I want to start reloading. Is this a good setup?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by hpb_rst, Mar 16, 2010.

1. hpb_rst

hpb_rst

Hello All,

I have been looking at getting into reloading for a while and have a bit of money to throw towards it thanks to a decent tax refund this year. I wanted to see if this was a good kit to get me started:

RCBS MASTER RELOADING KIT #09367. Comes with:case lube kit,hex key set,rotary case trimmer-2 kit,deburring tool,powder funnel,auto primer feed combo,Rock Chucker press,Speer reloading manual,primer tray x 2,case loading block,Model 5.0.5 scale and uniflow powder measure.

I would likely want to upgrade to a digital scale. Any recommendations?

I was thinking I would probably also need a tumbler to clean the brass?? Recommendations would be helpful here too.

Aside from that anything else I need? (Besides of course the dies and primers, brass, bullets, and powder)

BTW, I would be starting with reloading 38/357, 9mm, 10mm, and 45ACP but would eventually like to get into rifle cartridges 223, 243, 30-06, 308, and 45/70.

Any advice would be very helpful as I am a total novice to relaoding at this point. :wow:

Thanks
    Russell
    hpb_rst

2. XDRoX

XDRoX

That's a great starter kit. It does come with almost everything you need and it is quality stuff.
    I bought my tumbler and Harbor Freight for $50.
    You'll also need digital caliper, midway has one on sale for $13.

If you do decide to go with a single stage kit, that one is awesome.

Another good choice would be a Lee Turret press, which you could load faster with.

3. sig357fan

sig357fan

the Rock Chucker is one of the best single stage presses made and will last you years and years.

BUT...

..it is over kill for handgun reloading, after all, the RCBS RC with handle up to and including full length sizing of 50 BMG brass.

SO...

..it will handle any of the rifle reloading you mentioned with ease.

The kit you mention will provide you with most eveything you need less dies, shell holder and a way to clean your brass.

The items in the kit will work with any press so it you deside to get a progressive/turret press at a later date to use for handgun ammo, all you'll need is the press set up.

A single stage press is the best way to learn to reload, no worrying about if the press is working correctly.

The Speer reloading manuel should have step by step instructions on reloading so you should have everything covered.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions here,

sig357fan

*note: this is my opinion, there are many like it but this one is mine.

4. Lothar

Lothar Noob

I don't think the rock chucker does .50 BMG, but other wise this is what i would say also.

Looks like you'll be loading a lot of pistol ammo, not a bad idea to look at the Lee Classic Turret, it'll do all you are wanting to do as well.

5. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

It's a good press. As to suitability for reloading 4 pistol calibers: if you want to reload pistol ammo nearly as slowly as humanly possible, then single-stage is definitely the way to go.

thorn

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I don't like single stages for Pistol. I have always felt that you are trying to make too much ammo with too slow of a machine. It's far to easy to get distracted and make a big mistake. Another friend of mine uses a Rock Chucker for pistol loading. He had 4 squibs in the last match and just went home. Pulled 100 rds and found about 15 more. I would consider a LCT for pistol and a Rock Chucker for rifle. Or a 550/LnL and do it all on that. I would only start with a Single Stage if I shot mostly rifle.

7. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

As others have said I think a LCT would be better, but the press you listed is a good one.

8. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

that pretty much sums it up. I can't wait to load rifle on my 550B

9. RustyFN

RustyFN

I have to agree with the others about a single stage being slow for pistol ammo. I load on the recommended Lee classic turret and think it's a great starter press. I just loaded 400 rounds of 9mm tonight. With all the double checking of the seating die, powder measure and filling the primer tray it took 2.5 hours.

10. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I just kind of scanned your list. I do not think a cheap digital scale is an upgrade from a 505. The 505 is probably the best scale out there.

If money is tight, you don't need a tumbler. I don't tumble my brass. It's not worth spinning this thread off topic. Just suffice it to say that you don't NEED a tumbler to reload and it can be added later if you want.

I don't have a Rock Chucker, but RCBS is first rate stuff. Their customer service is EXCELLENT. I broke one of their priming tools by dropping it on a concrete floor and they asked me my address when I called. A new unit showed up a couple of days later, gratis.

I do have the smaller RCBS press (Partner?). It was very affordable and works great for the things that get done on a single stage. Single stages are the best way to learn. If you get a progressive later on, the single stage will still get used for low volume calibers.

11. fredj338

fredj338

A SS is fine, just depends on your ammo needs. I loaded for years in my younger days on a RCBS Jr. Yeah, it's slow, but done in stages, you can do about an avg of 100rds/hr. If you only shoot 100rds of a given caliber per month, you certainly don't need more press. Besides, as you learned, you can always use a ss press.
    I run two 550B & still load quite a bit on my AmmoMaster. When I only need 20rds of 404jeffery, or 458lott or whatever, I don't want to tear down my 550B from 45acp or the other for 357sig to setup for 20rds. You can always find a use, like sizing bullets.:rofl: As to your friend w/ the squibs, he just needs to pay attention, just like w/ a progressive. ANyone relying on their powder COP & not verifying powder drops is foolish IMO. Every mech device can & will fail & some point.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I agree, I just don't think the SS is as safe for people. It's just more problem prone. If you only need 100 rds a month and your never pressured to make that 100rds then it's no big deal. But when its staterday and you need 300 rds for a match on sunday and all you got is a single stage your just asking for trouble. Like you said, if all you need is 100rds a month it's not a big deal. I do know someone who shoots a lot that uses a RockChucker. So yeah, I know it can be done. It's far from ideal in my opinion.

13. glockensteen

glockensteen

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I would start loading 1 of the pistol calibers, rather than trying to start, learning all of them. Learn the nuances of reloading. I started loading .38spl, and shot them out of my .357's... I figure if I did anything really stupid, a .357 should handle it...

I don't load rifle, so I have no advice for that....

IGF

15. JMiller

JMiller

I went with the RCBS SS now I am just frustrated by the slow pace. I would spend a little more and get the progressive.

16. meangreenlx50

meangreenlx50

Look at the Lee Turret press. They can operate in a semi progressive fashion but with the linkage out it will be a single (great for learning). The Auto disk powder measures are easy to set up and more accurate than you would think. I base this recommendation as a starting point for learning and trying to cut down on shooting cost. If you want to reload for improving accuracy then more specialized equipment will be needed. Don't be afraid to start small and grow into it.

17. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

Don't waste your time and money on a single stage press for pistols or semi-auto rifles!

I started out with a Dillon XL 650 15 years ago. It's the only press I will ever need.
    Buy the blue press and you wont haver buyer's remorse.

18. bambikilr

bambikilr

looks good...if ya want to shoot alot tho, get a turret press...for my hunting & SD loads, i use a single...& i reloaded for 2 years before i bought a tumbler...good luck & have fun, be safe & pay attention to what you are doing when reloading, don't want any accidents

19. BK63

BK63

+1 ....

20. Brad_G

Brad_G

If you want to save money, still load 150 rounds an hour, and it still be easy to get started, get the Lee Classic Turret Press.

If you have the money, just pull the trigger and get a Dillon.......you won't regret it.