't work. Why? because I don't have any more CD cases to use! Currently I put 4 100 CD soft cases across the couch and that keeps the dog from getting up there. I don't have any more cases to put on a loveseat or chair. Other than breaking him of this habit, which he got from his previous owners and never does in front of me so I never catch him in the act, what can I do? I've already figured I'll have to put something like the CD cases on it, but I'd really like to break him of this habit too. I've seen people use the double-sided sticky paper for cats, and it worked for them. Has anyone tried this on a large dog? For some reason I don't think it will work on him. He only gets up there to sleep, doesn't dig or scratch at it, but I don't want him on the furniture or to think its OK to get on furniture when we're at someone else's home. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank You.

2. AZBADBOY

AZBADBOY

I'm at home enough (almost always) that this hasn't ever been a problem for myself. Ok, it was but I was able to catch them in the act way back when just pups. I've heard people using tinfoil or mouse traps placed on the sofa.

3. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

4. bandit99

bandit99

I use the plastic mats with spikes. They are about 20" square and cost about $15 each mat. My dogs will not lay on them but the cats will. The mats do look cheesy if you have guests come over with out warning. Good luck

5. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Rat traps.

This works sometimes. Fix the trap so it cant hurt the dog. The noise sometimes will scare them. I used that to stop the dog from getting the trash years ago.

Bitter Apple spray works to if you have one that likes to gnaw on wood.

6. marley

marley 17-26-32

mouse traps work the sound and movement keeps them away and later they don't even have to be set. patrick