Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some googling and have found some nice bits. Lots of uppers, few actual rifles.

Daniel Defense, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat and a few others all had stuff. Wilson is just waaaay overpriced for me. I was looking at about $1200, maybe $1000.

Anywhere else you folks think I should look?

·
NRA Life Member
13,392 Posts
I have built two 6.8 uppers using PSA chrome lined hammer forged barrels and one using a Noveske SS Recon barrel (its a Pac Nor barrel). Honestly, the Noveske barrel came with a pinned gas block which was nice. But the PSA barrels have outshot the Noveske with any commercial ammo I've tried and my reloads. I sold the Noveske gun mainly because I didn't like all the additional weight in the barrel. It was no slouch as a shooter. I was just surprised the lighter profile chrome lined barrels shot better. Many PSA barrels are made by FN...

If it were me I'd buy a barrel and upper and a free float rail and build it myself. You can buy a 6.8 bolt from Stag (same bolt Noveske uses) for $60 or a whole BCG for more. But a 6.8 bolt will work with your 5.56 Carrier no problem. You can catch the barrel on sale from PSA for less than $200 usually and an upper is around $100. Add a charging handle, sights, and depending on your druthers a rail ~$200? And you can have a complete upper for maybe $700 or so sans sights. You can also just go buy a complete Stag 6.8 upper in M4 configuration for something like $550 and you'll probably never wear the thing out...

YMMV

Here's one of the 6.8's I built last year....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!

I guess I should say I'm looking for a low profile gas block. Co-Witness is nice, but I'd just prefer nothing in the way.

·
NRA Life Member
13,392 Posts
Thanks for the input!

I guess I should say I'm looking for a low profile gas block. Co-Witness is nice, but I'd just prefer nothing in the way.

The gun above has a low profile gas block.

I've played with a bunch of reloads for this gun and it really likes Nosler 90 grain Accubonds which I can push just beyond 2900 fps in that 16" barrel with a healthy dose of Accurate Arms 2200. No pressure signs and the gun has functioned perfectly since I built it.

It will put 10 shots into just under an inch!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Apologies - the picture wasn't up when I read your reply.

That rifle looks perfect - though I think I'd go for all black rather than FDE.

If you don't mind, what did that set you back?

EDIT: Also, have you tried Underwood's ammo in it?

http://www.underwoodammo.com/68mmremingtonspc110grainv-maxboxof50.aspx

That's way too expensive for plinking, but I use their ammo in my G29 and M1 and LOVE it.

·
NRA Life Member
13,392 Posts
Apologies - the picture wasn't up when I read your reply.

That rifle looks perfect - though I think I'd go for all black rather than FDE.

If you don't mind, what did that set you back?

EDIT: Also, have you tried Underwood's ammo in it?

http://www.underwoodammo.com/68mmremingtonspc110grainv-maxboxof50.aspx

That's way too expensive for plinking, but I use their ammo in my G29 and M1 and LOVE it.
Not counting the glass/mount and mapul sights or the magazine I have right at $1400 in the gun. Its got a Giessele SSA trigger, Noveske NSR rail. PSA lightweight barrel with a Surefire flash hider

·
Premium Member
42,182 Posts
Damn nicely equipped 6.8 Bird! :wow:

What chamber does PSA use? SPCII?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Been doing some googling and have found some nice bits. Lots of uppers, few actual rifles.

Daniel Defense, Bison Armory, Wilson Combat and a few others all had stuff. Wilson is just waaaay overpriced for me. I was looking at about $1200, maybe $1000.

Anywhere else you folks think I should look?
.25-45 sharps.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to mention, I'd want one that's gas piston, not DI.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see that happening with your $1200.00 or less budget.
Ugh...

Afraid that was the case. Cleaning is the most hated part of owning a weapon for me. The less I have to do, the better. Hated having to pull the bolt apart and get at all that damn carbon.

·
NRA Life member
725 Posts
Ugh...

Afraid that was the case. Cleaning is the most hated part of owning a weapon for me. The less I have to do, the better. Hated having to pull the bolt apart and get at all that damn carbon.
Cleaning an AR is very easy........you should be able to get into a 6.8 for right around $1200. Stag or PSA are both great options.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
The piston setup adds bulk to the gas block area, limiting your options for free float tubes, and adds $300 - $500 to the cost of the build. PSA was running a special just a couple days ago, 6.8 AR kit (you put it together) for $500. They have already sold out. They were DI guns with non free-float hand-guards so you would have had to add a piston conversion and a free float tube, which would have put you right at the top of your budget. So you might be able to do it and stay in budget...but only if you score a good deal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I know I said my budget was about $1200. That's what I was hoping to spend, but I'm ok with spending a little more.

That's why I shot off an e-mail to the Robinson Arms people about the XCR-L in 6.8. Reading up on it, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. It's not an AR retrofitted with a gas piston, rather built from the ground up with the piston in mind.

So, we'll see what they have to say. :) I'm assuming the 16" is about $1600.

EDIT: Holy **** - nevermind. I never went to their homepage, just the Google page with the weapon. According to the homepage, price is $1995 for the XCR-L! Yikes. Lot more than I was looking to spend...

·
NRA Life Member
13,392 Posts
I know I said my budget was about $1200. That's what I was hoping to spend, but I'm ok with spending a little more.

That's why I shot off an e-mail to the Robinson Arms people about the XCR-L in 6.8. Reading up on it, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. It's not an AR retrofitted with a gas piston, rather built from the ground up with the piston in mind.

So, we'll see what they have to say. :) I'm assuming the 16" is about $1600.

EDIT: Holy **** - nevermind. I never went to their homepage, just the Google page with the weapon. According to the homepage, price is $1995 for the XCR-L! Yikes. Lot more than I was looking to spend...

You could put together a gun like mine for a little less with very little difference in performance.

For Example--you could drop the Noveske rail and use a Troy rail and save $100. You could use a standard A2 flash hider instead of a $120 SF hider and save $100. You could use a different buttstock--that UBR is a $250 option!

So you could get something functionally very close to mine and still have a sweet Giessele SSA trigger for around $800.

Also, trust me...there's no reason to go gas piston on this gun. NOBODY is going to head to the range and dump a couple hundred SPC rounds down range. Its too dang expensive. They don't get any dirtier than a 5.56. Besides, a gas piston upper alone will run you more than $1,000

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ugh...

Check out FireClean. Really does help the gunk from accumulating. Works like a champ!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
722 Posts
I built a PSA lower with SSA trigger and upper was PSA SS 18" upper and changed to FF gas block and Hogue OM 15" fore end. Upper were on sale a few years ago for $279.
Shoots great. I use it for hunting. I have shot alot of different ammo. Always shoots.

Brother bought one of the XCR's when they first came out and has sent it back once then gave to me to try and fix.
He supplied ammo and i shot it alot. Nice, but gave lots of problems early on. Picky about mags. Heavy. Had to modify all the feed ramps.
Had lots of stuck cartridges causing jams. He really got upset because all the money he spent for a piston rifle and had told me DI's were not reliable(he read on web):whistling:.
My PSA has never had an issue. Lots of rounds.
The SS upper really cleans up easy.
Those pistons are just as nasty.
You can find my earlier post asking about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts