Ice Storm: Anyone have experience with FEMA?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockOpsFool, Jan 31, 2010.

1. GlockOpsFool

GlockOpsFool NRA Member

I live in Oklahoma and we've been hit by a major ice storm. We've (the whole town) lost power since Thursday afternoon. I have taken my family to the in-laws 2 hours away. I have finally located a portable generator and purchased it, along with some extension cords, a couple of space heaters, and a couple of other necessary accessories.

A co-worker of mine told me that, when we had the last ice storm, that FEMA reimbursed him for the cost of the generator, cords, and fuel. We have been declared a federal disaster area as we have had no power in 3 days.

Anyone have any experience with FEMA that might be helpful? I intend to also file a claim with my insurance company, but not sure if they can or will help, and as reasonable as I feel the cost of the generator is, it's a big bite out of the wallet that I really can't afford right now. But, it was necessary to avoid further damage from the cold.

I would appreciate any input. I have no idea how to even start the process.

2. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

To save a little time, before you file with your insurance company, make sure your policy protects against the damage you suffered, or the mitigation attempts you make to prevent damage. Reading the policy may speed things up, or a quick chat with your agent will clear things up even faster.

As far as FEMA paying you for your generator, I have my doubts. Have you checked out their website yet?

3. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Last year we went through the same thing here in Arkansas.The same rumor went around about FEMA reimbursing for generators.They did not reimburse any private individual for anything.They only reimburse local governmnent(county/city agencies) for expenses.Some areas of our county were without power for several weeks.
    Good luck to you....

4. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

What type of heater do you have?

5. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

OLD BUT MAY HELP TO CALL

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=405

Release Date: February 19, 2002
    Release Number: 1401-10

Oklahoma City, OK -- In response to the needs of the Oklahoma winter ice storm victims who experienced power outages, disaster assistance for people in the designated counties will include assistance for those who purchased generators, non-electric heaters and chainsaws, state and federal officials announced today.
    The eligible items for assistance include chainsaws (up to $220), generators (up to $500), non-electric heaters (up to $150) and firewood (up to $100 per cord with a maximum of two cords) purchased during the incident or emergency period of Jan. 30 through Feb. 11.
    Additionally, generator reimbursement assistance is available for those who experienced power outages beyond the incident period and purchased their generator after Feb. 11. In order to receive generator assistance (up to $500), victims will need a letter from their electric company stating that they had an extended power outage beyond Feb. 11.
    The application process is easy, efficient and begins with a single phone call to FEMA's toll-free number 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). This number is answered from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week until further notice, including Presidents' Day, Monday, February 18. Those who are speech impaired can apply by calling a special toll-free number (TTY) 1-800-462-7585.
    "Meeting the immediate recovery needs of disaster victims is a top priority of our joint FEMA and state recovery team," James Roche, Federal Emergency Management Agency coordinating officer, said.
    So far, almost $1 million in disaster housing assistance grants has already been issued to nearly 2,500 victims of the ice storm. Under the Presidentially-declared disaster, various forms of disaster assistance are available to those who suffered damages from the winter ice storm in the 45 designated counties, including grants for alternate rental housing and emergency repairs needed to make a residence habitable, and low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration for renters, homeowners and business owners for repair, replacement or rebuilding of disaster-damaged homes and businesses.
    "Don't assume you aren't eligible for assistance," urged Fred Liebe, Oklahoma Department of Civil Emergency Management coordinating officer. "We don't want to miss anyone who has been affected by these weather events who may need help in the recovery process."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. Jonesee

Jonesee

After Hurricane Ivan, FEMA reinbursed for chainsaws. I don't believe they did for generators.

7. GlockOpsFool

GlockOpsFool NRA Member

We have central heat/air, but I bought a couple of small ceramic heaters with the generator.

8. GlockOpsFool

GlockOpsFool NRA Member

Thank you. This wasn't on their web site when I checked it earlier. I will give them a call tomorrow.

9. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

If it's gas or oil it will take alot less power to run.
    You can run a cord to that and turn off the breaker to the heater at the panel.
    See how the small heaters do,But most of those eat electric.
    Stay safe.

10. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

Where at in Oklahoma are you? I've got a buddy that lives in Purcell.

11. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I lived through the Ice Storm 09 that about wiped KY off the map. We were also declared a Federal Disaster Area.

FEMA will reimburse NOTHING to the individual, NOTHING $0.00.
    They say they will reimburse local governments a certain amount.... however I saw a local news story that some are even having trouble with that...

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/ky-state-news/82649002.html

Also, get ready for the electric company to raise your rates, so you can help pay for the clean up.

We were without power 11 days... many people in this area were without power for like 25.

KY Farm Bureau Insurance did issue up to like $200 for lost food w/o a deductible. (Which was very nice of them)... cause a lot of people, myself included lost everything in their refrigerator/freezers. Insurance will not pay for anything else you buy, or broken down tree removal, that comes out of your pocket.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  12. GlockOpsFool

GlockOpsFool NRA Member

I live in SW Oklahoma. I know someone that lives in Purcell too, they got a lot of damage there as well. Our power just came back on after nearly 4 days. I guess I'm going back to work tomorrow...what a waste of a weekend. Cleanup begins.

Thanks for the replies. FEMA will pay $500 for a generator, so I'm still getting a good deal. I can't complain. I will contact my insurance agent tomorrow and see what, if anything, they can do. I'm sure we've lost food too, but haven't opened our freezer since the power went out. Anything will help.

13. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I went without power for two weeks after Charley in 2004. FEMA reimbursed for generator and chainsaw. I know several people beside myself that got that reimbursement.

The key is the area has to be declared a disaster zone by the federal Govt.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Why should your fellow taxpayers be responsible for picking up the tab of YOUR generator?

Have we been so conditioned as to look to the .gov to provide for us everytime we need something?

What are we, European?

15. Dragoon44

Maybe because people that actually work for a living deserve a break when their homes are torn apart by disaster, their having to spend what money they have to get gas, food, and water from considerable distances away.

16. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

Hey, if it's going to AMERICANS and not HAITIANS, I'm OK with it.

17. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Sometimes FEMA will pay for the generators, I have yet to see any rhyme or reason as to how they decide.

Insurance offers some coverage. There is usually food loss coverage for $250 or $500. Tree removal is limited to trees that damaged covered property, like a tree falling on your house, barn or fence. Some policies have debris removal included.

18. certifiedfunds

"deserve"

Interesting choice of words.

I've had my home torn apart by disaster. I've evacuated more times than I can count. It sucks hugely. People can't always do it all alone. Some are better prepared than others. Some have greater resources than others. But its also been clearly illustrated that many in this thread feel entitled to their fellow citizens money, if they feel they need it badly enough. I'm not saying they would go out and rob their fellow citizens, but they have no qualms having the government do it on their behalf.

19. certifiedfunds

After Hurricane Gustav.....WEEKS after Hurricane Gustav......I was in the grocery store and noticed a lady behind me with a couple of live lobsters in her buggy. Honestly, I'd never once seen anyone buy those things out of the tank, so I commented on how SHE was gonna have a nice dinner tonite.

She said:

"Honey, they just put some more money on my FEMA card so I figured 'what the heck'?' Did you check yours? There's more money on it, go check it!"

20. Dragoon44

Yeah well, the taxpayers didn't spend weeks cutting up downed trees on my property, replace my roof or other property damage. or have an 82 year old mother to take in and take care of after her place was destroyed. And who probably would not have survived the august heat of SW Fl without at least a fan to help cool things.

Let me guess libertarian right?