close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I shot my first 1911 today!! Range Report and I need some advice.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by kgain673, Mar 15, 2010.

1. kgain673

kgain673

I've been shooting for a while now and I've shot my share of pistols, but today I had the day off and rented a 1911 ( Rock Island base model ). There was only 2 hiccups, two failures to feed, but I think that was from a bad mag that broke during the session ( the floor plate broke and the spring went flying down range) I current own a G27 and have shot the G30, G33, and G19, and love them all. But today I noticed that that Rock Island 1911 made me look like a know what I'm doing. I was shooing the bulls eye at 25 yards without a problem and with GI sights (on a small target)! So now I'm hooked big time! The only problem is that I have small hands and had problems reaching the slide release, so I'm wondering if the smaller mid size and compact versions are as accurate as the full size models even with the shorter sight radius? Also I'm not willing to spend a bundle on a handgun, so I'm just looking for a home/range/beater 1911 that will not require a ton of work out of the box. I'm looking at Para's GI experts, Springer GI's, and kinda looking at Tarus PT's, kinda. And yes I've been using the search function, I'm just looking for some advice.

2. Unicron

Unicron Millennium Member

i have no experience with the shortered barrelled 1911's...but it seems the full size tend to be more reliable as far as feeding.

i think there are alot of people have trouble reaching the mag release on 1911's. i also don't have large hands...but i have learned to shift my grip over while re-loading. i practiced a few times at home with my 1911...and when it came time to do it during an IDPA match...it went robotically.

i recommend a springfield by the way.

3. doc540

doc540

re: "short barrel 1911's"

yes...just DO IT!

[​IMG]

4. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Compacts are nice too!!
    [​IMG]

5. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

The shorter sight radius can affect your accuracy, but not the gun's accuracy and this usually will not matter at "handgun distances," and not at the distances your likely to use the handgun defensively.

Para and Springer, Taurus is fine but the trigger's a bit worse than the Para and Springer in my limited experience.

6. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

"The only problem is that I have small hands and had problems reaching the slide release..."

Well getting a 1911 with a shorter barrel won't change where the slide release is. You could try one of these though...
    [​IMG]

7. tedwhite

tedwhite Millennium Member

I have a full-size RIA 1911A1, and I also have small hands. In combat shoots I pull out the next mag and as I move it toward insertion I push the mag release with my thumb; out goes the empty mag, in goes the full one.

As Unicorn mentioned, try shifting your grip, at home, and (obviously) with an empty weapon. Practice. You might get good at it.

8. kgain673

kgain673

good point, I think I'll stay with the full size guns.

9. Y-NotG23

Y-NotG23

I hear what you are saying about being able to reach the slide release.
    I only use it when I want to lock the slide back and when I want to release the slide without loaded mag. I've heard that it's not good to let the slide slam shut on an empty chamber.

Any other time I simply pull back the slide and let go.

10. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

You can easily get hooked on the accuracy of a 1911. I am by no means a great shot. I am barely an above average shot, but here are some results from my 1911's. Two are commander sized and three are officer sized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. CMG

CMG

Among those choices, the Springfield would be my first pic (and could also serve as a good base gun for later custom work... you never know), with the Rock Island second. The Taurus my son owned did not overly impress me... but he had no major issues with it.

There are also magazine releases that offer a slightly extended button, I can easily hit them without shifting my grip, but they are not so long as to cause any issues in the holster.

I prefer those from Ed Brown, but they are available from a number of makers.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  12. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

I would suggest a Springer Mil Spec over their GI model. Better sights, beveled and lowered ejection port, and beveled magwell are a few of the upgrades you get for not much more money. I bought a LNIB Mil Spec in December for $525 shipped.

13. huntall50

huntall50

Since you fell in love with 1911 while shooting a RIA why not buy the RIA CS or GI. Can be found on Gunbroker. I stay away from using the slide release and just rack the slide every time.

14. kgain673

kgain673

I'm just a little reserved about pulling the " Trigger " on a RI, and the Taurus is out of the question (too many bad reviews on this site). The Springer Mil spec is my first choice and the Para GI Expert is a close second. The RI Tactical is going for about $510 NIB here in MD, and the Springers are going for $100-150 more then the RI's. To me that's a no brainer spend the money now and proudly pass it on my kids when I'm done shooting. I'm just not going to spend a grand on handgun.

15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

For what you want I would get a Springfield Mil Spec, Para GI expert or a RIA. Full size is your friend if you want to shoot well and want reliability. You can probably get thinner grips and a flat main spring housing and address your hand size issue, slide stop use is oprional, you can always sling shot the slide or release it with your off hand thumb. At least you won't lock it back by accident with the tip of your thumb!

Welcome to the addiction, I mean club.