I still like Glocks but...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by akgunnut, Nov 1, 2010.

1. akgunnut

akgunnut

Okay so last week I took my new to me Sig P229 out to the range and I am more in love with this gun than any other handgun I've owned up to this point, including my trusty G19. I know that's a bold statement to make since I've carried that little 19 for almost four years now and I even thought about selling it but something tells me I shouldn't. Sigs are 200-400 dollars more expensive than Glocks but my P229 has me seriously wanting another Sig... a P226 or maybe a P220. After handling the P229 for a few days and then picking up the G19, it just feels odd.

Should I keep both guns or sell the G19 and get another Sig? Selling the Sig is out of the question!

The G19 is the only handgun I've managed to keep for longer than a year. :faint:

2. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

keep both.

my sig 229 is a far more quality gun than my g19, however the g19 beats it by a large measure in weight and maintenance which are 2 critical factors in determining a carry gun.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Good to hear you like the Sig. No way keep the G19, and save up for another Sig.

4. CMG

CMG

Life's too short to own pistols you don't really enjoy. :cool:

I'll give you $250 for that clearly inferior Glock. :supergrin:

5. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

6. bel970

bel970

keep the g19, buy older sigs. the quality difference between current production sig and older german sigs is as much or more so than between your g19 and 229. look for made in germany on the slide and the rolled and welded slides with separate pinned in breach face. sigs quality has been declining for about 5 years and in a free fall for the last 2.

I do have a custom shop p226 that is as nice as my older sigs, but not really worth the money I paid for it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. akgunnut

akgunnut

Thanks... I'll be on the look out for an older Sig P226.

8. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Keep both, I have two 229s, both are outstanding guns. I will definitely keep my G19.

9. matt c

matt c

you may find more joy with the P229 vs the P226...Lot of SIG guys like myself do. I was going to get a P229 to replace my P226 as I like it better, ended up preferring the sigpro over both so that is what I got. I would try shooting the other models before buying one. SIgs are too expensive to just go out an buy without trying first. IMO, no point owning a P226 if ya got a P229. Gotta shoot one to see if you feel the same way. And don't worry about exeter quality from new Sigs... the downhill is just internet hoopla from a bunch of internet folks that seem to not understand that sig has grown over 50% in the last several years. They had to expand their factory in Exeter to keep up with demand recently...and they sell way more guns so you tend to hear about more 'problems' than the old German variants that did not have an internet sounding board for owners to complain. Lots of newbs that can't seem to correctly lube a gun and other idiots out there talking smack with no experience at all. And over the last few months on SIG forums, nothing but super satisfied owners of their new SIG classic series pistol. Just like on these forums too.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  10. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

+1

NOTHING compares to Glock when it comes to these two factors!!!!

KEEP the 19 and save for another Sig.

Sigs are not my cup of tea, but for those that like them, ENJOY!!!!

TGG

11. etmccain

etmccain

i was thought Glock was the best thing ever until I got my hands on what is now MY P229....it fits my hand a lot better and I like the grip angle better....my next gun other than a new 1911 is going to be either a P226/P220 Dark Elite or a P239....and I'd like to check out one of those new P290's....that being said I still have both my Glock 19 and 23 and wouldn't dream of selling either.....best thing to do is keep your Glock and save for a new Sig, a Glock that you've got 4 years of familiarity with is too valuable to sell for a new gun in my opinion

12. KaPPaBaLL

KaPPaBaLL MemberScratcher

You're going to end up buying another G19 in the future if you get rid of it now anyway... Those words you can take to the grave. No pun intended..

13. nick425

nick425

14. nky1129

nky1129

I'm in the same boat as the OP. My G19 was my first gun, and is still my carry weapon. I love it. It just doesn't turn me on the way my P229 does. That having been said, I'll never sell the G19. I still love Glocks, and when it comes to all-around funtionality and durability, you can't beat the G19.

15. akgunnut

akgunnut

Thanks guys for knocking some sense into me!

The G19 stays.

16. CMG

CMG

Dang it!

How about $260? :supergrin:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  17. oldfort

oldfort

Steyr M9A1. Best of both worlds.

18. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

For the prices I see new Sigs going for you could buy HKs. Just saying. Not enough people look into them.

19. KaPPaBaLL

KaPPaBaLL MemberScratcher

Mine was proven unreliable.. The trigger kept sticking for some odd reason. Called Steyr USA and rep told me something about the striker being obstructed in the channel. Not sure if it was a common problem with these pistols but it seemed like he knew exactly what I was talking about before I indepthly described the problem. I ended up not looking into it and just sold it..

20. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

Good Decision ^^^......The `G19` would be looked at as *Gold one day in the near Future....`mark my words.....;)