I thought we had an Archery subforum?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by collim1, Jul 19, 2019.

1. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Am I missing it?

I am contemplating a new toy. I want a longbow/flatbow. I haven’t shot much in several years, so I’m looking for 35-45 lbs of draw weight.

I can’t make up my mind between between the PSE Sequoia, Bear Montana, or the SAS Pioneer.

I’m late to the game to be prepared for this season, and have a lot of work to do before hunting season starts. It’s gonna be tough to get a trad bow tuned up with a string, silencers, and arrows that I like and shoot well. To save time I’m planning to buy a couple dozen arrows and at least two strings and see what shoots best and quietest.

I need new arrows for my compound bow as well. I have a lot of work to do to get in shooting shape before October.

Any additional suggestions or experience with the above mentioned bows would be appreciated.

2. Kith

Kith

do you currently have a bow?

practice draw and release. not dry fire.

just draw, hold three breaths, slowly release. never let go of the bow string. let the bow relax for three breaths, repeat.

if you have not shot much or in a while, you need to work the muscles. when your arms start to get tired be time for a break soon, push a little bit, then eat something protein and give it a few hours before doing it again.

every other day is best.

by the time you are ready to go use it you will be able to use it more effectively.

larry_minn and SGM_Brown like this.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Is 35 to 45 pounds for hunting? Deer?

I guess it is possible, just seems kinda light. What is your state's min? When you draw back, for your length, what weight will it be?

My brother had a 45 pound recurve. Shot like crap, seemed out of gas by time arrow got to targets. He never got a deer with it. I had a 35 pound recurve for target shooting (plinking) as a kid. First hunting bow was 55 pound compound, then a better 62 pound compound after that.

I'm not trying to harp on draw weight so much. Just my opinion you want the arrow to zip along getting to the target. For the deer I've killed in archery, I've never wanted a slower arrow getting there.

But maybe you want more challenge. I think bow hunting with a 60 pound compound is challenging enough for me :)

SGM_Brown likes this.
  4. collim1

I have a PSE compound that I have had for years......like twenty.

It’s a good shooting bow and is very accurate, but very dated compared to the new generation bows.

State law sets the minimum at 30 lbs for deer hunting.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  5. JeffR01

JeffR01

I have a Bear Montana in my bow rotation. With the correct arrows it's pretty quiet and I spent several seasons hunting with it.

If you're looking to stay around the Montana's price range, I think Martin also makes a longbow that you may want to check out. Otherwise, there are a lot of different manufacturers and styles at a variety of price points. My current go-to hunting longbows are a Dryad ILF riser with longbow limbs and a custom Mohawk.

Since you probably don't want to wait on a custom, I'd check out 3Rivers Archery (www.3riversarchery.com) - they can probably set you up with everything you need.

Have you shot trad before? Do you know what you're getting in to? Just FYI - standard carbon arrows are often too light to function properly out of traditional bows, especially if you're shooting off the shelf. If you're going to use carbons, I suggest getting weight tubes and making them yourself. You'll get much better performance with aluminum or wood.

6. elkhart

elkhart

You have enough time! I had the Montana, thought it shot a little rough for me. But my draw length is pretty short, 26.5" and the bow is designed more for a 28" draw.

You are fine with 35-45 pounds of draw weight as long as it's what the bow pulls at your draw length and you match it to the right arrow. So if the bow draws 35#@28" and you have a 27" draw, it's only going to be about 31# at your draw length.

With a lighter weight bow, go for a slightly heavier arrow with a two bladed broadhead. The mass and low drag of the two blade will easily zip the arrow through a deer with a 35-45 pound bow. Light arrows and multi blades - especially mechanical blades- are just asking for trouble.

Use a 5 inch feather on your arrows, makes it easier to tune. The cost is a very small loss of arrow speed (again, use heavier arrows to compensate), and a slightly noisier arrow.

Check out the used market, you can get a great deal on some very nice bows. If you are near Coudersport, PA, definitely go to the Traditional Archery shoot. It's happening next weekend, July 25-28, 2019. The vendors will let you try a bow before buying, the expert advice is priceless, and the 3D shoots are fantastic.

Good luck with things, keep us posted!

Detectorist and collim1 like this.
  7. collim1

I think I am going to order the Bear Montana in 40 or 45 pound draw weight.

I still don’t know what arrows I want to shoot. The only bow shop in town is excellent, when it comes to modern compound bows. They don’t do any traditional bows so I can’t count on them to help me get some arrows setup for a long bow. Heck, a couple years ago o went in to get some arrows for my old compound and they didn’t even have any Easton xx75’s. Apparently everything shoots carbon arrows now. My older compound didn’t shoot the carbon arrows well. They didn’t appear to be the right spine, and they didn’t hit the target square.

