Glock Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Crusty Member
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else using these in Glocks? I noticed recently that they offer a 200gr .452 TC and decided to try some. I did just enough to chronograph 2 loads (4.2gr Clays, 4.6gr Promo, both loaded to 1.205" with CCI LP). They worked, and I got the expected velocities from them:

4.2gr Clays: G21: 816fps, G30S: 784fps
4.6gr Promo: G21: 821fps, G30S: 794fps

Accuracy, though, was not good. I don't know whether to blame the bullets or the weather. It was about 100F. I was avoiding shade, because last time I chronographed in the shade, I had a lot of trouble with bogus low readings (200-300fps). The sun was so intense, that putting my 21SF on the table long enough to record data and paste the target, after a couple of times, the frame was so hot it hurt to pick it up. Loaded ammo on the table (in ziplocks) also got too hot hold. I'd just cleaned both guns last night, and did fire a few rounds of other ammo first, just so I wasn't working with a totally clean barrel...and those first shots went where I expected.

I liked the feel of the Promo load better, so I guess I'll load 50-100 more of those and do some more testing under more bearable weather conditions.

· Crusty Member
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm happy to report, the accuracy problems last weekend were apparently all me or weather.

I went back out today with some more of the 4.6gr Promo load, and put some through my 21, 41, 30S, and full size 1911. Other than ones where I knew I'd jerked the trigger, all were in the black. Only "issue" is that the 1911 (a mostly stock Springfield Loaded), cuts through the coating while chambering them.

· Registered
220 Posts
I use Ibejiheads quite a bit in various calibers, they have always been of excellant quality. Their coating seems to be thicker and more uniform than most, and I have tried just about all coated bullet options. Never a problem with accuracy out of any of my guns.

· Registered
40,421 Posts
:confused:I shoot the same design bullet, but cast them myself. It is the Magma mold, good bullet. I have started Hi-tek coating them myself. At $110/1000, I couldn't afford to shoot! I am sure they are a good bullet, but the same price gets you plated from Extreme??

· Crusty Member
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see myself getting into casting. By the time I have the time for it (retirement?), free/cheap lead (like from wheel weights) is likely to be a more distant memory than walking into Walmart after work and buying a couple of bulk packs of .22lr is today.

I suppose Xtreme does offer a 200gr TC/FP, but their bullets have been hit or miss for me and its kind of odd that even in .45, some of their bullets are offered in only in .452 and some only in .451. The price is about the same as Ibeji, but Ibeji's prices include shipping, while Xtreme's normally don't. OTOH, Xtreme pretty much always has a 5% off deal on some subset of their bullets. I suppose I'll try them at some point. I do like their 200gr HP (which is one of the ones only offered in .452).

· Registered
40,421 Posts
Not knocking the lbe bullets, but hard for me to spend that much for something I can make myself for a few pennies each. They look like Ki-tek coated but hard to tell from the limited pics. They offer a blue, Hi-tek does not, so curious what the coating is. I may order a sample just to see.

· Crusty Member
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AFAIK, it's not Hi-Tek. it does seem a little thicker, though not noticeably any more durable. I mostly tried them out of curiosity. I've got way too many .45acp bullets and really should stop buying for a while. I do my reloading in an upstairs guest room, and have a large quantity of bullets in flat rate boxes under the perimeter of a queen size bed. I'm actually starting to wonder/worry about the amount of weight up there, especially when there are guests adding another couple hundred pounds on the bed.

· Registered
40,421 Posts
AFAIK, it's not Hi-Tek. it does seem a little thicker, though not noticeably any more durable. I mostly tried them out of curiosity. I've got way too many .45acp bullets and really should stop buying for a while. I do my reloading in an upstairs guest room, and have a large quantity of bullets in flat rate boxes under the perimeter of a queen size bed. I'm actually starting to wonder/worry about the amount of weight up there, especially when there are guests adding another couple hundred pounds on the bed.
Yeah, upstairs weight could be a serious long term deflection issue. Most home floors aren't built to hold much more than 100#/sf.:eek: You might want get that wt closer to the bearing walls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.