Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I want an IPaq so I can eBay in the john...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jpa, Sep 9, 2005.

1. jpa

jpa CLM

Las Vegas NV
    This is what I heard from my dad tonight as I was setting up a wireless network router in my room, since I'm moving back into their house temporarily. Apparently he saw something in the paper or on tv advertising IPaqs and mentioned 802.11g connectivity. He was reading the box on my router and saw the same numbers and asked if it would work. Now I'm tasked with researching the best HP/Compaq IPaq for "checking eBay on the john." He also saw something about wireless hotspots at mcdonalds and starbucks and now wants to be able to connect there too. If anyone has any advice or ideas (besides taking tv and newspapers away from him) it's much appreciated. Where to buy? Where to get info? Which model to pick? It doesn't have to be an IPaq specifically, but PocketPC OS is preferred.

2. SomeGuyInAHat

Get either an IPaq ( or a Dell Axim (

McDonald's is on the SBC FreedomLink network. Starbucks is on the T-Mobile Hot-Spot network. Both require subscription. If your dad is an SBC DSL customer, I believe he can get FreedomLink for $1.99/month. FreedomLink is also in Borders and UPS Stores. Which is helpful if you like to hang out at the UPS Store.

I had an IPaq with WiFi for a while. It was convenient for the usual PDA stuff like managing my calendar, contacts, and task list. I also had MS Money and MS Streets and Trips on it, which were very helpful. As far as it's internet capabilities, it was dissapointing at best. I could use it to check my mail with the built-in pop/smtp client, and if I was really determined I could check a web site or two. But actually surfing, especially ebay auctions, on a 240x320 screen was aggravating. Way too much scrolling. Of course, nothing less that 1280x1024 will do as far as i'm concerned.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Woestyn Kusdorp
    Where does he spend the most time?The McDonalds near me has a sign that says "No Loitering,You have 20 minutes to consume your food".We have some wifi hot spots outside in the city from the city and telephone company and not many Starbucks here have wifi that I know.