close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I want to set up a webserver, please help me.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by David_G17, Feb 7, 2005.

1. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Ok, I've done enough googling to know that I'm not going to find out that way. Maybe i just don't know enought to know what to search for.

I've installed Apache on a Fedora Core system and loading 127.0.0.1 into a web browser works fine.

I want to be able to type an IP address (the address of my home computer) into a browser from work, and access web pages I've made on my system. Isn't there some way I can edit the Apache httpd.conf to open a port or something?

I have DSL and have the modem's firewall disabled.

any help/ideas are appreciated, thanks.

I know there are web hosting services, but I'd like to figure out how all of this Internet stuff works ;)

2. Toyman

Toyman

Start by re-enabling the firewall, and routing port 80 to that machine with the web server.

3. David_G17

thanks, this is done through the modem, right?

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

When you say "modem", you really mean "router", don't you?

Do you have a router that translates from public IP addresses outside to private addresses inside? It also runs the firewall. Is that your setup, or do you have public addresses on your internal network?

5. Specks

Specks

It will also help to have a static IP address assigned to your dsl modem from your ISP, otherwise you will have to check it every couple of days to see what it is. You really should have a router between your dsl modem and your server. Your router needs to be configured to allow traffic through port 80 (standard http port) and forward it to your apache server (often refered to as the DMZ). Once this is done, you should not have any problems connecting to your server from anywhere outside your private network at home. I don't think you need to change the apache config if your able to get to pages through 127.0.0.1 from the server.

6. David_G17

it's an external DSL modem, but it probably does routing (looks like you're right). it's model 6100 on this page http://www.westell.com/pages/produc...3@@@@&BV_EngineID=fadcjiiekdgdbedcfkcfkcfin.0

i'm pretty sure it does. it looks like my IP is 192.168.x.x

ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:39:52:A7
    inet addr:192.168.1.45 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20d:88ff:fe39:52a7/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:990 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:965 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:996898 (973.5 KiB) TX bytes:147363 (143.9 KiB)
    Interrupt:3 Base address:0xb800

and my modem/router is 192.168.0.1, so my understanding is that my public IP is going to the router and the router changes it to a private IP?

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That page seems to be temporarily unavailable. I get repeated error messages: " An error has occurred. Most likely, your session with Westell.com either timed out or could not be retrieved." I'll try it in an hour or so. I am sure your problem will be nicely solved. Specs already outlined the procedure. Whether you do have a DMZ port on that device is another question. We'll look at it shortly.

8. David_G17

thanks for all the help, looks like i may have figured it out with the help posted here.

thanks!

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Cool. So what's the address? :)