Glock Talk banner

I turned down a couple of opportunities

453 Views 37 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  4949shooter
Well Guys and Gals, I turned down a couple of opportunities that could have lead to advancement. Basically, these were two jobs within the NJSP that are considered stepping stones. One of them is a training job, and the other is to be part of a mobile video recorder review team. There was no guarantee I would get either one of them, but I can say that it was looking good for me.

The training job sounded nice...running our agency qualifications. The only problem is quals only run twelve weeks a year. The rest of the time I would be doing administrative BS. This didn't appeal to me. I caught a ration of crap from my two station commanders for turning them down, and my father says I should not have turned anything down. Though, after talking to him yesterday I think he knows where I am coming from now.

Oh well....I am reasonably confident I made the right decision, at least for me. I would rather be with the troops in the field more than anything else.

This doesn't mean I am dead in the water or anything, but I did give up any edge I would have had.

Anyway....thanks for letting me vent.

I hope you all have a safe holiday season.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Banned
12,230 Posts
Sorry, had to type that one fast. If you think you did the right thing, then that's all that matters. Like you said on job 1, do you really want to have 12 weeks of fun, and 40 weeks of dull? And for job 2, do you really want to be going over hell and high water to go watch video?

You might be a little old and rusty, but you still have unleaded gasoline to burn.

· Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
69,065 Posts
You do what you do. :thumbsup:

· IWannaBeSedated
11,306 Posts
Don't do anything that doesn't feel right. The casting agent for "Chorus Line" will wake up and give you your shot at stardom. Don't give up hope!!

· Enforcerator.
11,292 Posts
There is nothing wrong with being happy and doing what feels right to you. Not following my gut has usually been the start of every bad career move I have ever made.

· Registered
437 Posts
Hey, I agree with you 1000%. I love the street and have turned downed everything to stay there. By they way, thanks for my sig. line.:tongueout:

· Zombie Jeebus!
1,068 Posts
Well I'm sure your troops are thankful - good supervisors are few and far between sometimes, esp. ones that would do injury to their own wallet/career advancement to do the right thing. :thumbsup:

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fernman;11860646 said:
Well I'm sure your troops are thankful - good supervisors are few and far between sometimes, esp. ones that would do injury to their own wallet/career advancement to do the right thing. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Fern. :cool:

· Registered
437 Posts
4949shooter;11849069 said:
Well Guys and Gals, I turned down a couple of opportunities that could have lead to advancement. Basically, these were two jobs within the NJSP that are considered stepping stones. One of them is a training job, and the other is to be part of a mobile video recorder review team. There was no guarantee I would get either one of them, but I can say that it was looking good for me.

The training job sounded nice...running our agency qualifications. The only problem is quals only run twelve weeks a year. The rest of the time I would be doing administrative BS. This didn't appeal to me. I caught a ration of crap from my two station commanders for turning them down, and my father says I should not have turned anything down. Though, after talking to him yesterday I think he knows where I am coming from now.

Oh well....I am reasonably confident I made the right decision, at least for me. I would rather be with the troops in the field more than anything else.

This doesn't mean I am dead in the water or anything, but I did give up any edge I would have had.

Anyway....thanks for letting me vent.

I hope you all have a safe holiday season.
And I thank you as do all the people you serve and protect my friend. It is hard to find good people. It is next to impossible to find excellent people who care!:wavey:

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BGPD;11868289 said:
And I thank you as do all the people you serve and protect my friend. It is hard to find good people. It is next to impossible to find excellent people who care!:wavey:
I thank you, Sir.

· Crazy CO
17,668 Posts
Right now you're happy, yes? Then do what you do best and enjoy life.:cool:

· Zombie Jeebus!
1,068 Posts
How goes things?

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Things are moving along as they have been. I think I made the right decision, at least for me. I see the guys coming in the station doing the job I turned down and think, "I'm glad that isn't me." It might hurt me for advancement though. But being there for my guys is more important to me.

Thanks for asking, Fern. :wavey:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts