close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think I've decided on a press to begin.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by emtjr928, Mar 18, 2012.

1. emtjr928

emtjr928

First off, a thank you to all those who have contributed to the knowledge base of GT. I have a G23, my son in law (leo) carries a G27 as a backup and my daughter shoots a 9mm (not Glock).:faint:
    We all would like to shoot more so I have been researching reloading for 9mm and 40 s&w. I think I have decided to get a LCT set up from Kempf since I cannot foresee ever loading rifle. Does that seem like a reasonable way to start? I am handy and mechanically inclined so with the right manuals and patience to start I should be OK. These will be range loads only either fmj or plated.
    Thanks for your feedback in advance.
    Ed

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Sounds like a great set up for your purposes. Should you ever decide to load rifle, you can still use that as a single stage.

3. RustyFN

RustyFN

The Lee classic turret is a great press. Easy to use and set up. I load pistol and rifle on mine.

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

You do understand, however, that you're joining the red team - right?

[​IMG]

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I have no doubt that the LCT will be adequate for some but...

You should really say something about the quantity you intend to load per month and per sitting.

Have you watched the various videos for the LCT? Four handle strokes plus a little diddling around with the primer mechanism in addition to case feeding makes reloading somewhat slower than with other progressive presses.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6OS0LoRPE"]Lee Classic Turret Press in Action - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a fellow working a Dillon 550B. He does NOT have the hand motions down to an art. In fact, he stumbles quite a bit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrvZ0MLkwI"]Reloading .223 5.56 on Dillon 550b 400 rounds an hour - YouTube[/ame]

The LCT and its caliber conversions are a lot less costly than the 550B. So is its production rate. It really gets down to time spent reloading.

The LCT is pretty popular with some of the folks on this forum and the Kempf version is most favored. But the volume reloaders are more likely to be using Dillon 550Bs, XL 650s or (on the very expensive end) the 1050s.

So, how much do you intend to shoot?

Richard

6. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

The LCT is a good way to dip your toes in the reloading pool for very little cash.

Almost everyone who keeps reloading ends up upgrading at some point.

7. emtjr928

emtjr928

F106 Fan, I have watched numerous videos comparing Lee, Dillon, RCBS and others. The LCT is a little fiddley to operate and I do not like the four stroke, however right now I can't justify almost twice the cost for a similar Dillon setup. Currently have more time than money. lol
    If the shooting volume gets too high in the future to comfortably handle with the LCT then I will have a decision to make.

8. paragon1

paragon1

I can do 200 rounds of 9mm per hour on my Lee Classic pretty easy. The primer feed to me is more of a hindrance than the 4 stroke. I have gotten to where I resize/deprime/prime single stage for about 500-1000 cases, and then switch to indexing to finish the cartridge. It wastes a stroke, but you just have to shortstroke it to turn the turret.

I am about to experiment with a bullet drop die, and get a seperate turret to mount all my resizing dies.

It's very easy to set up and get consistent die sets. I really like to see the powder drop on each casing. Gives me a little piece of mind.

I have an uncle who uses a Dillon progressive. (I have yet to see it) He loads a huge amount, but has issues with squib loads, and under powered loads.

9. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

The LCT is nice because you can set up your dies and just take out the entire head for storage so they'll stay set up for the next time you want to reload. You can also get extra heads and set up many different sets of dies which makes it easy to change calibers quickly. Other then that it's pretty much like a single stage press in that you'll need to do all of one step then move to the next until you've got everything loaded.
    I've got a little single stage RCBS Partner Press that I've had for 20+ years, loaded everything you can think of on it and it's still going strong. I don't shoot competition so I don't need to crank out 500 rounds an hour. I normally take my time and load up a couple hundred in an afternoon, it's just another hobby that I enjoy doing and it save me a lot of money in the process.
    Anyway, enjoy reloading, it's a great hobby to get into.

10. emtjr928

emtjr928

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll need to finish my research into components for 9mm and 40 s&w target/GSSF loads. Btw I also see a Glock 9mm in my future if the tea leaves stay put. Any recommendations concerning one powder to do both?

11. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Unique, WSF, W231 (fast burner) will work in both.

12. FLSlim

FLSlim

PCJim stole my thunder on powders. Those are the ones I lean toward (actually I use only WSF in the 40), plus those three run fine in 45 acp.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  13. dkf

dkf

I really like my LCT. You'll just may have to use it as single stage for longer rifle cartridges if you ever decide to load rifle. Not a big deal.

Power pistol will work well for .380, 9mm, 10mm, .40, .357sig and etc. Thats what I'm using. It is a flashy powder so if you shoot indoors you may not like that.

14. dcs21sf

dcs21sf

I joined "Team Red" recently. I like my Classic Turret Press. I just shot my first batch at the Steel Challenge today.

Two issues come up from time to time. Sometimes the old primer won't quit fall out when de-priming. When that happens the primer is hanging down and won't slide out of the shell holder. I figured out that I just need to pull the shell holder with the casing and then drive the primer the rest of the way out with a small punch. This might be common, I don't know; I'm new.

The other thing is sometimes I drop the primer on the floor with using the Lee Safety Primer. I bet I haven't dropped less than 6 primers out of a hundred. I have gotten to where I just put my hand under there and catch it. I can't tell if it is seated in the primmer holder or not until it falls or doesn't fall. Maybe with practice

I went with WSF for 9mm. I seems fine, but, I have no frame of reference.

Attached Files:

15. emtjr928

emtjr928

The two rounds that I will be trying to replicate first are similar to AA 147 gr 9mm minor power and AA 180 gr 40 s&w minor power.

16. dkf

dkf

Take a look at this thread for the safety prime and look at the attached pdf file.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349351

As for the stuck primer when decapping maybe set the decapping pin down further.:dunno:

17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

18. dcs21sf

dcs21sf

Thanks for the info. I will give all that a go when I set up again.

My decapping pin was up one time. I don't know why. I moved it down to flush but still have the occasional issue. I'll try moving it down beyond flush.

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I can't believe any of you have addressed this bull hockey.

Dude.... 50,000 9mm rounds in the last 2.5 years, and not the first squib or "under powered" load. Most of that was on a 550B, but the last 5k or so has been a 650. The powder measures on these things are VERY consistent throw-to-throw. I have two other buddies who also shoot a lot, both using Dillon presses and no squibs or anything.

It's *possible* he's using a powder (like a stick powder?) that doesn't meter well, that's about it.

OR, he's using a 550B and doesn't put enough attention to quality in his reloading. If so, shame on him. But you can eyeball EACH AND EVERY case for powder drop (we're talking pistol here, right?), just as you do with yours.

20. dkf

dkf

Looks like your using Lee dies from the picture. I set my decapping pins as to where they hang down below the bottom of the die quite a bit. Just make sure the large diameter of the decapping pin doesn't hit the bottom of the cartridge and the sizing die sizes the entire length. Make sure you tighten the nut that holds the decapping pin a good bit as they take a good bit of tighten to grip well. The deccapping pin is designed to push up if something hard is hit (like missing the flash hole) but it should not kick up really easy.