GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I am too old to have been able to understand or really enjoy metal. It just seemed like a bunch of posers acting tough into microphones.

I was watching some Mary Spender vids and stumbled across this cover of one of my all time favorite songs by a very odd guy from Norway.

Most excellent take on the tune. Was kind of surprised to hear the eighth note triplets on the Dm B flat and C arpeggios in the solo instead of the sixteenth notes as played on the original which would go more with the metal feel, but OK. The banjo intro was nice.

Reactions: Haldor

·
Semper Paratus
27,991 Posts
Leo rocks. So talented. A lot of his covers are way better than the originals and funny even. I know a few people who aren't into the metal genre but really like his stuff though. The dude is killing' it.
Indeed , it’s great that the internet provides an outlet for these extremely talented people. Leo is talented and creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Indeed , it’s great that the internet provides an outlet for these extremely talented people. Leo is talented and creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And fun. His obvious joy at what he was doing played a part in winning me over.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Death Magnetic was pretty good, and their latest is decent, as well.
I think it was DM I listened to thinking it was mixed all wrong. Half the songs you can’t even hear the vocals.

But life is too short to listen to decent or pretty good music.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How old do you have to be, to be too old for metal? When metal started, people were getting drafted and sent to Vietnam, LBJ was president and Martin Luther King, Jr., was still alive. Heck, there are metal bands playing today that have been around since then: The Scorpions (1964), Judas Priest (1969) and the 1st name you think of for metal, Black Sabbath (1968), just retired 3 years ago.
Aren't you just the most miserable person on Glock talk Bren? Is there anything you don't find worthy of condemnation?

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I graduated from high school in the 70's. I attended my first Grand Funk Railroad concert in '72. Heart is one of my all time favorite bands. I have been blessed to attend 3 of their live performances. I was in band from 6th grade on, played keys, trombone, cello and electric bass. It isn't like I was unaware of metal, it just lost most of its appeal after puberty kicked in. And metal from the 70's has little to do with metal from the 2000s.

I have a good friend who is 15 years younger than me who was a major fan of Metallica. I know that millions of people love metal and I tried to appreciate it, I just never did. When growling became a thing I just lost patience with Metal and wrote it off as an aberation.

I am glad I saw Leo, because finally something about modern Metal reaches me on some level. If music can't do that, then I can't be bothered to give it my time. I am now willing to do that.

But did you seriously compare Nancy Wilson with this?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts