I swear I stopped at that stop sign... theoretically

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by metal, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Just sharing the wealth.

3. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I'm guessing the flaw has something to do with the officer's perception of motion. In order for the theory to work, the vehicle would still have to be in motion, therefore never stopped at the stop sign.

4. Morris

Morris CLM

Just because you have a doctorate doesn't necessarily mean you can tie your own shoes.

Wonder how that theory will work out when he T-bones a UCSD student after running another stop sign?

5. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

The suspect sneezed and hit the brakes hard.
    Did the officer notice a sharp dip in the front end?
    If at night, did the headlights dip?

I'm not a math/physics person but looking at the graph, it would seem the vehicle would have to accelerate at the same speed as deceleration. The short distance and the officer possibly stopping for a stop sign would seem insignificant in the theory.
    At 100 feet the officer would seem close enough to even notice shadows or sunlight glinting off the cars surface to beat the defense.

It seems more like a rolling stop.

Perpendicular is so much easier......just look at the wheel and see if it stops moving.

6. metal

metal

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I don't get the big deal. The crux of it is that the officer's view of his car while blocked exactly during the instant he was stopped. Why all the angular and linear physics crap? It's irrelevant.

8. merlynusn

merlynusn

hey, you have to give the guy credit. He put his money where his mouth was.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Wonder how it will work out for him when he meets a judge who isn't so lenient and equipped with such a good sense of humor. Many judges I know would have laughed at his paper and told him he should have spent his time reading the rules of evidence before he tried to defend himself with it. Then he'd have gotten the standard fine and court costs.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

He's an academic - almost everything he says is irrelevant. That's how they think.

11. Birddog9

Birddog9 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like it was an April fools joke. (note date in article)

12. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

Interesting to note when I went to the GNG section I lost my https:// secure connection... That makes sense to me

13. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

It was an April Fools joke.

Nevertheless, I expect to see it in court sometime soon. I can't wait to see the defendant's face when the judge or jury render their verdict.

14. lwt210

lwt210

I have already seen something similar.

Our town is ate up with engineers......I sometimes think everyone here is an engineer of some sort. Benefits of living next to a missle arsenal.

Anyway, tagged a guy with LIDAR for like 20+ over the limit. Lit him up, citation, done deal. He never presented any argument on the scene. History has shown me that those are the ones that show up in court.

He does so.....and I can already see the charts, graphs......huge dossier in his arm. They call us both to the stand, judge asks me for my testimony....I give it cut and dried, and the judge turns to him.

What follows is a dazzling performance of physics taught by someone that obviously knows his way around the subject. IIRC, his defense took the better part of 20 minutes. His main point was based on the fact that it was impossible for him to be going in the 70s and for me to start from a dead stop to go pull him over, us both stop, and not cover more distance than we did from where I was sitting.

He had the GVWR of both his car and my cruiser, he had scale drawings, printouts....he even had most of the specs of the LIDAR model I was running. Definitely did his homework.

The one fatal flaw he had was he had no idea what that little note I wrote on the cite relating to the distance I locked him in at. It was around a 1000 feet away.

1000 feet beyond his point where all his calculations were based on.

Judge looked at me and I explained, in layman's terms, how had I locked in on him at the last minute, then yes, the calculations would be accurate and it would be impossible to get him stopped that quick.

I went on to say that the defendant should have based his calculations off of the figure wrote on the notes part of the cite. I turned to the defendant and asked him if he would re-calculate the distance using the correct figure and then if he would enlighten us on the braking performance of the average car with almost 1000 feet of advanced warning......because that is when I estimated his radar detector alerted him.

I then turned to the judge and explained that the second lock I got on him was a bit slower and I noticed the detector at the point of contact.

The guy was stunned and refused to "run the numbers" again. The judge told him he was guilty and offered him an appeal bond to take it in front of the jury. He paid for it instead.

This was several years ago so my memory is not that great. We get that stuff a lot here in tech land.

15. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

:wow: Wow....

My defendant usually says "Well Your Honor, ah jes really don't wanna have them points on mah drivin' record."

16. scottydl

scottydl

Same here... Firefox advised "Untrusted Site" when I was trying to go to GNG. I opted to terminate the connection rather than accept the security risk. :whistling:

17. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

Security of sanity?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Morris

Morris CLM

Joke or not, I've had engineers, scientists and lawyers (shock! gasp!) try to argue at the stop about their superiority in education to my own. Of course, they don't seem to like it when I respond with a "Good! I need to OT!" when they tell me they will see me in court.