I see most folks are using masks in Walmart, where the heck are they getting them?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Detectorist, Apr 8, 2020.

1. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Yep, it's all about the straps. I use masks for woodworking and steel work. Buy em in 100 count boxes, because it's cheaper, but throw out maybe half of them because the rubber straps deteriorate and they simply won't stay on your face.

Everyone wants to be different but YOUR BIG HEAD doesn't qualify you :D

2. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

I have one. My wife bought some back during the Ebola outbreak. (she travels a lot). Once this one's worn out, it's old school bandana.

I used the mask for the first time today. The brief moment of embarrassment was replaced by a shocking revelation that, yes, this is reality. Not some apocalyptic movie, but everyday shopping for groceries. WTF, doesn't begin to describe it.

Is it hogwash? Overreaction? I don't know. I do know I've been hospitalized for pneumonia more than once, and it's no fun, so, I'll play along for the time being.

3. Deltic

Deltic

I got my mask out of a box in the closet. If one of those big volcanoes in the western part of the state erupted I didn't want my lungs clogged with ash.

4. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Hopefully you'll understand why government isn't the solution

t1tan likes this.
  5. Teecher45

Teecher45

Some people ordered them before they were gone.
    Just like ammo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers, pAZ Ron, flyover and 4 others like this.
  6. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

I bought these a couple of weeks ago, looks like they cost $2 more now and won't be back in stock for a couple of weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VHMY3ML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just pull up the lower half over my mouth and nose and let the head covering hang in the back. They aren't ideal but they aren't too bad if you're only wearing them for a short time. None of these things really protect the wearer, they're more to protect the other people you're around.

I also have a couple of N95s, but I don't think they're the right kind. They have a vent hole to help breathe, I think they just supposed to be for dust. I've used a bandana cowboy style a couple of times.

I ordered a 10 pack of these Monday night for $6.50 plus, I think about $7 shipping. They're $9.50 a pack now though. Again, I'm sure they don't protect you from anything, but better than nothing.

https://www.ninelineapparel.com/pro...inment-mask-10-pk?_pos=6&_sid=8f73194e3&_ss=r

GRT45 and Teecher45 like this.
  7. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Wearing a mask or face covering while in public is to keep the other guy safe from you, not the other way around.

Everybody gets that, right?

8. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

Yup. That's why I said this in the post above yours.
    "None of these things really protect the wearer, they're more to protect the other people you're around."

jame likes this.
  9. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

I’m in there all the time but nobody has bothered to ask me where I got mine at all?

80EFDA5F-3543-488A-8A56-1A038A2C0632.jpeg

10. Detectorist

Detectorist

Not really true.

11. Detectorist

Detectorist

Thanks, I ordered 10 too. Hope it's a legitimate company!!

12. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

It's Nine Line Apparel, they are very well known and legitimate. Owned and ran by veterans. I have several of their shirts and hoodies.

13. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

GRT45 likes this.
  14. anjroid86

anjroid86

Mom sent me a few. Otherwise I would still look like Kenny. 20200407_165929.jpg

15. bubbatime

bubbatime

You had since January. The news was ramping up daily. I KNEW this was going to be the big one. So I purchased 50 mask from Home Depot back in January. I’ve given all my extended family 2 mask each since they didnt read the writing in the wall like I did. I also purchased several thousand dollars worth of food and don’t have to leave the house for at least a year if I don’t want to. I made daily trips to ALDI to purchase vast amounts of canned goods back in January. Lots of peanut butter and jelly, flour, sugar, and yeast to make fresh bread too.

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Not everybody based on some of the moronic posts I see on this forum. Some of the idiots think it is their Constitutional right to pass their virus on to innocent people and end up murdering 2% of the unfortunate people they infect.

jame likes this.
  17. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I read a theory that the home style TP shortage is real.

The theory goes that before CV19 about 30% of all TP sold was the thin stuff on big rolls used by schools, restaurants and other businesses which are now closed. Or individually wrapped rolls of the same industrial grade TP old in 80 roll cases or pallets. All of which is sold by distributors that have long term contracts with their clients and are not setup to sell to grocery stores and Walmart. We aren't using more TP but are using a lot more at home. Demand has exceeded supply and price cannot be adjusted to compensate due to price gouging laws. Since until now demand was very steady TP manufacturers have just barely enough capacity to maximize efficiency and reduce cost so they cannot suddenly make more of home style TP. So if you see TP, buy it.

If this theory was true there would be mountains of TP piling up at closed businesses and if that was true I would think it would be all over social media. I also find it hard to believe that a distributor with a bunch of 80 roll packs of TP could not find a way to sell it. But there is probably at least some truth in that theory. I have heard of some restaurants offering a roll of TP with every order. Maybe they do have a big pile of it in a closet somewhere.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  18. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

This is 100% correct, just one of the many things that people take for granted. Our world essentially operates on just in time logistics which is one of the biggest reasons large retailers can keep costs down. It works perfectly 99% of the time but ohh boy the 1% it doesnt is a friggin disaster.

Bomber Nav, AdamRodgers and Grayson like this.
  19. papershoot

papershoot

Masks were one of the last preps that I bought and I almost waited too long. After I seeing that the price of N95 masks had doubled on Amazon and Harbor Freight had none, I looked at Lowes and Home Depot online. I took a chance and drove to a nearby town that had some showing at a HD. I spent $60, thinking I could return them if not needed. Most of the more affordable bulk boxes were gone. The ones W/O the vent make my glasses fog.
    I am wearing a 3M N95 with the vent when I do my grocery shopping. I have shared some masks with family members. My wife started making some from cotton fabric, but she never leaves the house. I love the way the government started saying N95 masks were only for medical personnel, like hospitals source from Home Depot. This was the first time that I had ever bought mask, though I should have used one when I was cutting cement board years ago.

20. Lot

Lot

So you panic-bought more than you needed?

[​IMG]

AdamRodgers, pAZ Ron, flyover and 2 others like this.