close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think I have finally found "My" 45acp load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ilgunguygt, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

After loading with Bullseye, Power Pistol, 700x, Unique, and a whole slew of other powders I think I have finally settled upon a load for my .45s that shoots well in all of them, and terrifically in my RIA CS.

I purchased on a whim a month or two ago a 5lb jug of AA#2. It was real cheap and I was making a large order from powder valley. They were out of bullseye, so I went with AA#2, which I had wanted to try for a long time anyway.

I loaded up some test rounds, using a Missouri Bullet 230gr LRN dubbed "Softball" by Brad at Missouri Bullet. I have found this bullet to be a good shooting bullet in the past with almost any powder. I have been using Fed, Win, or Wolf primers, but as I have a ton of wolf primers I based this load on those. I am also using winchester brass.

Looking at the published data I found an average of 5.0gr starting with a 5.6gr max. Being the lee freak that I am I got out my Autodisk to see what I could throw in that range. One of the cavities threw a perfect 5.2gr. I figured I would load some of these, and go shoot 5 groups of 5 to see what they would do. I also loaded these to a OAL of 1.230" which is around .030" shorter than I usually load this bullet to, also on a whim.

What I found was astounding. All groups, fired from an 3.5" 1911 at 15 yards were great. Three of the 5 groups were one hole groups, the others were very tight. I know the gun is good, and I am a good shot with it, but this was also the very first time I ever tried the powder combo.

Generally speaking, I take at least three to four whacks at a good target load before I settle on it, changing powder charge, OAL, and sometimes even the primer used to get it where I want it. This was the first time ever that I have just put something together to find, at least what I feel, is perfection.

Needless to say, all of my 45 target loads will now be loaded with AA#2.

Oh, if anyone out there hasnt tried this powder before it makes a great 38/357 wadcutter powder also! I load in 357 cases a DEWC from Missouri Bullet over 3.0gr of it, and its a good shooting near zero recoil load.

ETA: I guess I better say up front, these were LRN, so the holes were nicely TORN. I am not claiming to have shot one hole .75" group or anything like that. Just one ragged hole type thing. Rather good for a compact 3.5" 1911 at 15 yards.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. RustyFN

RustyFN

Corious if you have tried WST and what you thought of it. I was a Titegroup nut ( used it in everything ) and loaded up some 45 with WST and hit the range yesterday. I won't be buying any more Titegroup.

3. sig2009

sig2009

The Lyman Manual lists 700X as the accuracy load in 230gn 45 acp. They are right and I love it!

4. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

5.0gr HP38 230gr FMJ is my go to 45 load.

5. kshutt

kshutt

Have you tried 5.3 gr with the same bullet? Me likey...........:cool:

6. ilgunguygt

Actually, I really like 700x. I used several pounds of it in 45acp, but it never worked well with my lee autodisk. Even with the micrometer charge bar. It was just too inconsistent for me. I really found that it was great as a powder for cowboy velocity 45acp with a 255gr LSWC. I still like it for that purpose, as the loads I attempted with the AA#2 were less than desireable results.
    Thats a good powder for sure!

I have not tried WST, but I have yet to hear someone say that they did not like it. It definately has its supporters.

7. TRIGGER_1

TRIGGER_1

Have you tried Win 231...............
    If so.....did you like it.................

8. chris in va

chris in va

HP-38 and W231 are for all practical purposes the same powder, if that answers your question Trigger.

My Lyman manual shows the most accurate powder for 230gr lead is 231 IIRC.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

+1 on the WST. I just loaded some 185 gr plated with Titegroup and WST and the WST seems cleaner, softer shooting and just as accurate.

10. torrejon224

torrejon224

A big +1 on AA#2. Bought a 8 pound keg last year and just love it, use it for all my 9mm and 45 loads and AA#9 for 357sig.

11. ilgunguygt

I have used HP38, which many claim is the same. I agree that it is a great powder.

I should say that I am not saying that this powder is better than any other, more than anything I am braggin about just randomly picking a winning charge weight, OAL, etc. I usually make at lest two to three changes to get an acceptable load, this one was dead on, righ off the bat.

I loaded 500 more of these today and took them out. Boy, the G21 loves them too. Even the XD likes them, though I still cant hit a damn thing with it.

12. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

6 grains of Win231 pushing 200gr SWC
    6.4 grains of Win 231 pushing 185gr XTP

for me

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  13. ilgunguygt

Whats so great about it is the price and low charge weight, IMO. I bought a 5lb jug for 65 bucks a while back. Its going to go a long way at the charge weights I use. So far I have this 45 load, a 3.0gr load with a DEWC in 357 brass, and I tried it in a 6.2gr charge under a 255gr lwcs in my blackhawk, but I just dont care for it. In the blackhawk I find it to be less than accurate and not clean burning. I still prefer 700x or bullseye in my light target loads for .45 colt.

14. leeward419

leeward419

Do you mean Accurate Arms #2?
    thanks

15. fredj338

fredj338

I just hate the way the 700x & 800x meter, terrible. AS Rusty & SJ have found, you have to go pretty far to beat WST in the 45acp. Boaringly accurate, clean burning w/ a good loft & load range. I've tried maybe 8-10 diff powders in the 45acp & WST can't be beat for target to std. vel. loads. If you want to go +P, then you need to step up a few pegs on the BR chart to Unique or WSF.
    THat load is only making less than 750fps in a 5" bbl.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  16. ilgunguygt

Yes sir, Accurate Arms #2. It was a powder I had my eye on after seeing its data in manuals, and decided when the price was right to go for it. Powder valley is still selling 5lb jugs for like 60 bucks I think it was.
    Thats what turned me off to it also. I went through a lot of it, and it shot great out of my 45 colt target loads and my 45acp pistols. I just couldnt deal with having to either weight every charge or deal with the innacuracy.

17. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

5.7 gr. W-231 under a hardcast 200 gr. LSWC. 908 fps and verrrrrry accurate.

18. Taroman

Taroman US Army Retired

200 grain flat point over 5.9 gr WW231 G30.

50 rounds, 10 yard range timed fire:

[​IMG]

19. ilgunguygt

NICE WORK! It certainly is a satisfying moment.

20. CaptJim

CaptJim Lifetime Member

My favorite target/match round for the .45 auto is a 200gr LSWC with a load of 4.0gr of Hodgdon Clays (NOT Universal Clays). Very clean burning and more accurate than I am.

According to the chart I consulted, the burn rate is between AA#2 and WST.

Clays has a steep pressure curve so to have a safety cushion I don't load past 4.0gr. with it.

The OP's experience with AA#2 sounds much like mine when I first used Clays, although I did start at a lower load (3.8gr) and move up.

Hodgdon HS6 is another very versitile powder I use in the 45. It is a little slower, fills the case more and has a more forgiving pressure curve.

Jim