Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad day. True Story.
I lease homes for private owners.
I have this indian owner who owns a bunch of houses, he insists on only section 8 applicants.
So I get this one applicant, single woman, Tawana, 3 kids. No last names needed.
I reviewed her income while looking across my desk at this human that looks about as bright as a tree stump.
She makes $9.15 cents an hour at Walmart. She gets $650 per month from Social Security for her son. She gets $400 a month in food stamps. She gets $8000 per year in tax "refunds" from EIC since she makes exactly the amount needed for a maximum return. She gets a $975 a month from HUD for Housing.

So all in all this lady CLEARS
$47,300 a year. Of which $32300 is taxpayor money.
Which is more than I make I am sad to admit.

I let my owner know I had an applicant and politely listened to Mr.Abid go on and on about how HUD people are the best people to lease to. This has been happening daily for weeks, with him checking how many HUD applicants have applied.
So today I said I personally did not agree with the program.
I knew I was pushing the boundaries, but I couldn't take it looking at this woman who had been sitting in front of me.
Was it jealousy? Anger? I guess both.

Mr. Abid told me he didn't personally care what I thought, it paid his bills and thought it a great program. He has been doing it for 10 years.
He uses the taxpayor money to buy more homes.

Pushing my boundaries even further, red in the face, not really caring at this point, I said I was sure he thought it a great program, but I don't have to like being robbed so he can make more money.
It just got worse and worse by emails.
I did end it with a smiley.
I Don't think that helped. Mr.Abid was pissed.

I guess a man's got to make a stand in things he believes in. But it would be nice to have a job. So now Tawana really is kicking my butt in income. Oh well, maybe it's time to go on the dole, it's working well for her.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, I don't think the Government gives a crap about single guys. That's why the women pump em out till the uterus drops.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Want to send me Mr. Abid's contact info? I am happy to lease out to section 8 renters in our properties as well as our investors/clients properties. It's a great way to get tax dollars back in your pocket.

Guess what? Your income was coming from his income from everyone's tax dollars, now it's not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Want to send me Mr. Abid's contact info? I am happy to lease out to section 8 renters in our properties as well as our investors/clients properties. It's a great way to get tax dollars back in your pocket.

Guess what? Your income was coming from his income from everyone's tax dollars, now it's not.
LOL. Good way to look at it... OP, there are times to keep your opinions to yourself, and that was today.

·
G-22-OD
817 Posts
LOL. Good way to look at it... OP, there are times to keep your opinions to yourself, and that was today.
Well I guess we'll have one more person taking OUR money since he lost his job today!

·
M&P
5,930 Posts
While I feel with the opinions of the OP, they are just that...feelings. And they are inconsequential in the doings of business.

Change the rules of the system, don't blame the individuals for taking advantage. That's human nature, that's what 'people' do.

·
Banned
19,326 Posts
She clears 33k in taxpayer money?

Holy schnikes. I've never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
So the GT consensus is it's okay to be a welfare queen, and to be a part of the overall probelms facing our society? :upeyes:

OP, you spoke the truth and in the long run you will sleep better at night. At least you can't be bought for 50k :thumbsup: (Although I agree with the sentiment here that your timing probably wasn't the best)

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Well, you were correct about Tawana making more than you! If you get fired, that margin just increased.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
My wife's mother(guess that'd make her my Mother in Law) lives in Phoenix, AZ., she's in her mid-'80's and needed some help to buy food. She went into Social Services(guess that's what it's called) to see if she could get food stamps. Sure she can, $16 bucks a Month. What a frickin' insult. She worked all her life, raised 3 kids alone and never ask anyone for any thing and they're going to give her $16 bucks a month. :upeyes:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Im with the OP, sometimes you just get so fed up with these "people." (people who live off the gov)
Theres a guy we deal with at work all the time, nice enough guy. He always carries a huge wad of cash in his pocket. I finally asked him where he gets all that $. He said from the gov. Said he gets his housing paid for with pleanty to spare, gets SS/disability, gets a food card:wow:. He thanked me and my partner for voting for "Bama":upeyes: (which we didnt) and said be sure to vote for him again.
At least he was honest about it i guess??

:steamed:Sometimes you just want to... well nevermind

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
The Section 8 program didn't appear out of thin air. It was designed as a privatization of public housing programs. It gives private citizens a good source of income and they hire their own workers, thus reducing the number of government workers.

Having said that, there are a lot of misc programs that quietly add up to a lot of taxpayer money.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I quit my job recently based on principal. I didn't agree with how they treated employees or customers, and don't want any connection with a business that treats people that way. Don't ever sell out on your beliefs and morals. People always justify why they work for a place they hate. It pays the bills, in your case taxes were going back in your pocket, you have a house note, etc. You are putting a price on your principals, and I don't think there is a price for that.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So you enjoy the fact you are raping taxpayors and are proud of it?
Wow.
This country is doomed with people like you my friend.:steamed:

·
Unreconstructed
10,067 Posts
Folks staying silent on stuff like this to get in on it and make a tax buck is why we have the kleptocratic system we have. You can't solve it at the ballot box when everyone's in on it. That's why we have to starve the beast. There's so darn much confiscated money out there, and so many people are in on it, from owner to tenant, that there's just no end to it.

1 - 20 of 482 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.