close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I think I found a bike?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by FatBob, Apr 24, 2006.

1. FatBob

FatBob

I was looking for the right bike, see thread HERE.

I've been looking, and I found a local biker (has a Harley for touring, and bought this for daily driver around town), whom has a 1993 Honda CBR F2 600cc for sale. The bike has no damage to the paint or plastic, and no mechanical problems, and is his current daily driver, and it runs very well. It will need a new rear tire, but not for a year or more(?). The only reason he's selling it is because his Harley lost 2nd gear, and he needs a new transmission before a big trip coming up.

The CBR has 30k miles on it, which from what I've read is okay. I've heard that you don't want something with too few miles nor something with too high miles. This seems to fall kind of right in the middle.

The asking price is $2,500. Does that sound good?

For what it's worth the bike is black, grey and red (factory paint), which he says is a more rare color combo for that bike/year.

Your thoughts?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I did some callings to a couple of my local shops and they all agree that ASSuming the bike is in SUPERB mechanical condition, they would pay at most $1,500 for that bike. You're talking about a 13-years-old bike with 30K miles here. And as far as the "rare" color scheme, I have yet heard of an F3 that's a collectible. There are a few Hondas that are collectible, but that ain't it.

For around twice that much you can get a 2000 GSXR600 with fairly low mileage, so go from there.

3. FatBob

FatBob

I appreciate you calling around for me! Truely above an beyond!

With all the looking I've been doing, it seems like that is the going price around here for a similar bike. I've seen some newer beat up bike for less, and I've some similar older bikes for more. I think what caught my eye, is this one is extremely well kept, and in VERY good condition.

I didn't mean to imply that the bike was a "collectable." The guy just stated that it was not a common color scheme for that bike/year. The color doesn't matter much to me, as long as I don't hate it.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I suppose the geography does matter. Here in SoCal, bikes are a dime a dozen but it may very well be different where you're at. If the bike is truly immaculate (it would be better if he could show proof of services & maintenance), I'd offer him $2000. $2500 is a lot of cash for a bike that old and with that many miles.

5. FatBob

FatBob

Thanks again! I will make a lower offer on the bike, and take it from there. I told him I'd come back tomorrow night (busy tonight with family stuff).

It sounds like bikes are a little more here, probably because they are not as common (Minnesota, the closest bike shop from me is 45 miles away). Anything newer (1998 - present) is at least $5000 or more. I've found a few for around $4,000 but they have all had either body damage or mechanical problems, and most had half-assed repair jobs, if any repair done at all.

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Not knowing where you live, I'd agree that it's a high price for a bike with that mileage. Don't fall for the rare paint color without something to back it up. Take that out of the equation.

Something about this deal, and I don't know what it is, makes me recommend you walk away.

Look regionally, or on Ebay. perhaps traveling a couple hundred miles may be a cost effective alternative.

7. FatBob

FatBob

UPDATE!

I decided to look a little more after the responses to the '93 CBR. Then last night my friend (whom is a bike mechanic) called me and said one of his buddies wanted to sell his bike, a 1997 Kawasaki ZX6R. He said it has some rash on the farings, but the rest of the bike was in great shape, and mechanicaly it was in excellent shape. And it has brand new tires front and rear.

So I went and looked at it, and it did indeed have some rash on the farings. It's kind of like, it looks good from 10 feet away, but a bit rough from 2-3 feet. Then I took it for a spin, and it was very nice, handled good, and plenty fast for me.

I offered the guy $2,000 and he {reluctantly} agreed (it was a bit less than his asking price). My buddy is going to meet up with me this weekend and walk me through the maintenance on this bike (I've had standards and dirtbikes before, but hey he offered!). So I'm happy.

ETA: This is not my actual bike, but here a pic of what mine looks like. The only difference is mine has an all RED tank and front fender, and it's all red up by the windshield. Oh yeah, and add some scratches!
    [​IMG]

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Scratches are no big deal if the vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition.

9. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

I sold my 1993 GSXR-600:W (water cooled, that was a big thing for that year) for $1,500.00 if that's any help.

My bike had been laid down from the previous owner though. The fairings were scratched and I re-painted them. Some pieces were broken out of the fairings but I patched it with a fiberglass kit.

Mechanically, the bike needed the carbs cleaning and balancing and would have greatly benefited from re-jetting; but I was lazy and fuel injection looked nicer. Everything else on the bike was fine.

10. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

As long as it is mechanically sound (as in not dangerous), you got a deal. At least you don't have to worry about scratching it ;)

11. FatBob

FatBob

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. The fairings are a little rough, but the rest of the bike is quite sound. I've ridden it to work the last two days, and a little touring around in between.

I figure if I get bored this fall/winter, I'll take the fairings off and refinish them. But I'm not going to do much, if anything, but ride it this summer.:)

I'd like to get a textile jacket, and have done some looking. Does anyone have any experience with the AGV Textile jackets?

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

No experience with AGV but it's a reputable manufacturer.

13. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

I watched a buddy of mine hit a deer a 80mph. He was wearing an AGV leather jacket(blue and white with a red GSXR logo on the back). The jacket held up, didn't even wear through to the armor. All of the seams held. The jacket was not able to be re-used though. IIRC his jacket was about $375.00.

Also, I would recommend against textile. The textile is nice when commuting because of stop and go traffic but there are issues with textile jackets.

When you go down in a textile jacket there is a lot of heat generated from the friction against the ground. The friction sometimes build up enough heat to reduce the strength of the jacket. The jacket then wears through and your skin hits the pavement. Because nylons etc are commonly used in textiles it also will sometimes melt into the flesh.

Perforated leather is the way to go for commuting IMO. I have an Alpinstarts TZ-1. It has kevlar fabric in the inside elbows to add flexibility. In the upper chest area there is perforated leather. The jacket works fine for me in traffic on 100+ days. Once you get going about 25mph the air gets forced in the holes and cools you down.

You'll pay more for leather but it's worth it.