close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

I Was Ripped Off On This Sight!!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Happened To My Want Ads Area?' started by JesseWilson, Jul 17, 2002.

1. JesseWilson

JesseWilson

The culprit is JUSTIN MUSE and he is a senior member by the tag of "Chance79" I purchased this gun and paid via paypal to his girlfriends account, he then "SAYS" he sent it, but not through any means of verifiable transportation. NEEDLESS TO SAY IT DIDN'T SHOW UP! So now he pretty much just ignores my communications as well as paypals'. If anyone has any information on this PUNK A** PIECE OF SH***, please let me know. He is somewhere around Connautville, PA.

Jesse

Jesseawilson@aol.com

;m ;m ;m ;m

2. redmonster

redmonster Pelirojo

I have been ripped off before also. Different seller. Different website, but it stings just the same. I hope either your gun shows up or this guy gets his just reward. FYI, getting the authorities to do anything about going after this guy is going to turn your hair gray. Good luck.

3. tactical45

tactical45

#1 I suggest you contact the moderator here and have his account locked until he agrees to make good on the deal.

#2 I would contact the local authorities, along with the ATF in his area. (The ATF doesn't take matters like this very lightly when there is a firearm transfer involved). You could also have your FFL that the gun was to be shipped to contact them. He's the one with the license...it might go over better than an individual.

#3 Always pay for large items like this via postal money order. If you pay with a money order and they steal your money...it's considered mail fraud which is a federal offense.

Good luck.

4. Britt

Britt What?

Instead of going to paypal and trying to get your money why don't you go to your credit card or debit card company and get them to do a charge back. They will charge back the paypal account and give you your money back, then basically paypal has lost money not you.

DO NOT pay with a money order. if they take your money how are you gonna get it back without waiting forever. If you pay through paypal with a credit card and you don't get your stuff then get them to do a charge back. DO NOT try to get your money back through paypal because they will not help you in a timely mannor but your credit card company will give you a credit right now.

Britt

5. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

Wrong. Mail fraud requires that the offer for sale or the deceptive act occur via the mail. Receiving a payment IS NOT a deceptive act. It is a case of fraud or theft under the laws of the sellers state. It is not federal and is not mail fraud. This has to be the most common misconception about USPS money orders. A USPS money order is simply a money order issued on a bank in Missouri, nothing more.

6. JesseWilson

JesseWilson

An awnser should be coming soon they said they would handle it within 30 days and it has been 26days. But I don't immagine paypal will handle it lightly and just take the loss, when its there money they will probably be just a little more eager to try to retrieve it.

Jesse

P.S. even if paying by money order is a felony, your depending on someone else to take action and try to get your money back..... a year later.

7. psychoshot

psychoshot

Going the charge back route is the way to go. Also, report him or his girlfriend or whoever to Paypal. They will do a chargeback on his account as well if he can't prove he shipped an item and you signed for it.

Nobody, and I repeat, nobody at in the postal service is going to do anything about a M.O. Just ask the 12-15 of us who got burned sending money orders to some creep for magazines. Guess what, not one of us got our money back, and the cops did'nt catch the a$$hole either.

You have recourse with Paypal and your CC company. Use it!!

8. JesseWilson

JesseWilson

REFUND WAS RECIEVED TODAY, minus the paypal fees of course, but hell thats more than I was expecting: 0$!!!!

Thanks for all your help and concern guys!!!!!!

Jesse

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

9. mjs

mjs

Gotta love the happy ending. ;)

By refund, do you mean he/she voluntarily gave your money back... or PayPal handled it?

10. psychoshot

psychoshot

Sounds like PayPal handled it if they subtracted fees. If you would have sent a money order, you would be screwed.

11. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

i am hoping this transaction was to have taken place through an FFL.

glad you got most of your $ back.

12. JesseWilson

JesseWilson

Actually it was from the ripoff man himself..... don't ask my why he felt inclined to keep the paypal fees????

Jesse

13. mjs

mjs

Geez... what a lousy criminal! He's not going to get very far in a life of crime if he keeps offering refunds. ;f

You might want to check with paypal on that. Since the account is obviously still active, I would think they'd grab the rest of the money back from him. Maybe?

14. hinee hoonee

hinee hoonee

You may certainly call PAYPAL: 888-204-4481.
    If the refund is within 14 days..THERE IS NO FEE.
    The user clicks on REFUND!
    If he PAID YOU VIA PAYPAL.....you can still charge back the FULL AMOUNT on him, via :
    BUYERS PROTECTION PLAN...he has NO TRACKABLE (ONLINE) way of proving you rec'd goods....
    BZZZT He loses!

If the purchase was over $250...he would also need SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION via online tracking!

BZZZT HE LOSES!

When he has failed this with Paypal, he will have the WHOLE amount switched back to YOU!

ALL OF IT!
    He..will start screaming.."BUT ..BUT.I paid him back"!

YOU MAY THEN REFUND HIM HIS MONEY...or keep the fees, and give them to charity or to pay for the MAALOX he caused you to drink!

15. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I have had no problems with people on this site. I always get a real name and make a phone call or two and chat with the person on the phone to get a feeling about them. Glad you came out fairly well.

16. BMANSG17

BMANSG17

Hey, glad you got your money back (most anyway). To reinforce what psychoshot said about Postal money orders and the misconception that they offer some protection in a transaction, that is exactly what it is… a misconception. I was also involved in the Glock 23 magazine scam on this board and I can tell everyone first hand that sending money via USPS money order offers NO protection. In my case, I might as well have sent cash because the end result would have been the same and I would have saved the 90 cent money order fee.

Money orders are a convenience for the seller, nothing more. They offer no protection from fraud “under penalty of federal offense” for anyone using them. Trust me, I’ve been burned twice and both times I used a USPS money order. I’ll never see a dime from either case. I’ve learned the hard way that they are not much different from sending cash.

17. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Dear G17Man,

It doesn't appear that this statement is correct. According to the US Postal Inspection Service mail fraud occurs if the US mail is used in any part of the transaction. It doesn't matter by what means the transaction originated. If you mail the payment/merchandise it becomes mail fraud. This is from their Mail Fraud page:

"Postal Inspectors investigate any crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to further a scheme, whether it originated in the mail, by telephone or on the Internet. The use of the U.S. Mail is what makes it a mail fraud issue."
    http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/welcome.htm

Have a safe and happy holiday season! Gary

18. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

The long and short of it is to be careful when you are dealing with someone you don't know.

19. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

Re: Postal money orders. They offer no protection to the sender. Ask your post master.