GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AKA Fluffy316
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you that know me are aware of the struggles that I have had with my ex-wife in regards to custody of my son. Unfortunately, it is not a rare situation these days.

Due to many factors, I ended up taking my ex to court when my son was in the 5th grade and I got custody of him. I had to then defend custody all the way through his senior year in high school.

Speaking with other single fathers, I was both comforted and horrified to know that I was not the only one in this situation. My son was subjected to some unbelievable pressures at times and that has left a lasting effect on his life. The good news is that he is now in college and thriving, so I am very grateful for that.

Some of you may remember when my son got terribly sick and our first diagnosis was cancer, but after three whole weeks at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, they determined that he had a very severe MRSA infection in his bone and he nearly lost his leg. During that time, many of the GlockTalk community reached out in a show of support and several of you sent my son items to show him that you were thinking about him. The support that you showed during that time gave him a lot of confidence and I cannot thank you enough.

Since that time, my son became more forthcoming with details of past abuses and horrors that he had endured, securing the fact that he would be raised in my home.

I wrote my book, A Father's Playbook, to not only share what experiences we suffered through, but also to share the strategies that I used in order to secure and maintain custody. My hope is to help other single fathers in this struggle by showing them the path that I took to get to my destination.

In the process of writing this book, I had to tell the whole story, which meant not only talking about my strengths, but also my weaknesses. This process has been both healing and a bit scary.

Has anyone else here written a book about themselves or an experience that they struggled through?

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Sorry you & the Son had to go through that. Like you mentioned, all to common nowadays. No I haven't been there, but have dabbled a bit close.

Glad to hear your Son is doing well. The 'divorce industry' can certainly get ones dander up.

·
M62/76
11,966 Posts
Good for you for doing this after what had to be an arduous struggle. While I haven’t had that particular experience, I have had research published and I know how daunting the writing process can be (and I can only imagine when it is about something you speak of).

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
I am happy you prevailed.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,207 Posts
Avoiding this issue was the main reason I sucked it up and stayed in the marriage for the last 4 years. Youngest graduated from High School this May. I am GONE!!!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I feel for the dad that really cares for their children. It's not easy and as my children get older I find I am giving more of myself than they realize. We continually give with the hope that they will realize it someday.

I'm glad for you OP. Haldor hang on there my friend, it will get better.

Reactions: kaisooba

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,580 Posts
Be careful, If you have said anything that puts women in a bad light, you will be branded a misogynist. You will run a high risk of being doxxed and targeted for harassment by feminists. They may even try to get you branded as a rape apologist and fired.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Is the book published and available somewhere?

Men's rights, as a topic, are totally neglected in society. There are women's studies departments in most colleges, but a lack of concern for men.

·
Banned
10,620 Posts
Life is an amazing journey. Glad you did what was right for your son. Thanks for writing A Fathers Playbook. Hopefully it will help someone going through the same situation. Also, glad to see you back here at GT.

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
I’m glad your situation worked out for the best. In today’s world where a rapist gets custody instead of being in prison just blows my mind. I almost though it was fake news but it’s sadly true.

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
I applaud you, gemeinschaft. As one who walked the same trail, I know what you went through. It isn't easy, it damn sure isn't fun, but it is without a doubt the most important thing we have ever done.

·
Super Moderator
19,637 Posts
Many local libraries have a method for suggesting books to be added to their collections.
Other libraries will accept actual book donations, if they are current and address a need.
I'd say this may be an excellent book that every community should have on-hand.

For any of you that might be so inclined to suggest it (as I am), here is the needed info:

A Father's Playbook: How I Won Child Custody
Author: David Morefield
Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: Independently published (August 22, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1521785023
ISBN-13: 978-1521785027

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Fathers-Playbook-How-Child-Custody/dp/1521785023

(I have no connection to the book or author, I just think it meets a pressing need)

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,207 Posts
I am on the other side of the suck now.

As I listen to my daughter laughing in the other room, I am so glad I hung in there. I spent many years biting my tongue, putting up with crap, but it was all worth it. I am happier now than I have been in 10 years. I have the love of a good, honest woman. The warm regard and trust of my daughter. Meaningful work doing what I enjoy.

Life is very sweet and very full. Sometimes I wonder why now? What did I do to deserve to be this happy. Look at this face, I have never been happier in my life.

View attachment 355717

·
AKA Fluffy316
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Some of you may remember when my son got terribly sick and our first diagnosis was cancer, but after three whole weeks at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, they determined that he had a very severe MRSA infection in his bone and he nearly lost his leg. During that time, many of the GlockTalk community reached out in a show of support and several of you sent my son items to show him that you were thinking about him. The support that you showed during that time gave him a lot of confidence and I cannot thank you enough.

Since that time, my son became more forthcoming with details of past abuses and horrors that he had endured, securing the fact that he would be raised in my home.
I do remember that and also have a vague recollection that you learned something after the fact that may have prevented the whole thing, perhaps what you alluded to in the second paragraph. I’ve ocasionally wondered how things turned out. I’m glad that it apparently turned out well for you and your son.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
I am on the other side of the suck now.

As I listen to my daughter laughing in the other room, I am so glad I hung in there. I spent many years biting my tongue, putting up with crap, but it was all worth it. I am happier now than I have been in 10 years. I have the love of a good, honest woman. The warm regard and trust of my daughter. Meaningful work doing what I enjoy.

Life is very sweet and very full. Sometimes I wonder why now? What did I do to deserve to be this happy. Look at this face, I have never been happier in my life.

View attachment 355717
Haldor, I know that there have been very difficult times in your past that were beyond your control, so I am very glad to read that things are getting on the better side for you now :)

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Many local libraries have a method for suggesting books to be added to their collections.
Other libraries will accept actual book donations, if they are current and address a need.
I'd say this may be an excellent book that every community should have on-hand.

For any of you that might be so inclined to suggest it (as I am), here is the needed info:

A Father's Playbook: How I Won Child Custody
Author: David Morefield
Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: Independently published (August 22, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1521785023
ISBN-13: 978-1521785027

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Fathers-Playbook-How-Child-Custody/dp/1521785023

(I have no connection to the book or author, I just think it meets a pressing need)
Great post, and great idea!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts