I think my cat is depressed. (long)

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by pixel218, Jun 29, 2007.

1. pixel218

pixel218

I am worried that my cat Sebastian may be depressed. Previously, Sebastian was the most affectionate and demanding cat I've ever met. He would jump into your lap the instant you sat down, and constantly demanded more attention by crying all the time. He was actually pretty annoying. However, for the last few weeks, he has become very withdrawn. He spends all day sleeping in his chair with his back to me. He does not respond when I talk to him, and only lifts his head a bit when I pet him. He has stopped talking almost entirely. I am getting worried about him.

Some background: I have 2 cats, Sebastian, 4 years, and and Aragorn, 1.5 years. Both cats are indoor cats, but they occasionally get to go outside on a leash. They eat PetsMart Authority Hairball Control Light cat food, with occasional treats of tuna. We have had Sebastian for about a year and a half, he was adopted from my vets office. While we have had him, he has had no health problems other than lots of hairballs (both cats have long hair, and neither likes to be brushed). The only recent changes have to been to the work schedule. My fiance currently works about 60 hours a week, usually 3-11, and I work 30 hours plus summer school, so I am gone from 8-5 every day. In the past, it was always Aragorn who had problems with the schedule adjustments, and Sebastian acted as if he couldn't care less. Now it is almost the opposite.

My fiance is blaming himself for Sebastian's depression, because apparently Sebastian tries to cuddle with him while my fiance is busy trying to get ready for work, and so is sometimes brushed off. I make a point to give both cats attention as soon as I come home, and every time I happen to walk past them. While Aragorn actively seeks me out, Sebastian never leaves his chair expect to eat or use the litterbox. In the past he would always at least perk up and talk to me if I called him, if not outright come over. Now he doesn't even move. Either he is depressed or deaf. I'm not sure which.

Sorry thise is so long, but I am getting worried. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. pixel218

pixel218

Upon further experimentation, I think Sebastian is going deaf, not depressed. :shocked: (Well, he may be depressed too.) I stood in the office with a noisy ball (the kind with the bell inside) and watched him around the corner as I shook it. If he could see me shaking it, he came over to play, but if he couldn't see my hand, he didn't respond at all. He looked at Aragorn like "What are you doing?" when Aragorn kept running to me to get the ball. I think he actually can't hear it! Needless to say, I am calling the vet on Monday.

3. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Let us know how it goes. :hugs:

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I hope things are OK!

5. pixel218

pixel218

After doing some research about feline deafness online, I checked his ears for mites or wax, but they looked clean to me. I am not going to mess with them any more, as he really hates it. It was a struggle just to get him to let me shine a pen light into his ears. I am now more worried, because he displays quite a few of the symptoms: excessive sleeping, not waking unless touched (or I slam the door, etc.), not responding to my voice, etc. I wish this had occurred to me a few hours sooner, I could already have an appt. set up. However, I don't really think waiting a few days to see the vet is going to matter much to him, even if it is wearing on MY nerves. :worried:

In case anyone is wondering, Sebastian is the black and white Tuxedo kitty in my avatar, and Aragorn is the Maine Coon tiger.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If it is deafness, kitty should still live a long happy life so long as you don't let him out!

Our youngest, Itty Bitty, brought earmites in. Only the fluffball, Fred, got them. We never saw any on her or Fred but he kept getting sadder and more depressed. She was getting older by then and since Fred had simply swooned over her and adopted her as his little shadow/baby/responsibility we thought he was just depressed because she was pulling away from him. We kept checking him and he never showed anything. He didn't eat a lot but he snacked all the time. He has always been a snacker so this wasn't alarming. Finally, we discovered the mites! As soon as we got them under control, Fred was back to chasing his kitten, loving his kitten and no longer depressed.

7. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

You may want to see a vet with this one.

8. pixel218

pixel218

Sebastian is going to the vet on Thursday afternoon. I will update this when I find out more.

9. pixel218

pixel218

Well, we are back from the vet. Sebastian has no mites, no ear infections, is a good weight, and looks completely healthy. They are running a blood panel, and the results should be in tomorrow, Saturday at the latest. He is too young for age-related hearing loss, and the vet said that if the blood panel doesn't turn up anything, then it is most likely genetic.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

:sad:

Maybe it is genetic and not a sign of something bad. :hugs:

11. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

It is good that you got him to the vet for a blood screen and general check up. Why do cats sleep more when they go deaf ? Why do they withdraw and seem depressed ?

My cat buster (in my avatar) has recently gotten very quiet and depressed in the last two days. He is usually a complete pig about eating and recently isn't eating much and is acting very different. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow.

12. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Pixel........

let us know what you find out on the blood panels........

the world needs more caring pet owners like you!!! He is lucky you are in his life!!! :thumbsup: :hugs:

13. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I'm betting nothing is wrong with your kitty. I've had cats all my 55 years and I have seen cats have mood changes and be super afectionate and then sort of aloof for several months, then they come back around. Being available for the cat and paying attention to him is consistent with parenting/rearing your pet. Tell the girlfriend to pay him some attention in the morning as well. A minute or so of smoozing with kitty is often all they need to be reassured. I had a deaf cat at one time also, and he was a big talker...

14. pixel218

pixel218

Well, I finally got the test results back. Sebastian has slightly high levels of lymphocytes (sp?), a type of white blood cell. The norm is 8,000, and his are at 10,089. The vet said increased levels can be indicators of cancer, but his are only slightly elevated, so the chance of cancer is very small. She does want him to have them checked again at the end of the month though, just to be sure. Other than that, he is completely fine. She said it was either behavioral or genetic. Both my fiance and I have been spending more time with him, and it seems to have helped. He is sleeping less and asking for attention more, so probably he was just feeling ignored. I'm just glad nothing is actually wrong with him. :banana: