Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love my 1911's and think they are one of the most perfect platforms that has ever existed. I often carry my Colt Officer's Model and love it, but I have decided that I will no longer carry a 1911 as my EDC.

The reason? It might seem a bit rash and lazy, but I feel I just do not practice enough with them and I do not see myself changing that any time soon. I used to be so much better with them but my reflexes have rusted a bit since I have started shooting more DA autos.

I came to this conclusion the other night when doing some quick draw and fire exercises with my Officer's model and found myself failing to properly disengage the manual safety. I was failing to do so about 20% of the time. I just do not think that is acceptable. It is in no way the gun's fault. It is all my fault. I just have not been practicing.

I am going to stick to guns that are just pull and shoot platforms. No manual safeties for me in the near future.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ok...

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I love 1911's (and own them) but I have no desire to carry one either, as a CCW gun. I dont knock the guys that CCW them but for me I just feel more comfortable with a "simple point and shoot" gun myself hence my love of Glocks.

I have to admit, I am also not comfortable with the lower mag capacity and the 1911's finicky feeding with certain hollow points. Like I said I am not a 1911 hater...I just dont prefer to carry them.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I think as gun lovers and collectors we reach a point were we can't use them all. Some become range toys and one or two that are suited for the job are carried.

·
Geaux Tigers!
2,253 Posts
I think as gun lovers and collectors we reach a point were we can't use them all. Some become range toys and one or two that are suited for the job are carried.
That's exactly how I feel. I only like to carry the gun(s) that I am very comfortable with, ones that I practice a lot with. The others are destined to be range toys or collectibles, and there is nothing wrong with that at all!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I started seriously shooting a 1911 in about 1984. Began shooting IPSC. It was my duty gun. For a couple of years, I was reloading and shooting over a thousand rounds a month, sometimes 500 a weekend.

10 years ago, we were issued Glocks. To this day, every once in a while, my thumb still tries to sweep of the imaginary thumb safety on my Glock.

·
Huge Member
11,321 Posts
I carried a 1911 both on and off duty for many years by choice. I hate to say it but I think there are better .45 acp platforms out there than the 1911.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Sound logic.

It is the reason I carry 1911s exclusively, only one manual or arms to operate. I could just as easily do the same with S&W 3rd Gen autos, S&W K frames, etc and feel as secure. I just happen to shoot the 1911 better than any other platform so I go with that.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree completely with the OP's line of thinking. I find myself not carrying any of my 1911's due to a variety of reasons to include at the top of the list, the external safety. I consider myself to be proficient at thumbing the safety, but when the stress of a life and death situation is added..... I'm not so sure. I find myself alternating between a Glock 19 and Glock 23 depending on which I prefer at the moment. The best part is that they use the same holster and mag carrier. Bonus!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I love my 1911's and think they are one of the most perfect platforms that has ever existed. I often carry my Colt Officer's Model and love it, but I have decided that I will no longer carry a 1911 as my EDC.

The reason? It might seem a bit rash and lazy, but I feel I just do not practice enough with them and I do not see myself changing that any time soon. I used to be so much better with them but my reflexes have rusted a bit since I have started shooting more DA autos.

I came to this conclusion the other night when doing some quick draw and fire exercises with my Officer's model and found myself failing to properly disengage the manual safety. I was failing to do so about 20% of the time. I just do not think that is acceptable. It is in no way the gun's fault. It is all my fault. I just have not been practicing.

I am going to stick to guns that are just pull and shoot platforms. No manual safeties for me in the near future.
I'd say that's very respectable. Coincidentally, I've gone the opposite direction. Originally trained on the 1911 by the Coast Guard (very bad habits were instilled - we were not allowed to carry condition 1), I didn't trust myself to consistently push the safety off during a high-stress situation. Therefore, I only carried Glocks and SA/DA revolvers.

However, my favorite shooters are all 1911's now, and I've gained trust in my consistency on drawing/firing, so that's what I'm carrying.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Sound logic.

It is the reason I carry 1911s exclusively, only one manual or arms to operate...
Me too. Sounds like the problem isn't a 1911 thing, but rather too many training distractions with other platforms.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Me too. Sounds like the problem isn't a 1911 thing, but rather too many training distractions with other platforms.
That is very much the problem. When you are trying to familiarize yourself with a new gun every month it gets hard to spend time with your old favorites.

Since I do not carry a 1911 in the summer (just have never been able to make it work with light clothing) I decided it is best to carry a gun with the same platform in the winter as I would carry in the summer.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've only witnessed a gun being drawn on somebody one time (lived in a bad neighborhood for a year). It was a gun with a safety and the thug forgot to disengage, thank god. Gave my neighbors a chance to scatter before he realized his mistake and somehow accidentally discharged a round straight up in the air while fooling with it.

Maybe that's a bad example, because it's obviously a great thing in this situation that the operator had trouble firing the weapon, but it would be just as easy for one of the good guys to screw this up.

Anyways, that was my cue to buy a gun to protect my house and potentially my neighbors should these gang members show up again. I went with one without a safety.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts