IA: Gun Rights Groups Rejoice, Local Sheriffs Cringe

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

They're sworn to uphold the law, but some Iowa sheriff's aren't happy with new rules that take away their power to decide who can pack heat and who can't.

Until now, sheriff's have been able to deny people concealed/carry gun permits if they saw fit. Under the new law, they "must issue" permits to anyone without a felony conviction. Local sheriffs say that leaves the door wide open for guns to get in the wrong hands.

For gun rights group IowaCarry, the new legislation a considered victory.

"It takes the burden of proof away from the citizens and puts it on the sheriff so that the citizen doesn't have to prove why they need the permit or why they want the permit. It puts that burden of proof on the sheriff to prove why he doesn't feel they should have a permit," explained Luke Nixa, Northwest Regional Director of IowaCarry.

For one local sheriff, it takes his better judgment out of the permit issuing process. What if the person applying is currently part of a criminal investigation?

"It takes that discretion away because we know we have information but there's no criminal charge or conviction filed yet," said Buena Vista County Sheriff Gary Launderville. "That puts a lot of people in jeopardy."

The new law makes sheriff's more accountable, saying they must give a reason why the permit was denied and allows people to appeal the decision.

Launderville says his department rarely denies permits, but if they do, it's for good reason.

"There's people that have come in that don't qualify because of their criminal history. It's documented. There's people that come in that ask for a permit to carry because they want to have a gun in their house. They don't need a gun permit to own a gun or to have it in their home or place of business," said the Sheriff.

For advocates of the law, it evens the playing field.

"It's unfair treatment from one county to another and that's a violation of rights," said Nixa.

For this sheriff, so many people carrying concealed weapons opens up the possibility for vigilantism.

"Law enforcement is here for a reason, that's what we're for, that's why we're specially trained in firearms," said Launderville. "The general public doesn't have to go through the training law enforcement does."

Governor Chet Culver still has to sign the bill into law. If he does, it should go into effect on January 1 of next year.

http://www.kcautv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12245693

2. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

3. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

If they don't like it then they can resign and get out of LE.

Same old line of BS.......the sky is falling, blood in the streets, fender-benders turning into shoot-outs, vigilantism, etc, etc, etc......... :upeyes:

Laws such as "may issue" giving police descretionary power is too subjective and opens the door for abuse and gives a legal standing to pursue a personal agenda.
    If we are indeed a free people and everyone is equal under the eyes of the law, why would some sheriffs oppose "shall issue" which makes everyone equal?

4. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

He's know for not handing alot of permits out. Some sheriffs here give 'em out like candy, and some very few. Poor sheriff.:crying:

5. mymini40

mymini40

How about not voting for that sheriff when his term ends.

6. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

I fixed it for the author of the article. :whistling:

7. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

"Pack Heat", yeah....such an unbiased view.

"The rules" are made by the "smart folks" and we need to abide by them, because they're made by "smart folks". Darn the dumb folks. The same folks who put the "smart folks" into office.

When the "smart folks" pass a law I like, they're very "smart", when those same folks pass a law I don't like, oh man are they dumb.

Same old story.

8. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Can you blame them? If I could, I'd pass a law that says only I and those I choose can own guns. The rest of ya, sorry...

:supergrin:

It's all about control, dominance, and power!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  9. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

What's that? American citizens are able to be armed unless convicted of a crime? Madness!

10. diggy485

diggy485

Our sheriff only will issue if you can justify going armed, and self defense is not one of them. I have one, but it is only valid WHILE hunting, trapping, and target practice.. it was an absolute was of money and time..

11. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Another man who is the only one professional enough.........

Has he ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty"?

He has "information"???? As in, "confidential informant"???? --- yeah, they're ALWAYS honest, law-abiding citizens......let's just deny someone their rights because of that!

12. C.Lee

C.Lee

If a sheriff has information about a criminals activity, but does not enforce the law, he or she is complicit in that crime and a de-facto accessory to the crime. Sitting on information in anticipation of catching a bigger crime should not be an excuse.

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

That's what happens when CCW is a county thing. It should be a state issued permit.

14. Bruce H

Bruce H

How much money is the dear sheriff Gary Launderville going to lose because of shall issue? Can't demand coin for a permit.

15. vart

vart

Having had a carry permit in Iowa I can attest that it is/was a system full of power-tripping morons abusing their power.

I was issued a permit when I first moved there, then became friends with the ex-sheriff that was recently voted out.

He was a nice guy and a stand-up citizen that retired from LVPD.

Once the current sheriff found out I was friends with him, my permit was denied for renewal.

Once you fall out of favor in the "good ol' boy" network in Iowa, you are screwed...

16. diggy485

diggy485

Yes you are..(*sigh*)Yes you are...

17. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

The great thing about Sheriff's, they're politicans and can be kicked out on their asses!

18. PBCounty

PBCounty

Suddenly liberals care about LEO's.......

19. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I once worked with some very good men from the likes of Chicago, Tennessee, and Texas, and they all told me that this Redneck Mafia is worse here than anywhere they've ever been. They were right.

Know the right guys, and you're in. Don't know the right guys, and you're out. It's that damned simple.

This law in this state is a very, very big deal. It's also great news.

Take it from a dues paying member of the good ol' boys network, many of us are free at last. I can soon speak freely without fear of loosing my permit.

20. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

Could always be worse, guys. You could live due east, like I do.

Illinois' official position on CCW is don't ask, don't even think about it, unless you're a Chicago alderman.

Maybe when somebody finally gets something on "da mare", things will change.