I whacked someone today with a hammer.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

That someone was me. :faint: I think I broke the bone in the left index finger, that bone closest to the palm.

EVERYTHING slowed down. It was like I was in the Matrix. I could see the hammer hurtling towards the chisel, perfectly centered, and aligned for proper engagement...

then at somewhere near T-3 milliseconds, my weight shifted on the ladder, moving the hand holding the chisel by just the right degree to allow for crushing impact with my hand, and impactful it was.

I hit my hand so hard, my hand splintered the granite/concrete I was working on, and I have a tiny sliver of calcified rock stuck in my palm, and a few more pieces in my pinkie.

I hit my hand so hard, that for a full minute after it happened, all I could do was look at my hand in bewilderment, confused by the pain and betrayal.

Fortunately, I have often practiced deep breathing and meditating. I was able to keep the swearing down to about 134dB, and for no more than 90 seconds...

'Drew

2. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

You seem to do alot of whacking Drew ...

:whistling:

3. raven11

raven11

first lightning hit your car, now the hammer,

i think its a sign

4. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Hahahahahaha!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm laughing at the story telling, not the pain.

It's amazing how bad some things hurt. The worst for me is biting my lip. I don't know why but at least every 90 days I bit my lip really hard with the canine shaped teeth. It hurts so bad that I actually cry everytime it happens. But the worst part about it, is that it swells up after that and I continue to bite it because it's swollen and gets in the way. I almost want to ask my dentist to file my canines down.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. smokin762

smokin762

Talk about the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.:wow:

You might want to get that looked at. I have hit my left hand with a hammer before too.

6. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I once used an 8 ft ladder to open an attic access for blow in insulation. I left the hammer on top of the ladder and went to town to get the insulation and blower unit. I came back and decided to move the ladder. The hammer had 2 feet to speed up before it hit me squarely on the noggin and I fell backwards into the door. Luckily it was closed or I would have been out on the lawn. It took me a few seconds to regain my sense and I went home to put some ice on it.

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I hear they come in threes

:couch:

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I see exactly what you did there Bruno... :supergrin:

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Were you eating Jamaican food again ? :dunno:

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

10. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Glad you didn't fall off the ladder. You could have hurt yourself.

[​IMG]

11. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

Sounds painful been to the Dr. Yet? If not come morning I bet you will be wishing for the pain meds

12. cornnutt

cornnutt

damn been there done that waffle head? 22 oz? look on the brite side u didnt fall of the ladder two

13. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Hey, Drew. That hurts just to think about it, and it's YOUR finger that got hit. If you think it might be broken, DO go to a Doc. Otherwise the finger might be less than completely useful to you. For the pain, ol' doc hugh prescribes three good stiff shots of whiskey, and jump into bed with a good nurse!

Heal fast. Hugh

14. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Thats the worst thing to watch happen in the world. I know exactly what you mean when you say, time slowed down. I was swinging a little one hand sledge trying to disassemble some iron shelving. I had to hold a rod to knock the pins out of the shelving arms. I missed once, and watched as the sledge hit exactly where yours hit and run down the length of my finger. It was like a squeegee, pushing all the blood in my finger to the end. My nail was black almost immediately. The only thing that hurt more was drilling the hole in my nail to release the pressure. :faint:

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Funny thing is, I did my annual checkup...about 4hrs before I tried tenderizing my finger...

Which leads me to another rant :rant: :soap: ......

Called my doctor last week (10yrs same guy) to make my annual checkup appt. Receptionist tells me the 1st open spot is " Friday, May14".

I say: Ma'am, with all due respect, that's 6 weeks away.

She said: I know sugar.

I tell her never mind, hang up, call my insurance scamsters, and tell them I need a doctor that can schedule an appt in 2 weeks or so. They switch my doctor (as it turns out, it's also my wife's doctor), I call the guy's office up yesterday, got me an appointment for this morning - everything checked out ok, but they are checking (at my request) for lead levels and lyme disease.

ANYWAYS, WHY THE HELL didn't ya'll remind me they do that EKG thing??? The prostate check was bad enough (why did the good ol doc have BOTH hands on my shoulders??? :faint:) , but then the needed to put the electrode thingie on my ankle - and I'd totally forgotten about the BUG. :supergrin:

'Drew

16. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

The BUG should have come out when both hands were on your shoulders...:shocked:

:rofl::rofl:

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Bastard was leaning heavily over my legs. Had me pinned. :crying: :supergrin:

18. drew4691

drew4691

When i was in iraq, i had to go to the connex to retrieve a communications cable, which was in plastic bins, clear in the back. Of course it was the middle of the afternoon, hot as hell outside, and i was the only one going out there to find this thing. There was so much crap in there, i had to move just to get to this particular bin. One of which was a rack that goes on the end of the tailgate to the hunmvee to carry extra water, fuel, or whatnot...

Anyway, this thing was stood up on end, so i shoved it hard, and it was sitting on something. Well when i shoved it, the corner came straight down, RIGHT ON MY BIG TOE! Same thing, the world just stopped, and i just laid down on the bins for about 30 minutes, to recouperate. I went to sick call and the doc gave me some motrin and offered to cut my toenail off. I said "no thanks" and gimped back to my room. That doc was notorious for not taking people's injury's seriously.

Two weeks before we left to redeploy back from a year long deployment, he was walking to the chow hall at night through the parking lot, and he got ran over by a stryker vehicle, the driver didnt see him. (it ran over his leg, but it could have been a lot worse) karma is a ******.

(here is a stryker for you that dont know)
    [​IMG]

19. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

But it feels oh so good when the blood and puss shoots out like a Wyoming gyser.

FWIW, heating a paperclip red hot and burning a hole through the nail puts less pressure on the tender area beneath.

Amazing how much pain can be centered in such a small area.

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Equally amazing and befuddling how that same small area becomes a magnet for every burr, nick, edge, door jamb and corner you never knew existed! :faint: :supergrin: