close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I want to buy a digital camera...

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Nestor, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

It's serious expense for us, but we will buy a digital camera right after a Christmas. I NEVER had any experience with this kind of camera, so you can consider myself as a totaly green. I have traditional camera, but it's very expensive to develop the pictures this way, so it's the main factor of our decision. I also want to share with you some pictures, so it will be much more easier thanks to digital camera.
    I found few questions for you: since we want to make a move to US in 2-3 years time I want to be sure that we can buy a new recharger for batteries in US and use it over there also. Here we using a 220V and we have different plugs also. I love to take a pictures of nature (sometimes highly detailed) and panoramas. Is it possible to take pictures in the night? If there is such possibility I'm also iterested (sorry maybe it's stupid question, but as I said I don't know nothing about digital cameras). Tell me what about those millions of pixels and zooms. How to find something useful for me from all those possible zooms? What's all about?
    Thank you in advance...

Adam

2. RBR

RBR

Nestor,

Whatever you want to take pictures of, there is a digital camera that can do it. What you probably want is something that has user manual control of basic settings for aperture,speed,white-balance,focus etc. Any cameras that offer this capability will also have pre-set modes: portrait,panorama,landscape,macro,night-mode etc. You basically turn a dial/button and the the camera configures itself to take the picture as it sees fit to. As for megapixels it really depends on what you intend to do with the image (printing size, editing, cropping). I would try to get a camera that is around 4-5 MP's. You also need to consider storage-medium, battery type, external flash capable etc. Buying discontinued models may save you some money as the technology/capability changes. I'm partial to Canon Powershot "G" models.

For some basic info try http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/basics/

For reviews & information these 2 should will get you started.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    http://www.dpreview.com/

3. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Thank you my friend. First steps are always most difficult :)

Adam

4. podwich

podwich

If you buy a camera that uses AA type rechargeable batteries, you'll be able to quite easily buy a different charger when you move.

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

This is very important for us. Thank you.

6. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Thank you Glockman I will :)

8. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Now that I hooked ya in, you can't beat the price vs. performance in a Canon A-series digicam. ^c

gman67

9. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Canon A95 seems to be interesting for me :)

10. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Yup, ever since someone here on GT gave the A80 (A95's older brother) a glowing review, I couldn't wait to pick one up. Took me a year, but hey, 4MP is all I need for now.

gman67

11. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

Most battery chargers for digital cameras accept 100-240V so you should be able to use them anywhere as long as you have the wall plug in adapter.

12. Glk23

Glk23

Just bought my parents the A95 Cannon. They should love it. I currently own the Nikon 5200. Great camera, rivals the A95.

13. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

I just found that site, and was going to post it here..... but I see you beat me to it.

the "find the best camera for you" feature is simply amazing.

14. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

My pops just got a Sony 3.2MP Cybershot for his retirement. Might have to do a side by side comparison with my A80. ;f

gman67

15. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

another vote for anything canon. i think the "a" series is great for beginners. here are some of my pics with my a60.

www.sulaco.info/pics

16. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Get at least 3.2 megapixels. More is better up to about 5 megapixles. Get the most you can afford.

Get at least 3X optical zoom.

Ignore digital zoom numbers and total zoom numbers, they are meaningless.

Get one with external flash capability if you can find one. Built in flashes suck, limiting your low light photos to about 10 feet max.

Watch the ISO equivalent number. (100 is really slow.)

Understand that all digital cameras have an agonizing delay between pressing the shutter release and taking the picture. That means that photos of kids and other moving objects will not be what you thought you snapped. You will get closed eyes, blurred images, etc., especially in low light which translates into slow shutter speeds---and particularly if you have zoomed way out.

Digitals work great in high light levels. They suffer in low light.

Get one with manual focus and manual exposure over-ride of the automatic settings if you can. Auto is nice except when you want to control what the photo looks like.

I would stay away from FujiFilm cameras. I bought a FujiFilm 3800 and have been unhappy with it for all the above reasons.

And watch the storage media. Check out prices of the storage media before you buy the camera. You will shoot all your photos at the highest resolution, which means that you wil buy more storage.

Get one that takes AA batteries. Then buy some NiMH rechargable batteries and a charger. eBay has some good deals on NiMH batteries.

Ignore motion recording capability and sound recording capability. They are mostly useless gimmicks.

Good luck.

NRA_guy

17. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Wow! Thank you, it's great place for newbie like me. :)

Adam

18. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Good luck. But like the "perfect" gun, when cost is a factor, there is no perfect digital camera. You have to give up some things to get what you can afford.

E.g., you probably won't find external flash capability (hot shoe or PC plug) on anything you can afford.

Likewise, manual focus is not generally available on affordable cameras.

When you get into removable lenses and digitals that accept 35-mm lenses, you are talking about several thousand US dollars.

I have been looking around and B&H Photo at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

probably has the best web site for choosing a digital camera. You have to drill down pretty far into their web site to get to the detailed specifications on a particular camera.

But they have good prices, and you can buy from them (not sure about overseas shipments). They are an old trusworthy brick and mortar store, not just a dot com web site.

They also list some used equipment.

NRA_guy

19. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

Over the summer I got my first digital camera: PowerShot A80.

It is a great camera. Good for a beginner, yet it has lot's of options (while remaining simple).

The PowerShot series is a great series.

20. hile

hile

If the Powershots are of quality analogous with the EOS series, then I woudln't hesitate to buy a PowerShot. I really like Canon (though my SLR is an old pentax; Does enough for me right now).