close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I was wondering

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RustyL, Dec 22, 2012.

1. RustyL

RustyL

being that Obamacare passed if the feds can use it as a backdoor to see if one has mental health issues? Would they, can they, use this data to stop the purchase of a firearm? A lot of questions going through my mind right now. However, if so, will the nation allow it?

2. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Standby.....more to come:shocked:

3. WarCry

WarCry

You know little or nothing about the ACA law that was passed, obviously.

The law is a set of rules regarding insurance for health coverage - who has to have it, who has to offer it, and what the insurance companies have to pay for.

There is absolutely nothing in the law that talking about reporting of ANYTHING, and it does not, in any way, shape, or form supersede the privacy aspects of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, more commonly called HIPAA.

And, going on the assumption (pretty fair, I think, based on your original post) that you don't know what HIPAA is, one of the primary tenets of that law is the regulation of who can access your medical records.

In case you're wondering, insurance companies can see general information on medical claims - simple diagnosis, simple procedure/treatment. Unless there's a dispute, they do NOT get medical records from the doctor, and in the case of mental health, it's ILLEGAL to request the notes from the provider. If the provider sends their notes for some ungodly reason, it's recorded that they were received and then the notes are promptly destroyed.

So, to sum up, "Obamacare" has absolutely nothing to do with medical records or any kind of tracking mental health or any other issues.

All that clear?

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Mental health issues would seem to be a valid concern when it comes to some people committing acts of violence against themselves and others, and there's probably going to be more discussion about how it can be included in trying to identify potential threats before tragedy occurs.

Just came across these 2 articles, though ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mental-health-america-california-releases-003400851.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-offered-national-mental-health-131612527.html

5. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Oh yes, quite clear.

So for those of us who actually know what HIPAA is, what it states, and what it means................are we knotheads for thinking that our grand medical insurance, that which was forced upon us by people whom we didn't want to do so, that health care will without a doubt be tried to used to implament confiscation/outlawing of our guns and just down right placating those left wing wishy washy bullies?

Yeah, it's simply anoother tool they will put to good use.......as they see it.:wavey:

6. WarCry

WarCry

If you thing there is any connection between the ACA, HIPAA, and any possible-but-only-hypothetical-at-this-point new gun legislation, then you have no idea about any of those things.

My credentials are certifying every year in my knowledge of HIPAA for roughly the last decade. I don't know your credentials, but I can assure you when it comes to the health care legislation, I DO know what I'm talking about.

7. RustyL

RustyL

Well ty kind sir for shedding light on this matter. You are correct that I know nothing about health insurance laws. However, my concerns are real considering our government post 9/11

8. WarCry

WarCry

I do understand the concern, but contrary to popular belief/rhetoric, the government hasn't done anything like that in secret. Even the most invasive portions of the Patriot Act were publicly available for reading.

The ACA has a LOT of stuff in it, but none of it gives the government permission or rights to keep any sort of medical records.

I won't say ignore the issue, you're right to have concerns about the government trying to get information. However, with the laws on the books now, it's just not there, so focus on anything new that's introduced and/or passed.

Keep your eyes open, but don't fall for gossip, hype, or "chicken-little" types of made-up information.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012