close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I used to think climbing Everest was cool...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by speedsix, Jan 1, 2010.

1. speedsix

speedsix

After watching Everest: Beyond the Limit I have changed my mind.

I didn't realize how much human poop and pee was up there. It doesn't decompose so all the poop, piss, trash, dead bodies and other filth is up there forever.

I didn't realize how crowded it was up there. People have to wait in long lines to get to the summit.

I didn't realize that the route was already planned out for you and there are permanent metal ladders and in some cases steps in place. There are pre-installed safety lines all up the mountain as well.

I didn't realize how much work the Sherpas do for many of these so called "Mountain climbers". If you have the money, you can have the Sherpas carry all your gear and most people do. They will carry your O2, food, tents, gear, and everything you should be carrying for yourself.

I have lost a lot of respect for Everest climbers. It just doesn't look all that special anymore. There are a lot cooler things to do with 3 months and $40,000 IMHO.

2. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Did you gain some respect for the Sherpas?

3. raven11

raven11

it use to be climbing Mt Everest was the crowning achevement after climing all of the other great mountains of the world , too bad it has become something of a mountaineers tourist trap

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Mmmm. Big pooppeesicle. Mmmmm.

5. RustySocket

RustySocket

I feel the same. Watched a couple of episodes.. enough for me.

6. itstime

itstime

I have big respect for the Sherpa. I bet they do that for next to nothing also.

7. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Hahahahahahaahaha...

Think you can handle 29,000' elevation? Think you can move in that rarified air?

Do people still die every year trying to conquer Everest?

Go for it. Give us a call when you get to the top.

8. Retseh

Retseh

Watching those idiots with no knees and missing vertebra putting the Sherpas lives at risk just to satisfy their egos pisses me off no end, especially when it's obvious they can't make it. One guy even tried to climb it on his hands and knees - it isn't courage or commitment, it's just crass stupidity.

We've trashed that mountain just like we trash everything we visit, it is quite literally a crap hole.

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I saw one show (similar) to what you are talking about. Also the people would IGNORE other climbers who are in trouble. "If we stop to help/give them our Oxygen, help them down we would LOSE our chance to make it to summit."
    There was a time I was interrested in climbing. NOT Everest. (unless I thought I had chance to find Noah's ark)

10. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

K2 is a much more challenging mountain. And three times more likely to kill you if you try it.

11. screaminbeagle

screaminbeagle

[​IMG]george leigh mallory use to think climbing mount everest was cool,too.....

12. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

"Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?" "Because it's there" Famous last words.
    You would think someone would take the time to bury his body.

13. vart

vart

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

i can't blame anybody for climbing everest that ever walked through a really bad neighborhood. there's worse than a frozen mountaintop to be disgusted by. Many of what are called cities in this world are sewers above ground, and not particularly surviveable for strangers. Everest ain't all that different, just taller.

15. steve1988

steve1988

It's too high to bring him down, and it's too hard to bury him, given the altitude and temperature. Personally, I think leaving him on the mountain is a fitting memorial to him, but that's just my opinion.

16. Menehune

Menehune

There is a rock cairn built over Mallory's body now. I haven't seen it mentioned in the show, but there are bodies you have to pass to summit.

Way too much risk, and about impossible to bring someone down that has died up there. And they do stay preserved pretty well up there.

but yeah, the area is a dumping ground for trash. O2 bottles are everywhere, trash, old tents, clothes, etc...There is a cave on the way to the summit, with a body in it, and the body is surrounded by empty O2 bottles. Google "Green Boots" for the story on him, an Indian Climber who didn't make it home.

The Sherpas are about as tough as they come, and pretty much live up there a lot of the time.

17. ked

ked

read the book, "into thin air" by John Krakauer! excellent read. he was on assignment from Outside Magazine to write about the commercialization of Everest. it was his view of the 1996 catastrophe on Everest that left 13 dead.

ked:wavey:

18. Caver 60

Caver 60

I think there is more to a rescue on Everest well above the 'death zone' than you might realize. If a person can't make it on their own, it will quickly become a body recovery and that's simply not worth the risk to other human life that would be required to do that.

I've been in three separate caving situations where a person had life threatening problems. If that person couldn't have made it out on their own, we would have had to leave them to die. We were sort of in the equivalent of a "cave death zone" on each occasion.

Each time we helped the person in trouble all we could, without compromising our own safety. We carried their gear, encouraged them, etc. In each case they were able to exit on their own power. But if they had went unconscious and been unable to move, rest assured we would have left them to their fate.

At the location where we were at in the cave, it would have been impossible for our small party to rescue them. By the time we could have returned with a suitable rescue party, it would have definitely been a body recovery. If we had foolishly stayed there with them in a fruitless attempt to rescue them, we would have died with them.

We all knew the risk we were taking on each trip and none of us would have wanted other people to stay there and die with us, if we couldn't have made it own our own. That's part of what high stakes adventure is about. Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  19. partsman

partsman

i dont get why it is impossible to bring somebody down.........

20. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Remember that blind guy that was led up to the top? That story just came with jokes premade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010