Probably going to take a little trial and error with spine and point weight before I get it right.

8. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

You are kinda late for the Hunger Games craze. ;)

I have not seen a long bow used in decades. ( other then plays). Recurve and of course compound... I really liked recurve bows till @1980. That's when I discovered compound.

Adjustable weight, length, low stress holding for shot. Start lower weight, few weeks later crank it up.

9. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

The archery forum was deleted to make space for more advertisement.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  10. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I just got a 66" Omega Original from Kegan McCabe. Not the prettiest bow I've owned (I ordered a plain jane with an Ipe riser) but, man o man, she's a shooter.
    :faint:

11. elkhart

elkhart

The carbon will shoot fine out of your Montana, if it's matched correctly. But you will need to add weight somehow with inserts and a heavier broadhead.

I recommend ordering wood arrows from Three Rivers. Call them up, they can help you put together the right arrow. It will save you a whole lot of angst! The bottom line is almost any bow will work, it's the arrow that has to be right.

12. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

If you want to try something very, very old school, check out Kult of Athena and their selection of Mygar/Hungarian bows.

Modern material repros of the short fast horse bows Ghengis Khan used to almost conquer the world.

55 pounder ought to do just fine on deer sized game.

Just a thought.

I've had the same 55 pound Hoyt Pro Hunter take down recurve for couple of decades. Smooth shooting and accurate and I MUCH prefer it to compound and cam bows.

13. collim1

Haha. If only I was a thirteen year old girl.

I have shot compound my entire life. Shot some recurve some when I was younger.

Just looking for a new challenge and something new to tinker with. I have become bored again with shooting firearms.

Next year I may buy a new compound. The thought of shooting over 300fps is mind boggling. I want my boy to bowhunt, which means I need to get back into it before he gets old enough to start learning himself.

My old compound is a real tack driver, but it’s not worth spending $100 to restring a twenty year old compound that shoots ~220fps or maybe less.

14. collim1

I see that a lot of people are shooting carbon nowadays. When I was last into bow hunting the Easton xx75 still ruled the day. Those were some good shooting and durable arrows and shot well out of most any bow with only minor tuning to the weight of the head.

I am planning to shoot wood. I always wanted to shoot a deer with a two blade broadhead and a wood arrow.

elkhart likes this.
  15. elkhart

elkhart

But I'll bet you killed a few deer with that old compound, and you could do it again. But on the other hand, man oh man do I know how much fun it is to get a new bow! Robin Hood would be appalled if he saw all the archery stuff I've accumulated!

16. collim1

I have actually never killed an antlered buck with a bow. Seen many that never gave me a shot I was comfortable taking.

My goal this year is to tag a nice fat doe with a traditional bow, wood arrow, and two blade broadhead.

And yes, the new bows are incredible. I shot a friend’s new bow last year and it was unbelievable how fast and quiet it was with virtually no hand shock felt.

But, a new bow is no longer a $500 prospect. They are in the $1000-1500 range, plus arrows and accessories. And carbon arrows are double the cost of aluminum.

If I commit to bow hunting this year I will probably treat myself to a new bow next year. But bow season in my area is a hot, sweaty, mosquito riddled affair. Usually I only hunt a handful of times late in the season.

17. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

no BANG no fun

18. collim1

Shot a friend’s 55lb recurve this evening. It’s 55lbs at 28” so at 29.5” I was probably pulling a few pounds more. I could pull it and shoot it, but it’s more weight than I want. I want to be able to shoot 20+ arrows at a time without fatigue.

I think 40 lbs will be about right. Still haven’t made my mind up. I have the Montana, Sequoia and Pioneer in my shopping cart. Just have to make a final decision.

19. collim1

I ordered the Southland Archery Pioneer Longbow with a 40lb draw weight.

It’s a cheaper bow, but I expect to outgrow the 40lb draw weight relatively quickly.

When I’m ready for a 50-55lb draw weight I’ll order the Bear Montana. Or maybe even a Martin Savannah.

The local hunting shop pro sells compounds almost exclusively, but the pro shoots traditional himself and is more than willing to help me tune some arrows for the longbow. At an exorbitant price I’m sure, but I need some help getting started.

20. collim1

The Pioneer longbow arrived this morning.

It looks great. I don’t have a bow stringer yet, but I made one from paracord and a piece of scrap leather. It worked ok, but I plan to get a proper stringer ASAP.

I waxed the string and adjusted the brace height to the recommended 7”. I even loosed a few of the aluminum arrows I shoot from my compound bow.

They flew a little wonky, but it gave me a feel for the bow. I can’t wait to get some proper arrows and start shooting.

I’m planning to go to the archery shop tomorrow afternoon and get setup.

I will post some pics and opinions on it later after I get a chance to shoot it some.