close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I took the plunge!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MetalSlugIV, Feb 3, 2010.

1. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

I did it just! This evening I went out to my local gun shop and got myself a brand new G19! Thanks to everyone here at GT for all the advice! I am now a proud Glock owner! I can't wait to take it to the range! Sadly that might be a while as I started my new job this week.

Before I shoot for the first time, should I use a solvent to take off the copper colored stuff that comes from the factory and lube it myself?

2. Glocken-spiel

Glocken-spiel

the copper stuff is lubricant and good stuff. don't lube your gun, shoot it some and enjoy it. use good cased ammo and you'll be surprised at how clean it stays. have fun.

3. OLEDAVE

OLEDAVE What you said?

Congratulations!!!!

4. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Good for you, keep that, "copper colored stuff," on and welcome. :wavey:

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I would scrub the barrel/chamber then SHOOT:wavey:

6. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Great choice on the G19. Congrats

7. picturethis

picturethis

How much did it run ya? Good choice!

8. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Cant go wrong with the G19.

9. jockdeeznutz

jockdeeznutz

Congrats...it was my first glock too. Enjoy it and shot the s*** out of it lol

10. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

From one G19 owner to another...congrats! :wavey:

11. cimpala

cimpala

Congrats!!!!!!

12. hardcorp

hardcorp

Congrats!... Just add ammo...

13. viniglock

viniglock

14. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

I managed to pick up a few boxes of WWB. I only have 200 rounds on me at this moment. I need to start stock piling the ammo!

15. voyager4520

voyager4520

Congrats!

Don't use solvent on anything but the inside of the barrel. Some of the internal parts and the rails in the frame are nickel plated and ammonia based solvents will harm metal plating.

The first time I shot my Glock, I left the copper-colored lube in place and used small drops of gun oil anywhere the manual said to. Anywhere that already had the copper-colored lube(and the manual said to lube), I added a very tiny drop of gun oil, then racked the slide a few times to evenly distribute everything. I put 100 rounds through it on the first trip, wihch is as long as Glock recommends you leave the copper stuff in for.(and I've never had a malfunction)

I use solvent inside the barrel, let it soak, run the bore brush through, let it soak some more, then run clean dry patches through. Everything else on the gun gets cleaned with lightly oiled patches/rags, then wiped dry with clean dry patches/rags. I clean the breech face(the face that the striker comes through to strike the primer) and around the extractor claw with a clean dry soft nylon brush while the slide is pointing with the muzzle toward the ground so I don't get debris into the firing pin channel, then I use clean dry patches to clean the breech face. The magazines and any plastic part of the frame gets cleaned with clean dry patches/rags.

Don't get oil, solvent, other liquids, or foreign debris into the firing pin channel or other internals of the slide. Don't use a steel bore brush(or any steel brush) and if using a bronze brush, don't reverse the direction of the brush inside the barrel and only push the brush through from the chamber end, do not pull it back through the muzzle end. Don't over-lubricate, use a small drop of oil or lubricant in the areas specified in the manual. Don't get oil on the breech face or in the magazines, as it can contaminate primers and cause the contaminated rounds not to fire. It's not the end of the world if you do get oil in those places, just make sure to wipe them dry the best you can especially if you keep a round in the chamber.

Some info in videos:
    Glock Do's and Dont's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_2ykakOgU
    Lubrication: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc (this guy uses WAY too much lube in each area, but he shows what areas need to be lubed in detail)
    Pistol Cleaning by NutnFancy, the Glock example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx0-hMFako (he pulls the bore brush back through the muzzle end, which I don't recommend. He also uses grease on the rails, which isn't necessary but works just fine as long as you don't use too much)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  16. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

Good choice, now shoot and enjoy it!