close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I took the MSF course this weekend and I got hooked.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Maggy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. The Maggy

The Maggy

Now I just have to find a bike to feed my addiction :crying: I honestly don't know why I waited so long to do this though, it was the most fun that I have had in a long time.

2. Random

Random AtticRat

Nice. I went through the course 5 times. Even after having a bike for years I kept dragging friends to it and going through with them. Was pretty fun.

You decide what style you're gonna go with?

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Better late than never.

Just remember that because you're in a certain age group, it doesn't mean that you have to ride some sort of geezer ride. You're only as old as who you feel or which bike you ride.

4. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I soooo want to do this still. Someday.

5. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

I just completed my course on Tuesday.

Got a perfect score on the written and the verbal test.

Thats not to brag - the test was extremely easy. My point? I CANNOT believe that some of these riders FAILED it. And some of the ones that passed did so horrible on it that I would be afraid to ride with them on the road.

6. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

the course is a great thing. around here, the waiting list is forever long, but, the insurance break alone made it worth the wait.

7. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

What kind of bike are you thinking about?

8. The Maggy

The Maggy

The used market in my part is kind of slim pickings unless you like Harleys.

I'd personally like to start somewhere in the ninja line a 250 (if I can fit on it) or a used 500/650. At this point, I just want to stay away from the cruisers unless I absolutely have to.

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I guess I'm the opposite. I've had 5 bikes (okay, so 6) and I've never taken the course. :embarassed:

10. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

I think you will be making a mistake going with a anything but a true sportbike if you want that style. A good 600 or better yet a 750 would make more sense.

You will be bored to death with one of the imitation sportbikes. They are just junky. Buy once, cry once.

My first bike was a Suzuki TL1000R with some performance mods. It only would go as fast as I twisted the throttle. I learned to respect that bike quickly but never laid it down.

It did handle great and had good brakes. Very important to me.

11. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

I agree with the poster above me. If you've taken the course, don't get a 250. You'll get bored fast.

12. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I'm planning on taking the MSF next year (one of my friends will be teaching it), and hopefully picking up a cheap bike shortly after that. Been wanting to for about a decade now.

13. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I did it a couple years ago, I had a lot of fun. I met some really nice people in the class. I guess it is good when everybody there has at least ONE common interest.

I didn't realize how worn out I would be after the class. I slept REALLY well both Sat and Sun night after doing that.

14. November

November

I will say that the Ninja 250 is a fantastic bike for the beginner or advanced rider. Easy to control and excellent mileage. And they like to be wound UP. Of course you will probably outgrow it, but there are many like myself who have gone up and then back down the cc ladder and found that a small displacement motorcycle/scooter gives more smiles per mile. My free advice is to start with a smaller bike so you can truly learn and define what you want out of your next bike.

15. edporch

edporch

I took the ABATE course many years ago.
    Learned a lot and it was a blast.
    Got the only perfect score on the written test in the class.

As to a good motorcycle?
    Check out my Avatar...

A 2008 Yamaha FJR 1300 has served me well since June of 2008 when I bought it new.
    I've never regretted my choice to get a performance touring bike.

I'm 56 years old and it's a blast to ride!

It's a good bike that can go across town or across country, has great performance, is easy to maintain, runs on regular gasoline and will get 45mpg.

The hard side bags will come off in seconds.

The new 2012 FJR1300 is a great bike!

[​IMG]

16. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

This link and what November posted are spot on. However depending on what the OP wants out of his bike experience goes a long way towards determining what is most appropriate. IMO

Here is my example. In the early 2000's I was a sales manager at a large car dealership. We had an Army of young guys on the sales floor. Average age was 22. The economy was booming at the time and everybody was out buying toys. I probably had 15-18 new bikes bought in a couple year span by my guys. I liked them spending money. They were hungrier. A lot of 600's were bought but some guys went smaller 250's and 500"s. All regretted it. Most were back trading them in a couple of months. When your out riding with a group that have bigger bikes you are constantly working your butt off just to keep up. You also don't look or sound as cool. I know it shouldn't matter but it does. If your young and in that crowd you will ride fast and hard. You are stupid still. I was a little older and still stupid.

Now if all the OP wants is a bike to ride around by himself or a group of like minded riders, I recommend an SV 650. Great bike, plenty of power and a much more comfortable riding position.

17. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I took the beginner and advanced course (it's free here) for the insurance discount after riding for twenty years.

The instructors, two harley riding retirees, said I impressed even them at the final tests.

The thirty-second dead stop with no feet, in the figure 8 box, was probably my personal best.

(I've won slow races by blasting to the finish line, stopping dead one foot away, and waiting for everyone else to fail)

18. boomhower

boomhower

Buy a few year old 250 Ninja for $2k. Ride it for six months. If you want to move up you can sell it for $2k. Used examples keep their value pretty well assuming you don't lay it down.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Do what? Feel up somebody younger?:wow: