I think I just bought a new camera...

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by mhambi, Mar 26, 2007.

1. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

:shocked:

well, *new* to me...

I'm saving up for a D200 but kids and a house building project are making that difficult. On occasion just for fun (torture) I'll check ebay and places for cameras-- Digital and Large Format. Well, a couple of days ago I see that a local seller has just ended an auction with zero bids for something I wouldn't mind having. So I emailed him and made him an offer... I hope to pick it up tomorrow.

:banana:

(stock image)
    [​IMG]

Pacemaker Crown Graphic 4 X 5 Large Format Camera

135MM Graflex Optar f/4.7 No. G17014 (X) synchromatic made by Wollensak f/ 4.7, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, 32.
    Graflex Top Mounted Rangefinder.
    Polaroid 545 Land Film Holder

I guess the D200 will have to wait a little longer.

Oh, and I guess I better start reading up on how to operate one of these classics!

Anybody shoot LF here? :wavey:

2. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

WOW, classic!

Large format is the ultimate in image quality, enjoy it.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

4. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

But it's not digital????? Congrats on the purchase and I'm sure you will capture many great memories with that camera. Long live film. :)

5. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Well, for better or worse, it's mine. It's a little rough around the edges right now. Lens appears fine - no scratching and whatnot. I'm starting a 'deep clean' tonight - I'll post an update/pics later.

:wavey:

6. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

7. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Will you be able to get film for it ? If so, where ?

8. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Two local stores still carry a small selection, and there's always the web.

Started cleaning last night. Disassembled the rangefinder and got all the gunk off/out. Tiny light bulb still works. But I think these two batteries have outlived their usefulness...

[​IMG]

shutter not being very reliable at speeds below 1/10....that will take some work.

9. 40SX

40SX

where do you put the camera card? Ya, mostly Sinar and Columet but I do own a couple of Crown Graphics.

Dennis

10. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

:thumbsup:

Keep in mind that I'm a complete beginner when it comes to LF. And before that I was a rank amateur in 35mm....rank meaning 'man he stinks'! :supergrin: But it'll be a lot of fun learning.

Have you ever had to deal with a 'sticky' shutter (graphex/rapax)? I've been reading on the web and it seems like the appropriately named 'retard gears' can get gummed up by old lubricants. The suggested course of action seems to be to soak them with lighter fluid, or a lighter fluid/graphite mix. Ever heard/done that?

11. 40SX

40SX

I love working in 4x5 and also medium format. The sluggishment on the longer speeds is very common in that type of lens, as a matter of fact it can and does happen at some point to any lens. It's usually dried-up lube and or weak springs. I had several of my Mamiya and Bronica 645 lenses back to get cleaned and lubed. Sometimes they will free themselves up if they are worked by going through all the speeds and firing the shutter. And most of the time speeds are affected all the way through the shutter speed range but are most noticable from 1/100 and slower. You can clean a box shutter by using lighter fluid but it will remove all lubricants in the escapement and those will have to be replaced. Sort of like running a firearm without lube. Also check to see if there is any oil on the blades, both shutter and aperature. This can be removed by unscrewing front and back lenses and very easily using a Q-tip with alcohol or lighter fluid, I usually use denatured alcohol.

I'm not sure if your lens has X sync but that can be fun with electronic flash if you chooose that route.

Good luck and let me know what you find.

Dennis

12. krinkov

krinkov Shutter Maniac

That's a really nice view cam! I wonder how you might go about processing sheet film. Where I am, it's difficult to find anyone who'll process roll film!

As to the shutter: mechanical shutters tend to get "sticky" below the 1/15th mark. Try dry-firing every so often. This sure cure the malady.

Let me show you my roll film camera:[​IMG][/IMG]

13. General Sherman

General Sherman

B&H has all the film you could ever want.

Black and white is about a buck a sheet and color twice that much.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Good choice on the camera.