close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ideal counter height?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Wulfenite, May 13, 2006.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I was preping a bunch of stuff for a party last week and realized how hunched over I am at the cutting board. It occured to me that the counter is just too dang low.

What I'm thinking now is that I'll get one of the Boos cutting boards that's 2 and a quarter inches thick and see if that helps, and then maybe attach some legs to it if it feels like it needs to go up some more. But that got me wondering if there's a formula or rule of thumb for determining the correct height based on your height or where your hands hang or some such....anybody ever heard of such a thing?

The other thing I noticed is that it helps to work the material as close to the edge of the counter as you can, but we have tile counter with a rolled lip at the edge which sets you back an inch from the edge to start with. It would be neet to have a counter with a "gravy groove" set in about an inch from the edge to catch spills but that was otherwise flat right out to a square corner.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have no idea, but I like a higher work surface too. I rarely work on the kitchen counter as it is just too dang low. I normally sit at the kitchen table simply because the work surface is higher there for me with the table we have.

I have noticed various heights in family and friend's homes too. Older houses tend to have lower countertops as people were shorter then? Maybe it is just a matter of personal preference, to a certain extent? We recently remodeled our kitchen and the bottom cabinets came in a choice of ONE heighth, but you can adjust that with the type of countertop you use to a point.