Idea / Feature Suggestion regarding ads

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by igrp, Mar 11, 2005.

1. igrp

igrp ut supra

[I don't know if this is the appropriate forum. Please feel free to delete this post if it isn't.]

Okay, here it goes: like many (most?) people, I'm not too fond of ads. That's why I'm using Firefox's adblock extension to filter unwanted ads. And, I have to say, it's nothing short of a God send.

For those of you, unfamiliar with adblock or Firefox: it's basically a very cool and flexible tool to block obnoxious image files. And there lies the problem: as much as I dislike banner ads in general (especially when I'm away from home and forced to use plain old, excruciating slow dial-up) - I still want Firefox to load the GT banner ads.

But my regular expression rules block any script or image named "ad" or "ads", and hence also catches the GT banner ads. And adblock does, at least at this point, not support whitelisting (I understand it's a planned feature but it hasn't been implemented yet).

Long story short: would it be possible to rename the adx.js, ads.cgi and adj.php files to something that doesn't trigger the filter (ie. like supportgt.js, supportgt.cgi and supportgt.php respectively)? That way, those of us who run adblocking filters or proxies would get to see the GT banner ads without having to deal with all the other ads.

Anyway, just a suggestion. I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense here. ;)

Cheers. ;c

-igrp