I was reminded today of why I love to ride

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

I had to go into town this afternoon to run some errands, decided to take the backcountry roads (which are always more fun than the freeway). It had turned into a beautiful day, and the ride made me think once again of why I love being on two wheels.

The grass is a rich green from all the winter rains. The clouds had cleared by lunch time, the sky was a vibrant blue, the sun shining. Temps were in the low 50s, easily dealt with if you wear the right gear. Cruising the country lanes between 30-50mph, as the winding road dictates; coasting down the hills and powering through the curves with plenty of torque on tap, the constant interaction between rider and machine as they both depend on each other, the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground; flipping up the visor to feel the cold, clean air in my face; enjoying being a part of the scenery, rather than just looking at it, making my own landscape as I go. This is my freedom. I've earned it, and I enjoy it to the fullest. This is why I ride.

It comes to an end all too soon, with destinations appearing and other obligations to deal with. But then I smile, because I remember I still have to turn around and ride home again.

A few pics from today's awesome ride...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Smashy; Nice looking scoot! You know you are killing those guys up in the snow!! We went on a little 150 mile jaunt out in the country on Saturday on two wheels, too. Clear blue sky, about 62 degrees. Gotta love Texas!

3. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

Those pics remind me of the beautiful scenery when I used to ride from SoCal to CO. Great pics!

5. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

I hear you 110%, and what a fantastic bike to ride!

6. RustySocket

RustySocket

Beautiful day and a nice looking bike. Is that the Klamath area?

7. okie

okie GT Mayor

Awesome ride for sure:thumbsup:

8. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

Thats a great bike.

Actually shows some knowledge of the great big world of cool bikes that most people ignore.

9. Smashy

Smashy

Roseburg area.

10. KevR

KevR

I've heard that REs have some reliability issues. Do you find that true as well?

11. Smashy

Smashy

The only problem I've had so far is a short that was caused when a wire under the tank got mashed between the tank and frame. They can have problems and it's definitely more maintenance intensive than modern bikes, being an old design. If you want less of that and more 'don't worry about it', the new EFI models are the better choice (soon they'll be the only choice). But if you want the whole experience of an old design and not just the look, the old iron barrel is what you want.

But regardless, what it all comes down to is the ride, and this day's ride was spectacular, whether it was on my Enfield or my Honda.