close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I should have known better

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Smashy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

I hopped on the Enfield to go for a ride a couple of days ago, and while I was out and about, I realized I hadn't been to the gun shop for a while. So I stopped by, 'just to have a look'. I should have known better. I came home with a 6 7/8" Mk II with a Hogue grip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't been to the range to shoot it for groups yet, but I decided to do a little plinking yesterday at my favorite shooting spot up in the hills...

[​IMG]

I was mostly shooting just to check reliability with various loads (and to have some fun and get the truck muddy), since I haven't had time to get out for a while. So I didn't bring any tools to adjust the rear sight. I'll do some accuracy testing after I've had time to take it apart and get it cleaned up. For now, I just ran a bore snake through it.

Accuracy was good, but reliability was only so-so, depending on the load. It doesn't seem to like hollow points. They kept snagging at the bottom of the feed ramp. The round nose loads fed just fine.

For accuracy, it didn't seem to like CCI Mini Mags or Sub Sonics. But it did great with Eley Club and Eley Sport. It was windy and raining, with some strong gusts at times, but with both Eley loads, I was sending tin cans flying and punching holes in small Christmas ornaments shooting off-hand at about 30 yards. Both loads fed reliably. It was shooting a bit high and left, but I just compensated since I didn't bring any tools to adjust the sight and it was still shooting great with these two loads.

One problem that concerned me is the last shot hold-open didn't always work. It failed to hold the bolt open around 10% of the time with a couple of magazines. My other Mk II doesn't have this problem, which is this one...

[​IMG]

I think it will be a nice little shooter once I get everything sorted out. I plan to have my gunsmith drill and tap it for a scope like the other one. But I have some questions. First, I recently stopped procrastinating and finally got myself a dremel. I've never polished a feed ramp before. What attachment do I use for this job? Will any polishing compound work?

Also, what exactly is a 'government' model?

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Really nice gun.

i had one way back in the day and loved it.

For accuracy, mine liked standard ammo, not super-sonic.

Try a bunch of different ammo, if you can find one that works 100%, there is no reason to modify the gun.

Also, make sure it is a Ruger magazine, not a knock off, also try a new Ruger mag. I'd do that before I touched it with a dremel.

If all else fails, the dremel would polish it nicely, I have used the cotton wheel and dremel polishing compound with great success on a few guns. Go slow, you can never put the metal back on, so be careful what you take off.

Good luck and keep us updated.

3. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

You need new mag springs. A total spring kit update would do that gun wonders. It turned my wifes MKII into a 100% gun, whereas before it would run about 70%. Throw in a new FP and extractor in also. Cheap upgrade with great results.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Looks great.

Congrats!

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Excellent find, Sith.

7. Smashy

Smashy

They're Ruger mags, but I don't know how old the springs are. I'll probably replace all the springs, including in the gun.

I know I know this, but I'm drawing a blank. What does FP stand for?

8. RLB

RLB

Nice pistol.
    Not sure what "Government" stands for.
    Great looking area where you were shooting.
    My mark II and mark III are picky when it comes to ammo.
    It could require a thorough cleaning and light oiling to resolve some of the issues.

9. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Good looking pics, Smashy. Nice Ruger, I had a Gov model like that a few years back, bought it new, and came with a factory test target, one ragged hole. Mine was ammo sensitive, but really a tackdriver with the copper washed Winchester 40 gr solids, their premium line. Congrats.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

I thought "government model" was used early on because the MKI mimicked the 1911 grip angle.

11. thornesguns

thornesguns

My father has one similar to that. had lots of problems at first but after being shot alot it now runs great. I just ordered him another one today, it has the 1911 grip angle and short slab side barrel. i'm sure the more you shoot yours the better it well get.

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

Firing .....................

13. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Quit teasing Berto (LOL). Firing Pin.

14. Smashy

Smashy

LOL! Brain fart, I guess. After posting that, I get in the car and it suddenly occurs to me... "Firing pin. Duh." :upeyes:

Too many things going through my head. I was on my way out the door for my daughter's 21st birthday party, which I just got back from. Too many details to keep track of and the simple things turn into the great mysteries of life. Like almost forgetting the birthday cake. :whistling:

15. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

The whole should have known better statement. Oh, how well I know it.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Verrrraaaa Nice!!!

Need to get rid of the Hogue grips for some nice wood grips though.

17. rfd339

rfd339

Congrats and nice shooting spot.

18. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

If I remember correctly, the Government Model MKII was used as a trainer, and introduced in the early 80's. They were held to certain accuracy standards, and had target crowned barrels, and I believe a different barrel twist. They also had laser aligned barrels, which was cutting edge technology at the time. So, the Gov. model was actually developed for the military, for use as a trainer and a general target pistol.

Smashy, does yours have the wide trigger? I remember mine having a wider trigger than a standard MKII.

19. Smashy

Smashy

The crown is recessed...

[​IMG]

The trigger is the same on both of mine...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is that the trigger you're referring to? I don't even know if these are factory triggers. I don't have any experience with Ruger Mark pistols prior to these two.

20. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Yep. The US Army actually has an FM or TM manual for the MKII, though I cannot locate it in searches.

Many references I've came across state they were/are used at OCS(officer candidate school) locations. Most likely for shooting technique development. This would make sense, since every officer I ever seen was issued a pistol at their permanent party. Same with senior NCO's.