close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ideas for gun laws

Discussion in 'Mississippi Glockers' started by NoloContendere, Apr 28, 2007.

1. NoloContendere

NoloContendere OAF Lawyer

Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing some work on our gun laws for the next session, and I want ya'lls input. This isn't a formal request or anything, but I'd like to hear what ya'll want changed. Here is some of what I'm thinking:

1. Remove places we can't legally carry with a permit:
    a. Schools (primary, secondary, university)
    b. Bars (if not drinking or intoxicated)
    c. We should be able to carry up to and into the courthouse where the weapon will then be checked into the lockbox at the front.
    d. Parks
    e. Post Office's are not prohibited places
    f.
    2. Open carry with or without a permit shall be allowed as per the MS Constitution Article III, Section 12.
    3. Permits should take no longer than 60 days to issue or deny. If it takes longer than 60 days, the clerk of the (court or DPS) shall mail a copy of the application certified mail that will act as a de facto permit for 90 days until the real permit arrives in the mail, or until the application is denied and the applicant notified.
    4. MS will recognize ALL permits from any state, even if that state does not recognize MS permits.
    5. Introduce lifetime permits (!!!!!)
    6. Issue non-resident permits (if FL can do it, so can we, and it would be a good source of revenue as well)
    7. Over 18, and not a prohibited person, and you can keep a gun in your car. Period. (as it is now, if you are a student in a university, you can't carry one in your car).\
    8. Reduce the cost of permit to actual cost (whatever this is)

I have a lot more in mind, but I'm in the midst of a lot of stuff! Post what you all want to see, and I'll incorporate it.

2. MidnightJMC

MidnightJMC

What you've got looks pretty good and covers what I would suggest. The schools, parks and such. I like the courthouse idea too. I wouldn't have a problem checking my weapon in a place where I felt certain ANYBODY attempting to enter with a weapon would be discovered. And don't forget the post office.

3. NoloContendere

The post office isn't listed in the MS stat 45-9-101 as off limits, and 18 USC 930 (c i think...) says that guns are banned except for "lawful purposes..."

probably wouldn't hurt to stick that in though.

nc

4. pyblood

pyblood

I’m thinking 30 days. If you can get a C&R license form the feds in 2 weeks, the great state of MS should be able to give you a carry permit in a month.

You have covered almost every request that I would have. If I think of any, I’ll repost.

Oh what about reducing the cost of the permits?

5. Dauntless452003

Dauntless452003

Good idea regarding reducing the cost of permits. If out of state permits were allowed, the revenue there could defray any loss incurred as a result.

Too bad it is unrealistic to think the legislature could be persuaded to model the law here after Vermont's.

Nolo, let me know how I may be of assistance.

:)

6. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Good luck.

The gun rules on the Natchez Trace are Federal---not state. (Carry unloaded and locked away from any ammo, as I recall.) So I am thinking that there is not much the state can do to relax that.

I think that weapons on most Federal property are regulated by Federal regulations.

I don't know, but I bet the Post Office rule is a Federal regulation, too.

One thing you might consider is making it a felony to publish the identities of permit holders.

Other states have had trouble with liberal newspapers (is there any other kind) publishing lists of CCW permit holders.

(Personally, it does not matter much to me if folks know I carry, but I know many do care.)

7. CentralMsGunFan

CentralMsGunFan Packin Preacher

What is C&R?

8. MidnightJMC

MidnightJMC

It lets you buy and sell weapons as a collector (I believe.)

9. NoloContendere

It stands for curio & relics

I have no knowledge of this branch of the law.

10. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

50 years old = made before 1957

I don't know if that means that they had to stop making the model before that date, or if it refers to individual guns made before that date. The former I think, because I have seen ads saying things like, "CZ model ### is now C&R eligible."

Here is a link at JG Sales showing some guns that are C&R:

LINK

But I see no need for any change in Mississippi laws on this. It's a Federal thang . . .

11. CentralMsGunFan

are there other states that are as gun friendly as some of these suggestions?

12. NoloContendere

Yes. I pulled a few from other states.

VA has the permit in 90 days clause that the application will suffice as a de facto permit

Utah allows CCW in schools.

Vermont allows open carry with/without a permit, as does VA.

FL issues non-res permits, as does utah and Texas.

:thumbsup:

13. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

If the state sells permits at cost, how do they make revenue off it? Same with offering lifetime permits.

I think carry inside the courtroom should be left up to the judge.

Open carry legal @ 18 anywhere CC is allowed.

Perhaps CC permit at 18, if we can give our life to defend the country, why not be able to defend our life also? (granted guns aren't the only form of protection)

Legal to carry in church.

Expressly written law saying something that equates that MS doesn't recognize further (federal level) restrictions and "outlaws" registration of firearms. AL is working on registering all semi and full auto guns, I don't want that for my state.

14. WileyG27

WileyG27 Got beans?

#9. Permanent licence with a one time fee. Indiana is state that just started that within the last year so there's a model to go by.

Should be a 'Frank Melton'provision... all CCW applicants can get their licence as fast as Melton did.

15. CentralMsGunFan

Would that license allow us to carry a sledge hammer also?

16. Dersu

Dersu

New to Mississippi forum on GT and glad to find it.

List of law changes looks good to me, but one of them you may already.

Let me tell you a true story of which I am proud.

About 10 years ago I was picked to be on a Hinds County grand jury. The first day I parked in the courthouse parking
    lot which is a couple of blocks from the courthouse and well
    known for car break-ins. Being that I had a CCP, I carried my Ruger 9mm nearly everywhere that I could. But on the first day, I left it in the truck unloaded and packed away from clip and ammo.
    So off I went to the morning session of the grand jury, and on entering the courthouse saw LEOs checking in their duty weapons to the desk deputy.
    At lunch break, I went to my truck loaded my 9 (one in the pipe too) and walked around town and found a sandwich to eat.
    About 10 minutes before I had to be back in the jury room, I entered the courthouse with my 9 tucked in my slacks and covered with my light spring jacket.
    I approached the desk deputy and told him "Grand Jury member", he waved me through. But I stopped and said, " I need to check my weapon".
    He looked this old man over and said, "You law enforcement?"

I said "no,I am a citizen".
    He asked if I had a permit, I gave it to him and he made a copy of it. I locked my 9 in the lockbox every day of the
    grandjury.
    My fellow jurors just could not get over it!

17. NoloContendere

Yeah... those are for LEO only. But they should be for everyone. If you even walk into the courthouse with a gun, it's not good :D

good job though!

18. BuLC86

BuLC86

nolo looks good nothing to add but GOOD LUCK

19. NoloContendere

Do we know if our records are public or private? I'm thinking they are private... but i don't have confirmation, and right now don't have the time to look.

nc

20. MidnightJMC

MidnightJMC

Not sure about now but I remember back in the early to mid 90's the names of people issued gun permits was printed in the paper. During that time I would have been reading the Natchez Democrat and Clarion Ledger.