close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think Ruger plastic revolver might be bad for CWP

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Manzoli7, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Manzoli7

Manzoli7

I rented a Ruger Plastic 38 revolver and fired it with 38 SPL FMJ. I thought the recoil felt like it was more than shooting a 125 grain 1,450 FPS load out of a K frame 4 inch metal revolver. It was also more felt recoil than a 44mag fired out of a Ruger Red Hawk. I had trouble shooting it accuratley.
    I know some people love them and can shoot them well. However if anyone is thinking of getting one you should relize the felt recoil is more than a snub 38 airweight aluminum frame. I do not think it is a gun that people would enjoy putting 100 rounds through at the range. After 25 rounds I had enough. Holding it my hand it seemed like it weighs less than half of what a Glock 26 is. However I have not looked up the specs so that is just a guess.

I wonder if someone will eventually make aplastic 44 magnum snub nose or a plastic derringer in 454 casul with a grip about as big as your thumb. Taurus has a ploymer version of the judge now. I have never fired a judge but assumed the metal one would probably recoil like a normal 45 long colt.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

There are guns to be shot a lot and there are guns to be shot very little and carried a lot.

In a defensive situation you will not feel the recoil.

If you wanted a target gun that you wanted to put 1000 rounds through a month, that was not the gun to buy.

Go look at some of the 2-1/2" barrel .357 and shoot them with full power ammo. Same thing, they're made to be carried a lot and shot only a little.

3. Manzoli7

Manzoli7

I know but I still thought I would let people know so they can make an informed choice. That is also why I rented one to try it before I bought it. I have a steel taurus 605 -5 shot 357 snub and I like shooting it with 38s better than the rugger. I know the rugger could conceal better in a pocket. My 605 hides well in an IWB or smart carry. I have also rented an airwieght aluminum frame S&W Snub. I liked shooting it less tahn the 605 but more than the plastic revolver.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

No, I don't think that is true (at least not in any meaningful way) :)

What basis do you have for your statement? Both of those 2 are small, lightweight guns around 13 to 15 ounces.

I've shot them both side by side. While I personally like the S&W better, any difference in recoil is more likely due to different rounds you may have shot through them.

There might be some slightest bit of difference, but not enough to worry about between those 2 for making choices.

5. chubbs47

chubbs47

I really like the gun and rented one also. I thought the trigger was great and the recoil was not bad. I took my fiancé, who is extremely recoil sensitive, and she thought it wasn't bad. The only gun she likes to shoot is the buckmark, and all the other guns she has tried so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

A buddy of mine wants a .454 in a 1.5" barrel for CCW. I told him to get wrist braces.

7. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Nor will will you practice much in a training situation. I had a same weight, 12 oz 340PD, that was BRUTAL to fire with almost anything. It's now gone and I will stick to my 649, and 60.

8. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I own both a S&W 342 (Scandium frame) and a 642 .38 Special revolvers and a newly acquired Ruger LCR. Fired +/- 100 rounds yesterday from the LCR. Mostly wadcutters with a mix of 158 grain semi-wadcutter hollow point +P and the 135 grain Speer +P hollow points. Much, much more pleasant to shoot then my 342 (a gun I really like a good deal). I suspect it's the rubber grips, but don't know for certain why this is so.

Anyway, as another poster mentioned, it's a "carry a lot and shoot a little bit" kind of handgun.

By the way, I found her to be quite accurate as well.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I own both the Ruger LCR and S&W 642. I alternate carry between them and a few others. I cannot tell a difference between the two revolvers when firing identical ammo.