Ideas for "fix-it" CD Utilities

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mfackler, Sep 15, 2005.

1. mfackler

mfackler

I am putting together a “Fix-It” CD for friends and family. Currently the CD contains:

a) Ad-Aware
    b) Stinger
    c) Ccleaner
    d) SyncToy
    e) CD Burner XP
    f) Custom UltraVNC SC

I have all this fitting on a business card CD with some room to spare. It looks to me as if those utilities would be a wonderful start on 75% (or more) of the problems I see. Any ideas on other “fix most anything” utilities?

Mike

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. pyblood

pyblood

You have posted some pretty good apps Washington,D.C!

I have a “Utilities” CD that I carry around with me. I also have these same files on my 1GB jumpdrive. I can pretty much fix all common computer problems with my jumpdrive. These are jusy my “utilities.” I think that this will be a great thread for everyone to post some of their favorite free programs.

AVG Free with latest defs
    Avast with latest defs
    Adobe Reader 5, 6, 7
    Firefox
    Ccleaner
    Ad-Aware SE Personal with latest defs
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Spysweeper trial
    Windows Media Player 9
    Windows Media Player 10
    ZoneAlarm
    Norton’s latest defs
    Quicktime
    Malicious Software Removal Tool
    Thunderbird
    EVEREST Home Edition (both the unzipped stand-alone version and the setup file)
    Kazaabegone
    Microsoft AntiSpyware
    RealPlayer
    HijackThis
    Itty Bitty Process Manager
    Trillion
    XP WinSock Fix
    cwshredder
    Winzip
    TweakUi
    Diskeeper Lite

I have some other tuff on there like shortcuts to the device manager and msconfig. I usually update my CD/Jumpdrive every week in order to have the newest definitions and current version of the software.

I think that this will be a great thread for everyone to post some of their favorite fix-it programs.

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

pyblood,

That is very similar to many of the apps I have on my lifesaver DVD.

I would recommend Media Player Classic, Real and QuickTime Alternatives (instead of the 'Real' bloat versions), and the KL Codec pack.

I also have a myriad of the Nirsoft password recovery utilities.

5. saber41

saber41 Guest

6. mfackler

mfackler

Thanks a million everybody. There were some great ideas and I included many of them. I also found it interesting to note the different (unstated) philosophies. I actually incorporate several and thought it may be good to share them.

This CD I wanted to be “cool” the business card size covers that. I also wanted it to be something I could give out when time does not allow my physical presence. UltraVNC SC fit this usage nicely. I found myself often saying “download and run Ad-Aware, if that don’t fix it, give me a call.” This CD and the utilities on it I believe will “fix” 75% of those type situations.

My USB stick while it now surely DOES contain those utilities is more geared for my presence. It has a folder I call “desk top” which contains programs I can use. (Putty, winscp, port firefox, T’bird, foxitreader,a text editor and open office) My USB stick also has the install files for full versions should I wish to make a local install. As well a whatever my current project happens to be.

I have another full size CD that contains the entire above-mentioned utilities plus what I would call other non-system utilities. The mentioned media players are on this CD along with several back-up programs and the like. This CD is what I would term a “shareware collection.” Many of which I use and have the fully registered version on my PC.

Last but not least I have my “fix-it” “jump bag.” In a small camera type case I have a CD wallet again with the above-mentioned CD pulse such things as Bart PE, UBCD, Knoppix (CD and DVD), a ready to install IPCop. Debian, and a few other live CD’s). I also have a 2.5” 40gb USB HD(with some apps loaded) misc cables, adaptors, a flash light, small extension cord, and even a screw driver.

One other thing I haven’t heard mentioned while not actual a “fix-it utility” is a menu maker. I use CD Menu Pro. It’s really cool to have this CD autorun to a nice menu.

Mike

7. srhoades

srhoades

Don't forget the most important of all. A Linux live Cd such as knoppix. Works great for retrieving data off a drive that windows won't read anymore.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

9. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

I made a CD like this and all I can add to the great advise above is to include idiot instructions so that you can hand it out to said idiots... ohh and label all files with numbers in the order people should do things.

You should also put the latest JAVA on there. There are some bad JAVA exploits out there.

10. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

i've had some bad issues fixed quick with Kaspersky's Anti Virus.

tisn't free, and sure you can do without it if you run the gamut..

but it works. REAL GOOD.. for time investment.

sorta like using your favorite crescent wrench. not gonna do a buncha stuff, but handy as the dickens for what it WILL do.

not the least tool in my kit.

11. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

You only need one cd, MiniPE.

12. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an ".iso" file and how to use this tool kit?

Thanks

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

An iso file is a file in a format to be used on a CD and/or DVD.On the CD/DVD burning software,used to make the CD, it will be called "image","iso" or maybe "raw".

The CD has system checking and repair utilities to check condition of hardware and software.