Glock Talk banner

Idea on your semi-auto handgun reliability

765 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  ithaca_deerslayer
Whenever the issue of semi-auto reliability being related to user training, my thought is this:

To test your gun's reliability, you might consider handing it to the weakest newbie you can find. If the gun jams, limpwrists, or otherwise malfunctions with that person, maybe it will unexpectedly do the same in your hands?

Why should it malfunction in your hands, if you have the training and skill of a ninja seal wearing a walmart beret? Because if ever you were to be shot in a self-defense incident, maybe your typical target form, technique, and strength would be diminshed down to the level of a newbie :)

What say you?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
32,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. I have a G26 and a PT99 that I have never had a problem with. I have taken both of my daughters to the range and watched them limp wrist them while shooting. I corrected their grip and that was the end of it. I'm not worried about that being a problem for me.
You gave the exact test I'm suggesting :)

Us Walmart Berets never seem able to duplicate the malfunctions on our own. I wonder if that is because we can't simulate being wounded. But hand the gun to your young daughters before their training was completed, and watch the malfuntions :)

The possibility of being wounded to the extent of shooting like a newbie may be in same realm of possibility as needing that 2nd back-up mag :)

· Registered
32,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What steps do you suggest people take
From my point of view, the first steps are in the equipment selection and testing. Some guns are more prone to limpwristing than others. And some guns are slightly out of tune.

If someone teaches and has a lot of newbies trying out guns, for example, they might get a sense of which of their guns are more likely to have reliability issues when fired with less than optimal form :)

· Registered
32,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Newbie?" are we all some seasoned operators or something? I never call anyone "newbie." Everyone has to start somewhere. No need putting a stigma on it. I've taken people shoiting who did just fine after a few tips. Its a freaking pistol! We are nit operating the space shuttle. Sights level, firm grip, smooth squeeze on the trigger, it ain't brain surgery.
I believe "newbie" is shorthand for "A person who is new to shooting sports and is not yet familiar with guns, and has not yet earned the distinguished rank of Walmart Beret, nor that of Ninja Warrior."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.