close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I wanna grill some corn on the cob. Suggestions and tips wanted.

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lwt210, Aug 1, 2004.

1. lwt210

lwt210

The title says it all. Need to know the following...

what to put on it
    how long to grill it
    tips and tricks for tasty COTC (corn on the cob).

Thanks in advance.

2. Skyhook

Skyhook

We use two methods depending upon several factors (like how lazy we feel):cool:
    1) Soak the entire ear(s) in a pail of water for, say, 1/2 hr, then put the entire cob on the grill turning it every four-to-five minutes... cook at high temp for approx. 20 min.
    2) Remove the husks, extract that stuff called 'silk', replace the ear in the husk & tie the husks closed.. turn every 4-5 min.. cook for 20 min.

Method #1 results in a robust flavor some do not really like, while method #2 gives the roasted corn a more delicate flavor. I like #1, but then again, I also like pickled sausage and eggs in the morning.;f

3. bachchoy

bachchoy Bond

4. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

LW,
    I soak the corn in the husk in some sugar water for approximatley 1/2 hour. Get the grill to @ 500 degrees, place corn on the grill as is. I may remove some of the excess silk and excess husk. Leave on for @ 5minutes then turn, do this @ every 5 minutes for @ 20 minutes. Then you are done. Now this is how I do it on my Weber gas grill. On my Weber charcoal grill it may take a little longer and I need to rotate the corn around for the best hot/cool spots. Good luck

5. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I have tried the tricks above, but began to nix the foil option because I wanted the "smoke flavor" and nixed the cooking in the husk deal as it is a pain to peel after being cooked. (Messy more than anything.) - Both option do taste good though.

So last time I cooked corn on the cob I pulled the husks off, and with some I brushed some olive oil on the corn, with others I did not, and threw them on the grill. I turned them frequntly. THEY WERE GREAT and everyone loved them!

6. Doug_Y

Doug_Y Sith Happens

I have two methods:

1.) From Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill." Peel the corn and preheat the grill to high. Brush the ears with garlic/parsley butter and cook over direct heat for 8 to 12 minutes. You have to watch for flare-ups with this recipie. You also need to flip the corn frequently so it doesn't dry out and burn.

2.) Peel off the husk. Wrap the ears with bacon and then with aluminum foil. Cook the corn for about 15 minutes over direct high heat and flip often. I still don't have the cooking time down on this recipie, so you'll have to experiment. The bacon adds a wonderful flavor to the corn and I feel the recipie doesn't need any butter, just a touch of salt.

7. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Sugar water eh? I just soak mine in plain water and throw it on the grill.

There is nothing like corn prepared like that!

8. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I usually only use the sugar water when corn are out of season. When I can get good Jersey corn, then it is just plain water. But for a little variety try sprinkling Old Bay seasoning on your corn after cooking it!

9. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Well aren't you the adventurous one?

Just wanted you to know how much I have learned from you:

This weekend in the Berkshires, we took several lobsters to their demise. I had mentioned your technique to my father-in-law, an avid hunter who made no squimish faces when ramming that poor lobster up its..well...through the tail. He placed his upon the grill and waited until it turned bright red.

Me..I was still lulling mine to sleep in warm water.