Glock Talk banner

I would like your recommendations for a traditional scope on Ruger Gunsite Scout.

1932 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jame
I originally purchased my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle to mount a scout style scope on it. After I've received and shot it, I've changed my mind. I want to add a traditional style scope.

Specifically, this is the one I purchased: http://grabagun.com/ruger-6830-m77gs-308-gunst-sct-mtblk.html

It only weighs 6 1/4 pounds, and the muzzle brake makes recoil very manageable, but I don't want to lose the portability of it by adding a scope that's hard to carry or use while walking about. I'd like to keep it in the 1-4x or 3-7x type scopes, and I'd like to keep it under $300. I know you get what you pay for. But my budget dictates what I pay for, and my budget says under $300.

What do you think?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· NRA Life Member
6,091 Posts
I originally purchased my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle to mount a scout style scope on it. After I've received and shot it, I've changed my mind. I want to add a traditional style scope.

Specifically, this is the one I purchased: http://grabagun.com/ruger-6830-m77gs-308-gunst-sct-mtblk.html

It only weighs 6 1/4 pounds, and the muzzle brake makes recoil very manageable, but I don't want to lose the portability of it by adding a scope that's hard to carry or use while walking about. I'd like to keep it in the 1-4x or 3-7x type scopes, and I'd like to keep it under $300. I know you get what you pay for. But my budget dictates what I pay for, and my budget says under $300.

What do you think?
The Leupold FX II in a straight 2.5 or the VX II in 1-4x-- either would be perfect and I believe would fit the concept you are trying to accomplish.

Reactions: hogship

· Registered
2,659 Posts
They make two VX-1's that fit the budget. The 3X9X40 & 4X12X40. Decent scopes for the money, I have them on several of my rifles including a couple .300 mags and a .375 H&H and they're all holding up well with no problems so far. These kind of scopes sort of defeat the purpose of a scout rifle though. I'm sure you have your reasons.

I also have a VX-2 1.5X5 on my .459 Win that is much more compact and perhaps more fitting for your rifle. It is more money though. It too, has been trouble free.

· Stop the steal!
21,057 Posts
The Leupold FX II in a straight 2.5 or the VX II in 1-4x-- either would be perfect and I believe would fit the concept you are trying to accomplish.
I don't blame the op for ditching that IER scope. I had one of those at one time. IMHO, it's not as good as a traditional mount just above the receiver.

KS, I was thinking the same. For this rifle, a straight 4x would also be very good. I have a Remington Model 7 in .308 that has a Leupold VXIII 1.5x to 5x.....great for precision shooting up to a couple or three hundred yards......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.