I think I have been ruined. Rode a friends bike.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by TimP, Sep 16, 2005.

1. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Some of you may recall I talked about my buddy getting a 05 R1. Well we went for a ride last night( a lil over 3 hrs ), and just so happened to run into one of his riding buddies. He has a 2004 Yamaha FZ1. He offered to let me ride it a bit on the HWY and through a twisty section. Wow, that bike has some power! Its not a nimble, at least to me, as my bike is, but it has power. Coming out of the corner, or accelerating from 70-100, its just plain fast. The cruising position on his bike was a lil more upright than mine, but it just wasn't as "tossable" in the curves. The steering had a dampaner on it, and the steering just kinda felt dead. I like to feel a lil bit of the road, but with his you got no road feel through the bars. Then again this guy was riding with wife beater adn shorts on. Not the brightest

Then I rode my buddies R1...

WOW, that thing is a rocket. You can toss it in a turn, and it pulls you out sooo nicely. Its a very balanced bike. he did something to the suspension, so its not as bumpy as it was when he bought it. The riding position is more hunched over, but its not bad. I guess you just have to get used to it.

So as much as I love my YZF 600R, I wish it was a 1000, but i need to learn to exploit everybit of the 600 before I move up to a bigger bike. In the mean time I would like to have my suspension adjusted for me, a tech at the yamaha shop said he would do it for me. Then maybe add a power commander and a new inatake/exhaust.

Last night was my first ride with my new gear though. I went with Joe Rocket everything.
    JR GPX 2.0 Gloves
    JR Speedmaster jacket, red
    JR Alter Ego pants
    JR GPX boots
    Shoei RF-1000 Helment.

Yeah I know, I could have bought less expensive stuff, but i wanted to get good stuff and not have to replace it in 2 yrs. Better safe than sorry.

2. RBR

RBR

The FZ1 has a R1 motor (with carbs)in it retuned for sport-touring. They lost 20hp somewhere but 140hp at the crank isn't too shabby. It also weighs 520lbs wet and has handlebars so it's never going to feel flickable like a 600. As for the dampner your friend must have put that on. I have a 04 FZ1 and it's a great bike but wish it had a bit more torque down low.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Jap liter bikes are serious machines, no ifs ands or buts about it. The FZ1 is still a potent bike if you do your part. It's a good sporty street bike with touring potential.

4. VWglocker

VWglocker

TimP, how would you compare the power of the FZ1 to your 600? i'm thinking about getting off this cruiser sometime this winter and i've looked at both of those bikes. now i just need to ride them...

5. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

The FZ1 definatly has a power advantage on my 600R. I also think the power delivery is smoother on the FZ1, maybe because the FZ is fuel injected. Not really sure. My 600R is alot more fun in the twisties, partly because its made for twisties, and my bike weighs about 50lbs less than the FZ1. The FZ series is a sporty touring bike, the 600R is a sporty bike. I don't know if his FZ1 would be faster than mine, but i know it would be a close race.

We rode about 6 hours on the bikes the other week, and I was ready to get off mine. But it was 3 straight hours,lots of stop and go traffic. The FZ is much more comfy to cruise on, but the 600R is fun in the curves.

6. VWglocker

VWglocker

that sounds like what i need. my shadow750 is ok in the curves, but waaay to slow otherwise

the fz1 will be fuel inj. for 2006

7. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

I personaly woudl be just fine with the FZ6, but if you already have a 750, me thinks the FZ1 is what you need.

8. VWglocker

VWglocker

yeah, but my 750 is a little different than 750cc in a sportbike. and by different i mean much, much slower.

9. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

yeah your best bet is to ride them both. Those 600cc yamaha motors are putting out 120hp, the 1000 is putting out around 160hp I think. The new R1 LE is putting out 183hp.

Since I am a small guy, and a fairly new rider I think the 600R fits me well. At least for another yr or two.

10. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

;) My BMW K1200LT. Race bike.

None mas fina!

11. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

what planet are you on. Thats not a race bike. A nice tourer, but not a race bike.

12. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Once you've crossed over into the insanity realm of the 1000cc Japanese Superbikes........ NOTHING else even comes close.
    I'm just now really settling in to my ZX-10R, and this thing is freaky fast.
    [​IMG]

13. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

I was sooooo close to buying one of those last month I was starting to clear a spot in the garage for it... ;P I'm jealous.

But stupid common sense kicked in and I stayed with my '02 ZRX1200R, it's kind of fast and paid for. I should have a full Muzzy system on it by the end of the weekend if it shows up and some new braided lines soon with some new pads. I figure a few well spent $$ and I should have a fairly capable bike. Just re-did the bars to ZZR's, turned out pretty cool and they add a little sport to it.

[​IMG]

14. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

The 2006 FZ1
    -150hp fuel injected engine
    -aluminum alloy frame
    -redesigned exhaust
    -new colors
    -other things I probably don't know about
    -I don't think I will be able to live without one!!!!

15. VWglocker

VWglocker

i wonder if they will be hard to get