Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,904 Posts
The .41 is awesome, very good cartridge. I've had the Super Redhawk .41 Mag and a few Blackhawks, but the Redhawk is nice too, just slightly prefer the SRH/GP100 trigger setup.

I've also had both 5" and 4" GP100's in 44 Special and they're very nice. Tough call! The 32's I don't have any experience with but a 327 Mag might be cool. I've consolidated down to reloading (and owning) only .40 and 10mm.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Crockett, more shopping therapy? Everything ok bud?

Something in 45 Colt should be in the consideration. WARNING!!: That could be the nudge you're looking for to

...teeter...

...then wobble...

...then tumble...

into the rabbit hole of bullet casting.

There is something cool about a big old lead 45 cal Keith-style bullet. A lot of history in that cartridge. Even cooler to see them dropped from a mold.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts

Something in 45 Colt should be in the consideration. WARNING!!: That could be the nudge you're looking for to

...teeter...

...then wobble...

...then tumble...

There is something cool about a big old lead 45 cal Keith-style bullet. A lot of history in that cartridge. Even cooler to see them dropped from a mold.
Beat me to the punch. Yep, the 'ole .45 Colt is a favorite and any time I read someone pondering a .44 Spl or .41 Maggie I wonder why not take the leap to a Redhawk in .45 Colt? Load 'er with softballs safe for old black powder frames and you've got a .44 Spl - only bigger. And in the Redhawk load 'er up stout and you'll outperform the .41 Maggie. Or just go all the way for a .454 Casull in a Super Redhawk frame. But I'm partial to the old .45 Colt in the large frame Blackhawk and Redhawk.

Grumpy

·
NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
726 Posts
Along those lines of my recent "I want yet another press" thread, I REALLY want a new gun, but I can't make up my mind.

This is also posted in the reloader section, because I want a gun in an "oddball" caliber that I will enjoy tinkering with and uploading a bunch of unique ammo for.

So everything mainstream like 9 mm, .45 ACP, 38 S, etc. is out or the pool right away. Not big on plastic guns either.

I'll list a few firearms that I have in mind, any suggestions in that direction would be nice.

- Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum
- Sig P229 Legion in .357SIG
- Ruger GP100 in .44 Special (but don't like the low 15k PSI SAAMI max pressure)
- NAA Guardian in .32 ACP
- Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum
I'd opt for the GP100 in 44 Spl. I love that caliber, will have to check that max. pressure, but it's a very accurate round.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts

...teeter...

...then wobble...

...then tumble...

I agree, and if its a Ruger, you can take that thing way up, into crockett territory.. :0

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

...teeter...

...then wobble...

...then tumble...

:supergrin:

Reading up on guns or reloading tools and shopping, is there anything better than that?! I there anything else?

Guns, tool and toys can't hurt you (unless you do something stupid), they don't nag, I can fix them, I can exchange them if I don't like'em, and they don't walk out on you one day. :)

·
Registered
37,614 Posts
A 4" redhawk would be a great field gun.

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GAME OVER

I was just browsing Ruger's website AGAIN. Had been there many times in the past days.

Somebody was listing to my prior posts on different forums, because they just added a 6" GP100 in .327 Federal Magnum. I swear, this model wasn't on their website a couple days ago.

I just can't believe it! I just posed about this wish a few days ago here on GT! Damn!

As some might know, I already own a GP100 in .327 Federal Magnum but with the 4.2" barrel. It was Rugers first appearance in .327 Federal Magnum. I love that revolver and that caliber, only wished for a.. well.. a 6" barrel.

I'm so happy right now.. I'll buy 2 guns.. so the Sig or another revolver are still up for a decision.

Black on white, I'm not dreaming, right?

https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1764.html

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
I just got back from a trip to a LGS and handled the Sig P229 Legion, in .40 S&W and not in .357SIG. I REALLY like how that pistol feels. Very balanced and ergonomic.

Problem is, Sig just discontinued this pistol and I have to make up my mind soon. There is only a handful left on GunBroker and soon they will gone or more expensive.

On the other hand, I have a real itch for nice revolver. A semi auto pistol is just that, a lifeless tool.

I also handled a Ruger Redhawk for the very first time. This one was in .44 Mag, and I didn't like the grip at all. It had that black rubber grip that makes it extremely "deep". I have pretty large hands but could barely wrap my fingers around it. Didn't feel right at all.

The question is, if the other Redhawks with classic wooden grips are much better.

I also just looked into 45 Colt. SAMMI max pressure is even lower, at just 14k PSI. I understand that a modern frame from Ruger will handle more, but that is probably not defined at all. Now a .454 Casull would nice and could handle fast loads, but that brings me too close to the .500 S&W Magnum category. I have one of those, don't shoot it a lot. I want a real shooter.

I think it comes down to:

Ruger Redhawk .41 Mag

Ruger GP100 .44 Special

Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum

That 44 Spl looks like a cool gun. I was actually taking a good look at that one.

Regarding 45 Colt, some of the manuals have separate sections for Ruger and Contender data. Definitely heats up the cartridge. A full-house LBT style bullet won't stay inside anything that roams the lower 48.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
That 44 Spl looks like a cool gun. I was actually taking a good look at that one.

Regarding 45 Colt, some of the manuals have separate sections for Ruger and Contender data. Definitely heats up the cartridge. A full-house LBT style bullet won't stay inside anything that roams the lower 48.
^^^This^^^
The 14k psi is for weaker guns and brass. Stout loads in good modern brass for the Redhawk and Blackhawk are totally different beasts altogether. While I have a fondness for the large frame Blackhawks, I really love my Redhawk 5" 45LC/45ACP convertible. Grips are just a perfect fit to my hand, everything "clicks" just right.

Back on topic, to the OP, hope your .327 Maggie proves out and keeps y'all smiling!

Grumpy

·
Banned
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

^^^This^^^
The 14k psi is for weaker guns and brass. Stout loads in good modern brass for the Redhawk and Blackhawk are totally different beasts altogether. While I have a fondness for the large frame Blackhawks, I really love my Redhawk 5" 45LC/45ACP convertible. Grips are just a perfect fit to my hand, everything "clicks" just right.

Back on topic, to the OP, hope your .327 Maggie proves out and keeps y'all smiling!

Grumpy
With the just discovered GP100 in .327 I won't get the .44 Special. That would be my 3rd GP100 and a bit boring for now.

Looking at the Redhawk options I'm between the .41 Mag and a .44 Mag. I'm leaning towards the .41 Mag, just to support this underrated caliber.

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
2,042 Posts
... I REALLY want a new gun, but I can't make up my mind ....

- Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum
- Sig P229 Legion in .357SIG
- Ruger GP100 in .44 Special (but don't like the low 15k PSI SAAMI max pressure)
- NAA Guardian in .32 ACP
- Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum
What?
No S&W 500 Magnum???

·
Registered
33,224 Posts
Why not some old time gun in .44-40, and get a lever to go with it. I don't know how in the olden days they loaded those loads separate, then kept them separate, one for pistol, one for rifle. Or did they load them the same?

Dunno, but could be a hobby in itself figuring it out :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts